Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last batch of M-44's that my dealer got there was evidence of there being a plate or something nailed to side off buttstock on 4 out of 5 carbines he got.The billboard import stamp seems smaller.The Carbines matched with stamped #'s or Electric pencilled bolts with all cyrillic prefixes included.All had cleaning rods.This is Izhevsk 1946 in late war stock.

·
Diamond Member
5,815 Posts
Interesting find. My fiirst thought was a plate for a rack number but who knows. Are you going to keep the two remaining nails in the stock? Denny

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Intresting!

My first tought was on the recently pics of afghanistan's guards with m44s,
but the plate seems to be different....

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
me too since I saw these pics.

I'm sure that when in the future these carbine will be substitute, and available ( if will not be destroied...) we'll find some new great variations for our collections.....
The Mosin Nagant is a never ending story.... ;)

Regards.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
You see similar marks on a lot of Vietnam war capture rifles. These were award plates as these rifles seemed to have been handed out as trophies to visiting dignitaries, officers, etc. The ones that I have seen on Viet war pieces had much smaller holes;almost like brads. I suppose special units (drill, etc) might have had a similar set-up in the Soviet bloc to make their rifles look special.

·
Silver Bullet member
883 Posts
That is where the Honour Gaurd rifle plaque was attached :)

Quite possibly inventory tag, or Unit tags?

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
Maybe those M44s that the Afghan guards are using are marked with that plate to signify they are non fireable, The President of US, the president of Afghanistan , and other high officials including Secret Service don't want shootable weapons near the Prez.
Remember what happened to Sadat in Egypt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts