Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the going rate for a Plainfield M1 carbine these days ? Got one down at a local hole in the wall, didn't look it over other than sittin up there in the rack. He's asking 399.00 for it. Not really looking for one either, just saw it there when I went in to get some patches and solvent.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,931 Posts
especially if you can talk him down....price depends on condition, too.

·
Copper Bullet member
5,395 Posts
Here in texas, the last one I saw went for $425.00. I guess not a bad price considering it was in great shape. I did not buy it since I have a WW2 Inland that I bought 15 years ago for $179.00.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OH Boy..where in MI are you??

There is one by me for less than that in good shape??
I am in SE MI
Hey Tonka45, I am in the Detroit area suburbs.
As I said , I am not really looking for one, I just spotted it while getting some supplies, and wonderd if he was pricing reasonably.

Kerry

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey Tonka45, I am in the Detroit area suburbs.
As I said , I am not really looking for one, I just spotted it while getting some supplies, and wonderd if he was pricing reasonably.

Kerry
I work in Warren but live near Port Huron...where do you shoot at?? I shoot at Bluewater

I have seen them in the area anywhere from 300 to 425,,,closer to Detroit seems more expensive. There were 2 in this area a few weeks ago..one for 325 other for 399 so wondered if it was same one you were looking at

·
Registered
124 Posts
I picke d up one yesterday for only $250.00! Private sale. It is a beuty. MInt metal and some GI parts such as Stock, rear sight, front sight??, safety latch, hammer, mag catch, barrel band, GI sling and oiler. it came with 2 loaded 15 round mags. I have a IBM and winchester carbine but Could not turn this baby down. it is a early serial number also. Previous owner said it shot dead on at 50 yards. He wasnt fooling as I took it out this morning and at 50 yards off the bench it put them all in a 25 Yard pistol target;All in the small black part that is a nd close together. Shoots more accurately than even my GI carbines. Grab it!

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,319 Posts
The Plainfield is not GI, but is a somewhat less common commercial model. I guess it depends on preference. Some collectors seek commercial guns, and others won't consider them at all. For those who will own one, I suppose that a Plainfield could command a premium over a comparable conditioned Universal.

Figure that carbines in general have nearly doubled in value over the past 10 years.

·
Registered
17,014 Posts
so last post here was 9 years ago. what is going price these days?
In a market dominated by AR's, the carbine is no longer the light weight semi auto weapon of choice as it was in the late 60s to early 70s...its time has come and gone.

Universal or Plainfield, it will bring less than a AR so that means $500 or less.

Ammo for carbines...hit or miss these days, its like Krag ammo, you got to hunt to find it

·
Registered
17,014 Posts
Boomer...roger on the above site but the fact is, carbine ammo ain't on many stores shelves and has been uncommon for years. Even CMP does not always have a steady supply.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
50,645 Posts
I'd agree with milprileb, today (2016) most I see are well under $500 for a plainfield, the last one was $350. The only ones I see going for more are those from dealers trying to find a sucker who doesn't know it's not a USGI model. On the carbine ammo, Walmart in KY sells it and I'd have to say it's fairly common in these parts, at least way more than Krag ammo (changes are if someone asked for that the salesperson would hand them 30-06 :)). Oddly most shops around here have it in with the handgun ammo, I guess because it usually comes in 50rd boxes?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
As for the comment the Carbine is "no longer the light weight semi auto of choice" is quite misleading as five GI Carbines in a rack priced at a grand will sell much faster than five AR's priced hundreds lower. Where the AR is the workhorse of today the Carbine is in great demand as a shooter/collectable. Ammo is available just about anywhere ammo is sold and is currently manufacturered by all of the major loading companies.
I have no problem feeding my pile of U.S. carbines other than the cost running a bit more than .223. Plainfield carbines have always been regarded as among the best of the commercial endeavors (excluding the new Rockola and Inland entries) but never could approach the price of a GI.
I Have collected Carbines since that first 1963 DCM release and truly love the little rifles, although I also have thirty five AR's in the racks that now take up the majority of my ammo when on a shooting session.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts