Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nero
Posted - 06/28/2007 : 05:28:01 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought a Husqvarna M40 9mm pistol and I'm hoping that someone here can answer a few questions about the M40 for me:

I've read on several websites that the M40 is prone to having its bolt crack with regular use. I read that this is due to poor quality steel, using hot ammo, and the bolt accelerator being used in non-arctic temperatures. Is this true, or just more internet myth? If it is true, is it advisable to remove the bolt accelerator? Will the M40 function OK/safely in warm climates (I live in FL) without the bolt accelerator? I plan on using milder, Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ ammo in the M40.

Also, after approx. how many rounds fired should the M40's recoil spring be changed, and how difficult is it to remove the recoil spring guide-rod nut so that the recoil spring can be changed?

Finally, the serial number on my M40 is D109xx, can anyone here tell me when my M40 was made?

Thanks.

jorma
Posted - 06/28/2007 : 07:49:36 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi nero, using hot ammo ( 9mm ammo made for submachine guns) is the reason for cracks,
many of Lahti pistols that went through the had cracked receivers and were arsenal rebuilt
after war and receivers were changed beefed up models.
If only normal pistolloads have been used you don`t have to worry.

No info of accelator causing any problems in any climate, no idea how many shots it will
take but you have to remember that Lahti pistol was decigned for army use and is more
stronger than Luger.
HVA M-40 is copy of Lahti and was manufactured in Sweden under licence.

sbhva
Posted - 06/28/2007 : 09:06:58 AM

Nero;
Your pistol was part of the Danish police contract (the D prefix in the serial number) and most likely will not suffer from the cracking. The pistols used by the Swedish military are the ones subject to cracking from the use of the much hotter sub-machine gun ammo in them. If you look through the past posts on this forum, you will find some pictures that show the areas subject to cracking.

When you fire your pistol, you will find that it cycles more reliably with hotter ammo.

AWO425
Posted - 06/28/2007 : 1:15:46 PM

Those danish issued m/40 are real good, not shot much.
Got two of them, one D prefix the other Rplt stamped.

There is a special part for tuning the trigger, called "justerplat" in swedish, got one and fittet it, makes a real difference, no more creep!!!

But best trigger so far was on a H series m/40 I had the chance to inspect, could not belive it!!!!!

My m/40s cycle even with the weakest ammo perfectly, some loads did not cycle my Luger but the m/40 :)))))

jorma
Posted - 06/28/2007 : 4:05:05 PM

Hi nero, is your HVA early or later production model, the later has quite large trigger
guard never seen the early model.

AWO425
Posted - 06/29/2007 : 02:08:39 AM

Had once nearly bought a m/40 with early style frame, but the slide hade cracks near the accellerator:((((
Chris

nero
Posted - 06/29/2007 : 03:08:30 AM

Thanks to all for the helpful/informative replies. I guess I'll leave tha accelerator be, and just avoid hotter loads.

Has anyone here installed a new recoil spring on a M40?

Jorma, my M40 has the larger trigger guard.

AWO425
Posted - 06/29/2007 : 1:40:33 PM
Here is the one which I nearly bought:

AWO425
Posted - 06/30/2007 : 08:34:38 AM
Here are my own:

Vladymere
Posted - 07/01/2007 : 6:38:45 PM

I took the accelerator out of mine having read the same info you did nero. My pistol would not cycle with out it in place. Obviously I put it back in place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Danish m/40S Holster?

I have a Danish model with the "D" serial number prefix. What I want to know is if the holster likely came with the pistol. I have heard that most of them are black, but mine is dark brown. It has side pouches for two magazines, a loading tool and a cleaning rod. The cover flap has the same crown over HV mark as the back of the receiver. Although it looks sort of black in the photo, it is definitely brown. The pistol serial number is in the low 7000 range if that makes any difference.

I would appreciate any input you might have concerning this matter.

Thank you,
Copacetica

1 - 2 of 2 Posts