Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tom Nowliing
Posted - 12/30/2004 : 9:25:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just wondering how many of you own a B76? I have had mine for about 10 years and love the gun. Just not a lot of info about them. Do any of you have importers marks on them. I cannot find any on mine and wondered who imported them.

Tom Nowling

SteveMcP
Posted - 01/01/2005 : 03:51:09 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I have a B76 in 9mmP, a B80 in .30 Luger, and a B82 in 9mm Ultra. The B82 was a used European Police trade-in imported by Simpson in IL a year or 2 ago. Benelli pistols were imported back in the 1970's by Sile in NYC (at that time a major importer of European guns), from whom I bought the B76 around 1980. I got the B80, which is a Sile import, from CDNN about 10 years ago. Both are stamped in small letters on the dust cover "Sile N.Y.N.Y."
BTW, CDNN still has magazines and wooden grips for the B76/80 pistols, which both use the same mags. B82 mags are different, and hard to come by.
These amazing pistols are just about my favorites (hard chromed interiors, fixed-barrel accuracy, great SA trigger pulls, adjustable mainspring tension, and the best magazine release ever put in any pistol design). Damned shame they don't make them anymore. Not enough people appreciate quality and innovation. Just make another boatload of old 1911's I guess! SteveMcP

Tom Nowliing
Posted - 01/01/2005 : 08:07:22 AM
Steve,
Thanks for the reply. I regret that I didn't buy any more B76's when I had the chance. I have seen a few at gun shows over the years.
I did contact Benelli and they suggested that my gun might have been a private purchase in Italy by military or diplomatic personel and brought in that way?
I have seen statements to the effect that about 10,000 or so were made. I don't know if that includes all the variants or not.
Like you said, it is a fantastic pistol. My only concern about shooting it is parts breakage and replacement.
Tom

tbaus
Posted - 01/03/2005 : 10:37:57 PM
I have a B76 that I bought in the early 80's. I consider it to be remarkable little pistol. It really points naturally and has been flawless. I have probably shot less than 500 rounds through it though. It is in the gunsafe right now so I don't have it accessable to look at the import stamp. I will look soon and get back to you. I saw one other at a gunshow about 6 years ago I wish I had bought. I picked up a set of grips and an extra mag at CDNN a couple years back. It doesn't need the grips, but I thought I better snap up a pair of grips while they are available. I loaned it to my brother to shoot at a bowling pin shoot when he visited. He doesn't shoot much and hadn't shot this pistol before. Nine millimeter is a handicap in itself in a pin shoot, but he won a couple of the matches. Kinda' inspires confidence in the old gal... Good shootin'...

pippin53
Posted - 01/14/2005 : 3:14:38 PM
I have a B76 that I like very much but has a FTF 1-2 times per magazine. Even with brand new mags. Is this a recoil spring problem? If so, what do you recommend for this? I've never replaced anything on a pistol. Also, anyone know where to get the owners manual for this gun? Would polishing the feed ramp allow it to feed hollow point ammo?
Thanks, Ken

SteveMcP
Posted - 01/14/2005 : 5:47:47 PM
Pippin53: The feed ramps on all my Benellis came from the factory very nicely polished, and since the internal parts are hard chromed to begin with, I doubt that that is the problem. While I have never had any feeding problems with them, one source of your trouble may be the Luger-like steep feed angle of the magazine. When I have had a poor feeding Luger mag, one fix that has helped is to remove the follower and reach down inside the forward, inside part of the magazine body and give it a good polishing. I use a Dremel tool with a small felt bob and Flitz polish at the lowest speed. Don't overdo it, just brighten it up a little. This helps keep bullet noses from dragging on their way out of the mag and helps them feed.

If you send me your address at [email protected], I will send you a photocopy of the owner's manual. SteveMcP

SteveMcP
Posted - 01/14/2005 : 7:14:44 PM
It has taken me some time to locate them, but I have found 2 very informative articles on the design and history of the Benelli B76/80/82 series that I remembered reading some years ago.

They are: "Benelli's B76" by Donald M. Simmons in 1984 Gun Digest (a detailed technical analysis of the Benelli mechanism), and "Requiem for the Benelli Pistol Family" by Donald MacLaren,1990 Guns Illustrated, also a detailed tech article and examination of the reasons for its sad demise.

Anything you ever wanted to know about the amazing, underappreciated Benelli pistols.

Tom Nowliing
Posted - 01/14/2005 : 8:35:07 PM
Steve,
Sent you an e-mail about those articles.
Tom

SteveMcP
Posted - 01/15/2005 : 01:05:06 AM
Tom, it is about 1 AM Saturday, and no e-mail has come through. Don't know why not. Did you send it to my verizon address, or my hotmail address? SteveMcP

SteveinCT
Posted - 01/15/2005 : 05:51:02 AM
Pippin53:

Benneli B-76s always had a reputation for FTFs with HPs. The gun was designed for hardball. That's basically what killed its sales in the
US - that and the fact that the double column "wonder nine" rage was
just beginning around 1980 in the US.

The B-76 is an awesome, feels good in your hand easy to shoot pistol.
Just use hardball and you'll be fine.

Tom Nowliing
Posted - 01/15/2005 : 08:51:14 AM
SteveMcP...sent you another using the board's system. Don't know why the mail didn't get to you. I used the verizon address. Mail me at:
[email protected]. You will probably get a "spamblocker" message , but I will add you to my mail. Tom

pippin53
Posted - 01/15/2005 : 11:47:18 AM
Tom, I hope you don't mind me highjacking your post, but I'm really taken with these unique pistols. I just wish I could solve the feeding problem. I only shoot hardball through it, but still have these failures. I'll try the magazine polishing you suggested, SteveMcP. Also, does anyone take any special pains to clean and oil their mags? I wonder if this may be a problem. I clean my guns but have never cleaned the mags. Do they need to be oiled? Thanks for all the help. Ken

Tom Nowliing
Posted - 01/15/2005 : 3:39:24 PM
Ken,
Don't know if I help you or not. I do know that mine is pretty picky about ammo also. Some 9 mm rounds are even a smidge to long and cause feeding problems. I just looked at my mags and have a question for you. Is your follower plastic or metal? The factory mag has a polished metal follower and my spare has a black plastic one. The metal one does seem to slide easier. Which does yours have?
Tom

pippin53
Posted - 01/15/2005 : 5:05:06 PM
I've got several mags and all have plastic followers except one. I thought that one had the plastic broken off. I didn't know there were two kinds. These pistols seem to be pretty tough. Any parts known to break in them? Where would one find spare parts? I wonder if the mags could be modified to make them feed better or feed HPs? Any ideas about about taking off a little metal at the top edge next to the feed ramp as a way to perhaps accomplish this? Ken

Tom Nowliing
Posted - 01/15/2005 : 5:33:25 PM
Look around for H/P rounds with a round nose profile. There must be some.I picked up some reloads at a gun show a while back that were pretty much a round nose bullet but had a h/p, as I recalled they worked OK. I wouldn't do much to the mag except polish it. Its been my experience that mags can get ruined pretty quickly by bending/removing metal from the feed lips.
As to parts!!! Lets hope that none of us will ever need any. I don't know if Benelli would be much help although they did send me a photocopy of the manual once.
Tom

SteveMcP
Posted - 01/15/2005 : 6:52:53 PM
In my experience, the best feeding factory 9mm HP ammo is the Remington 115 grain HP. Its profile is close to ball. Even better was Federal's 124 grain Nyclad HP, because it was so slick, but they don't sell it anymore. In reloading for all my 9mm pistols, I favor the Hornady 124 grain FNFMJ, the "Air Force" bullet, over 4.5 grains of PB (the load recommended by the late Dean Grennell). It is as accurate a 9mm load as I have ever fired, mild yet reliable, and it feeds well, including in the B76.

If you ever see a B80 in 30 Luger, grab it! The ballistics out of this very strong mechanism can be impressive, and the feeding of this bottleneck case is flawless. I've developed loads that move the Sierra 85 grain SP at 1,500fps with no excessive pressure signs, and groups under 2" at 25 yds. I have fitted MMC adjustable sights designed for the Kahr K9 to mine.

pippin53
Posted - 01/15/2005 : 7:02:19 PM
Thanks, fellas. Great information. I'll bet that .30 luger ammo is quite expensive if you can find it. How does it recoil compared to the 9mm?
Ken

pippin53
Posted - 01/15/2005 : 7:04:17 PM
Where do you find .30 Luger and 9mm Ultra ammo?
Ken

Tom Nowliing
Posted - 01/15/2005 : 8:03:20 PM
Boy, I could kick myself. About 2 years ago, could have picked up a B76 in 30 Luger with a extra 9mm barrel for $350. Won't happen again!!

By the way, Steve..do you have any leads on spare mags,parts,etc??

SteveinCT
Posted - 01/15/2005 : 8:36:51 PM
Unfortunately, not locally. CT shooters used to frequent Sile's retail store in Meriden, CT.
(They got out of the retail gun business some years ago) During the '80s and early '90s Sile's retail store used to be a great place to find all versions of Benellis and the "Sphynx" CZ clones and an awesome array of milsurps (days gone by)

SteveMcP
Posted - 01/15/2005 : 10:52:42 PM
.30 Luger ammo is available from Winchester (93 grain FMJ) and Fiocchi (93 grain FMJ and SP). J&G in AZ has been a source for the Fiocchi, and any dealer can easily order the Win. Also, Samco in Miami has 30 Luger ammo that's supposed to be 70's Finnish surplus, but it costs 30 cents/rd, and I think it's Berdan. Recoil on my loads in Fiocchi brass can be snappy, but muzzle rise is moderate, because the bullet is light.

Boxer-primed Geco brand 9mm Ultra is often available from SOG, and Fiocchi still lists the caliber on their website. The Geco cases can be reloaded using 9mm Parabellum dies with a .380ACP shellholder (they measure .379 at the neck, .386 base, .369 rebated rim). I use 9x18 Makarov data with 102 grain Rem Golden Sabers for about 1050 fps.

CDNN has spare mags for the B76/80 (they're the same), as well as factory wooden grip panels. I've never seen parts anywhere else.

SteveMcP
Posted - 01/15/2005 : 11:11:42 PM
Tom, I just looked on CDNN's website, and they no longer list the Benelli mags or grips. They had this stuff listed for years, I guess they finally sold out. Ken, SOG doesn't have any 9mm Ultra listed, but they get shipments from Germany now and again. Samco still lists 30 Luger ammo, 79-81 date, Berdan NC, Lapua made. Pricey for nonreloadable, I'll stick with Fiocchi & Winchester.

SteveMcP
Posted - 01/16/2005 : 12:51:02 AM
Fellows, for what it's worth, I was fooling around on the net and just spotted a guy with a nice looking B80 30 Luger for sale. He's in Ohio at thegunrunner.net, got a photo of it up, and wants $399.99 for it. I don't know him, but that seems a reasonable price for a hard to find item. As I've said, I love my B80 even more than the B76, and would probably buy this one if my fortune wasn't already tied up in food, shelter, etc.

Tom Nowliing
Posted - 01/28/2005 : 6:35:53 PM
SteveMcP..Just got home today and got the info you sent!! Wow!! What a wealth of info on the B76.You made my day.
Thanks
Tom Nowling

pippin53
Posted - 01/28/2005 : 10:30:45 PM
I'd like to add my thanks too, Steve. Kind of you to send those articles. I wonder if they were written by the same guy? Some passages were similar. Lots of good info.
Ken

Tom Nowliing
Posted - 01/29/2005 : 08:08:36 AM
The article did clear up my thoughts on my mags. I had always thought that the one with the plastic follower was not factory but I guess it is.
The article about variations also caused me more questions. My gun is in the middle of production (if 10,000 were made) but it doesn't fit some of his list. I guess its just part of the mystery.
Tom

SteveMcP
Posted - 01/29/2005 : 10:07:02 PM
Glad I could help, fellows. Ken, I'm still looking for that manual, will send as soon as I find it. SteveMcP

pippin53
Posted - 01/30/2005 : 8:26:35 PM
Thanks,Steve. Looking forward to getting it. Do you have any idea if some of my feeding problems could be solved with ajustment of the mainspring tension?
Ken

SteveMcP
Posted - 01/31/2005 : 03:54:58 AM
Ken, it depends on what kind of FTF you have. I can't see how the mainspring, which only powers the hammer, should have any effect on feeding. If the type of FTF you have causes a "nose-down" malfunction, sometimes it is a weak magazine spring, which isn't lifting the column of cartridges fast enough to be in sync with the fast-cycling slide. Sometimes this problem also results in a FTF where the breechface contacts the side of the case, forward of the rim, and pinches it badly.

If I assume that your problems include all your magazines, then maybe it's a design flaw, as some have suggested. I'd be surprised, though, since my B76 feeds fine with almost every brand of milsurp and commercial ball I've used in it for 25 years, which is a lot of different ammo. Not all HP ammo feeds well, which I don't think is a function of nose shape, as much as one of length (OAL).

Since the 9mm is a tapered case, an 8 round stack of them assumes a cumulative curved shape, which can cause a round that is too short to adopt a nose-down position in the mag, and thereby bind. A curved magazine, like some 9mm subguns have, is the best solution to this, but such a design can't be used in a pistol. A steeply slanted mag like the Benelli exacerbates this tendency, because it tends to force the rear end of the cartridge up, causing the bullet, especially if it is a short type, to pitch down (Lugers have the same problem). The trick is to tweak your ammo OAL so that it isn't so short that it pitches down, yet not so long that it simply gets stuck in the mag. In my experience, no brand of 90 grain bullet will work in the Benelli, but I don't care, since I see no use for so light a bullet in 9mm. I haven't had good results with Speer Gold Dots of any weight at any length in the B76, but Hornady 124 grain XTP's and FNFMJ's loaded to 1.09" over 4.5 gr. of PB in WCC brass with WSP primers feed perfectly in my B76, and are very accurate.

If you want a factory HP load that works well in these guns, try the 115 grain Remington HP. My gun doesn't like Rem Golden Saber, and isn't too happy with Federal 9BP or Win Silvertip. It does OK with Hornady factory ammo, but not as well as my 1.09" XTP load with the same bullet.

I hope this helps, Ken, as I really believe that the answer to feed problems in the Benelli has to do with length, just as it does with Lugers (BTW, the same loads mentioned above work fine in my 1939 S42 Luger, which is a REALLY picky feeder, so I suspect they'll work in almost any 9mm). Just load a batch of ammo in incremental lengths with the XTP or FNFMJ "Air Force" bullet and I bet you'll find a recipe that works perfectly. Best of Luck, SteveMcP.

pippin53
Posted - 02/04/2005 : 5:51:08 PM
Steve,
Thanks so much for that response. I didn't know there were such subtle differences in cartridge length. I think my FTFs are related to weak recoil springs and I plan to change them. I don't reload so its not possible for me to change the length. Your help is much appreciated.
Ken

SteveMcP
Posted - 02/07/2005 : 12:37:14 PM
Ken, if you want to try different strength recoil springs, they are available from Wolff at gunsprings.com. They list B76 recoil springs at 10 lbs (factory standard), 12, and 14 lbs. Be careful when you change it to get the Belleville washers re-installed with the concave faces in the correct orientation.

As to cartridge OAL, if you prefer not to reload, try different brands of factory HP ammo, starting with Remington 115 grain HP (item #R9MM1), the same load at +P pressure (item #R9MM6), or the Hornady 124 grain XTP (#90242), or the 115 grain XTP (#90252).

Also, Ken,I finally found the Benelli manual (I have an awful lot of junk). I will copy it and mail it off tomorrow. SteveMcP
Edited by - SteveMcP on 02/07/2005 12:42:08 PM

albanian
Posted - 02/27/2005 : 09:54:52 AM
SteveMcP wrote,

"It has taken me some time to locate them, but I have found 2 very informative articles on the design and history of the Benelli B76/80/82 series that I remembered reading some years ago.

They are: "Benelli's B76" by Donald M. Simmons in 1984 Gun Digest (a detailed technical analysis of the Benelli mechanism), and "Requiem for the Benelli Pistol Family" by Donald MacLaren,1990 Guns Illustrated, also a detailed tech article and examination of the reasons for its sad demise."

Is there anyway you can post these articles on a web page for our viewing pleasure? I would like to read them since I just got a Benelli B-76 and I am hungery for any info I can find. If you could post a copy of the manual (or someone could), it would be great also.

BTW, I am in love with my B76. I have a thing for single stack 9mms for some reason so I have been looking for one of these for quite a while. I have never seen one in person before so when I came across a nice one at a gunshow yesterday, I had to buy it. It came with two mags and was in excellent condition. No box or manual. I love the grip angle of this gun and wish more guns had a natural pointing grip angle like this gun and the Luger. Why people think a 90 degree grip is the way to go is beyond me. 1911s and most guns point low.

SteveMcP
Posted - 03/10/2005 : 10:16:06 AM
Can't post these articles for copyright reasons, but an Amazon search should turn up used copies of the books cited at reasonable prices. SteveMcP

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cigarman
Posted - 03/07/2006 : 5:18:20 PM
Well, I don't generally post on this forum, but I thought some of you gentlemen (and ladies) might enjoy a post of my new acquisitions.

A short while ago I bought a B82 in 9mm ULTRA to go with my Walther PP Super and SIG 230 in that caliber (note the serial number):

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/cigarman/200637171457_Benelli B82 9mm ULTRA.jpg
Download Attachment:
54.7 KB

Now I have the bug and today I picked up a B77 in 7.65 (.32 auto). It is NIB with original box, manual, warantee card, trigger adjustment tool, bore brush and rod. (Extra barrel appears to be 9mm)

magnifico!!

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/cigarman/200637171749_Benelli B77 7.65.jpg
Download Attachment:
59.33 KB

1 - 2 of 2 Posts