Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ask me about my 390 lbs mother in law.
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about ready to throw my T/C Black Diamond out the door. I have been trying to get a load, any load, using Pioneer Powder, Shockey's Gold, to hit consistently. I fired over forty rounds yesterday, using 240 gr saboted hollowpoints, and 300 gr. hollowpoints and polymer tipped bullets, also saboted. One close hit and then complete miss on the target. The scope and mounts are tight and it was bore sighted. Guess I'll go back to Pyrodex and clean the barrel every couple o shots.

·
8,095 Posts
Uh....

Why not use real powder and patched round ball, the gun will shoot then AND hit what you are aiming at. In other words, quit wasting time with BP substitutes and bullets that were never meant to be used in a muzzleloader, use black powder and patched round balls, that's all you need to successfully hunt anything on the North American continent. And what's a "scope"?

(Sorry, couldn't resist. I do think you will have more success as well as less frustration with powder and bullets that really work. The gun will be easier to clean if you shoot BP.)

·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have and shoot my T/C Renegade rifle. No scope, just bare rifle. I made it myself when I worked for T/C back in the early 70's. Shot my first ten point buck with it. Biggest yet. Got the Black Diamond for the long shot as the eyes are dimming at 57 (today). Will try to work out the kinks on the plastic rifle. The Renegade is jumping around in the safe wanting to get back in the woods.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,176 Posts
I'm with you, stick with real black powder, and patched roundballs.
The other stuff, I wouldn't take it if they gave it to me, just having Shockey's name on it would be enough to turn me away.

Why not use real powder and patched round ball, the gun will shoot then AND hit what you are aiming at. In other words, quit wasting time with BP substitutes and bullets that were never meant to be used in a muzzleloader, use black powder and patched round balls, that's all you need to successfully hunt anything on the North American continent. And what's a "scope"?

(Sorry, couldn't resist. I do think you will have more success as well as less frustration with powder and bullets that really work. The gun will be easier to clean if you shoot BP.)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I found APP and Shockey's inconsistent in muzzleloading and switched to Pyrodex. Decent alternative if you can't get BP locally. Isn't clean like APP though - builds up like BP. 777 is OK in an inline and cleans very easily, even easier than APP.
Dennis

·
Platinum Bullet Member
696 Posts
I shoot a Great Plains Rifle and a older Renegade using RB and real black. My eyes have a very hard time picking up the sights especially in low light. (I am comeing up on 58)
My plan is to drill and tap the Renegade for scope blocks and put a fixed 4x on it.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
nothing but pyrodex in my TC hawkins and CVA in-line. the inline likes sabots, i use cast 44mag bullets, the Thompson has always preferred the maxi-balls but will also shoot round balls and sabots pretty good. maxi-balls are deadly but do kick a little more. try some buffalo bullets or maxis in your TC.

·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My scope was broken. My son tore down the rifle, cleaned every little part and then fired it. Found the scope was squeezed too tight and crimped it. on't know how I managed that. New scope and tight groups again. Whew! Thought I was going blind for a while.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
30mm scope in 1 inch rings..... i've done that also.

·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, that's what this is all about. It very well could have been the powder and I could have cured my headache. Went hunting this morning. My son nailed a buck about fifty yards from me in a thicket. Needless to say when he shot I jumped out of my fat. I emptied my gun on the way out. Free handed at a stick in the road about forty yards out. Cut it in half. The guns on. The deer aren't cooperating.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Congratualtions on the ¨fix¨. It seems quite accurate now! The deer will cooperate eventually, too many of them.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts