Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this neck of the woods it seems that threaded bbl Chinese sks,s are much more desired
than the pinned ones . I have apinned one that shoots as good as an sks can. What if any
differance is there in price ?
thanks for any & all input
jth

·
Silver Bullet member
290 Posts
The original SKS's and AK's were all threaded barrels. As manufacturing processes changed, they went to stamped parts and pinned barrels. The threaded, milled versions are more robust, but it will take you a LONG time to wear either version out!

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,503 Posts
Some when buying will talk down a pin barrel and expect a reduction in price, these same people when selling seldom discount in the same way ;) . IMO there is no difference and I perfer the pin barrels to threaded if given a choice (I am odd in this regard though). Alot of people I know seem to think the threaded barrels are best and will look for the threaded barrels exclusively, I just disagree with them :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Here in the midwest...

I have not encountered Chinese SKS rifles priced higher due to having a threaded barrel vs. pinned barrel. Chinese SKS rifles run about $175 - $225 around here.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the response. I think I agree ,if they are buying of course the pinned is worth less. If they are selling then it doesn,t matter ( lol ) The prices quoted above
pretty well reflect the market around here . ( $175-$225)
Thanks again
jth

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If you are an SKS collector a pinned barrel Chinese SKS is a must!
They are not that common.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,503 Posts
If you are an SKS collector a pinned barrel Chinese SKS is a must!
They are not that common.
Pinned barrel or riveted trunion? I think you're thinking riveted trunion as pinned barrels are somewhat common.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Here in the Eastern Pa area, I recently bought the only pinned barrel SKS I ever saw. I make it a point to look at every SKS I see at the shows. I am looking a Police marked Chinese SKS or a stamped one. I don't think there are that many pinned barrelled SKS's here in the NE. There aren't any pawn shop in NJ or Eastern Pa. either, which seems to be a good source for finding SKS's.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Personally, I think the whole pinned vs threaded 'controversy' is more a matter of taste and opinion than anything else. Practically speaking the point is moot, IMO, unless one anticipates the need to replace the barrel. Frankly, I have a great deal of trouble imagining a single individual actually firing an SKS or AK enough to wear-out a chromium lined barrel. Moving parts or gas system components are another matter, as would be damage due to abuse, accident or prolonged neglect.

Perception is reality to many folks, and some people seem to perceive that any deviation from the original manufacturing methods must in some way be 'inferior'. In actual fact, there are so many instances where changes from the 'traditional' practices not only reduced costs and increased speed of production but retained or even improved performance and/or durability in the field that listing them would take volumes. EG: Parkerizing, investment casting, lightweight alloys, chromium plating of areas subject to high temperatures and/or corrosive substances, polymer stocks and finishes, etc. ad nauseum.

Just because it ain't the way Grandpa did it doesn't make something 'inferior', nor does being faster or less expensive to produce unless it also results in a quantitative reduction in functional reliability, reduced performance or durability. In this case I really can't see where that's true.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clad it reminds me of a co-worker ( not a gun buff ) that was dubious of buying a used
Glock 17 from me . He was worried it was worn out . I told him that after he had fired
$2,000 worth of factory ammo in it , if he had problems I would buy it back for the price paid. At todays ammo prices I don,t think I can afford to wear out a Glock or an SKS

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,047 Posts
2 of my nicest rifles, ie, Special Police marked, are pinned. I have several others that are pinned. It doesn't make any difference to me, either way. I go for other characteristics, markings, condition, etc. Pinned doesn't bother me and lots of folks that buy and sell 'em don't know the difference anyway. If you said it was a pinned barrel, they'd look at you like you had 12 heads on your shoulders.....:rolleyes:

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,393 Posts
Switching from a screwed in barrel to a pinned barrel was just a production short cut. All else remained the same. I have not found any difference in accuracy between the two. Appearance is the only difference in my opinion. I think the screwed in are more attractive.

Both of the "Precision Degree Gun" marked SKS rifles I have in my collection are pinned.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Greetings,

I've owned SKS's for many, many years and sold a truckload of them back in the early 90's. The Chinese started out nice and got cheaper and cheaper, both in price and perceived quality. The Russians were a revelation when they were first imported. The stamped pieces and pinned barrels were just done so they could sell them cheaper. I doubt if they affected the function little if at all but they just looks crappy next to the earlier ones. If I only had one to use for a long, long time...I would go with the milled and threaded version.

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts