Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the thread about raising chickens (for eggs and meat), and I agree they constitute a good source for both.
But what about pigeons (the domestic, grey, "racing" kind).
Pigeon races are still very popular in europe (btw, you have to register your pigeons with the govt and give them a numbered ring, tradition from the time when they were used by spies for carrying messages) and my father (who is retired) has about 60 of them at any time. Not for racing, just to keep him occupied AND for food.
Pigeon meat is very healthy and strong, and can be prepared in many ways. They also lay eggs, though not as frequent as chickens. Pigeons are also easier to keep, as you can let the out and they will never stray from their home. Being able to fly away, they are also better protected against critters.
I was wondering if people raise pigeons in the states as well, and if not, why not?
I'm sure it could be considered for self-reliance situations.

Best regards,
A

·
Registered
895 Posts
No one really raises pigeons around these parts, but it seems like every holler has a couple of fighting gamecocks... I'm sure they're just for show, though ;-)

Some farmers do raise grouse and bobwhite quail to release on their farms for hunting stock, though. One local guy must have a had a decent population of chukar and pheasant on his land because occasionally we will see one pop up in our neighborhood. Strange sight to see when one is a thousand miles away from the Midwest bird fields.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Do you have to get a background check when you register those pigeons? :)
A friend at work raises racing pigeons. They cost to much to eat.

I have never had a chicken 'wander off' and have lost just a few due to critters. Most of the critters around our place die of HVL poisoning (high velocity lead)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts