Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gun Firearm Revolver Product Trigger
I have been reading all of the Cutting tool
good reports about Pietta revolvers with interest. Today I was at the Gun Works to buy some new nipples when I spotted a Pie Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
tta Remington. It is beautiful in cal 44 with another cylinder for 44 Colt. If it shoots a good as it looks I have a winner! Tool
My photography is not the greatest, but hopefully you can get an idea lof what my new revolver looks like

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the 44 LC came with the gun from Pietta. This is my first Remington and I am looking forward to shooting it Wednesday. I have been reading all of the positive things you guys have been saying about them and when I saw this gun with all of it's engraving, I had to have it. Last night I did a net search on the Pietta Remington and found a lot of postivie info, including good reports on accuracy.

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,894 Posts
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
That is one beautiful pistol gun. As for the 45 LC conversion cylinders. I can only vouch for the one I have for my Ruger but I shoot cowboy action loads in it and it is incredibly accurate, especially when someone else shoots it for me.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,504 Posts
I've got a Pietta 1858 Remington, and I can hardly hit a thing with it. Do y'all have a specific load that you could recommend to me, because if everyone else has great success with theirs, odds are that I'm dong something wrong. Trying to hit steel plates at 25 yards, I have to almost aim a FOOT low (and I am not exaggerating). I'm not a bad shot with a handgun, I do just fine with my modern automatics and revolvers.... :?

·
Copper Bullet member
722 Posts
I've got a Pietta 1858 Remington, and I can hardly hit a thing with it. Do y'all have a specific load that you could recommend to me, because if everyone else has great success with theirs, odds are that I'm dong something wrong. Trying to hit steel plates at 25 yards, I have to almost aim a FOOT low (and I am not exaggerating). I'm not a bad shot with a handgun, I do just fine with my modern automatics and revolvers.... :?
The purist are going to crucify me, but here is my load a Hogdon pyrodex .45 cal 30 (45/30) grain pellet and then no grease, wad, or nothing load a ,454 speer round ball seated all the way down. I have a pietta 1858 as well and love it. The .454 ball should peel a slight lead ring off of it as it is loaded. I am still experimenting with #10 & #11 caps to see which will not fall off as cylinder indexes. The grease has always made a huge mess especially in the summertime. Flashover is minimal due to pellet.

·
Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
I have to almost aim a FOOT low
If the pistol is shooting a good group, but that group is above your point of aim, necessitating a low hold, you just need to figure out how to add some height to the front sight. I saw an 1858 Remington a few years ago which had an 1858 dime cut in half, soldered in a dovetail base. The post front sight had been replaced with a dovetail slot and the new sight mounted there. looked pretty neat! I added metal to my existing front sight with a wire welder. Doesn't look as good as the dime, but functions to put the balls to point of aim at 25 yards.

A heavier bullet fired from a hand held handgun, will impact higher on the target, at short range, than a lighter bullet. If you've been shooting conicals, switching to round balls will make the groups hit lower, nearer to where your sights are looking. If you're already shooting round balls, you can't get much lighter than that,and so getting a lower point of impact by load manipulation isn't likely. Powder charge, in any practical amount, has little effect on how high or low the bullet goes, again, from a hand held handgun at close pistol ranges.

On the other hand, if it's not grouping, you may just have got a lemon.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,504 Posts
I've been using round balls (Hornady, IIRC). I have tried shooting for groups, but I could never even hit the paper with it usually. It wasn't until I started shooting at a steel plate rack with it that I realized how low it actually shot. Next time I take it out, I'll try for groups. The idea of adding to the front sight is logical, so if all else fails I may very well try that. If it is indeed just a lemon, then I guess I'll just enjoy it for what it is (a cool pistol that produced a BUNCH of smoke and noise!).

HK91, I use #11 caps and I crimp the sides in a little to give them a snug fit on the nipples. It works really well, because they never fall off until AFTER they have been shot.

·
Gold Bullet member
703 Posts
Get a big piece of news print or butcher paper and tack it on a target backer at the range. Put some sort of readily visible bullseye marker ( like froma package of Shoot and See targets ) in the middle. Load your revolver the way you normally have and start at 15 yards ( or more, its up to you ) and fire a full cylinder at the target. At this point you are only trying to visually confirm how low or high or right or left the gun shoots. Be consistent in loading, aiming, etc. If you get a good group but it is high, low, right or left this may tell you something about you and your technique or your sights. You will have to end up doing some tweaking of powder/filler or possibly the front sight but I think your first order of business is to see whether your pistol groups decently at whatever range you normally shoot. The large piece of backer paper gives you an irrefutable record of what the gun and you are doing at that particular moment. There are other ways and processes that folks use in getting their revolvers to shoot properly and I am only making a suggestion that is not carved in stone, just has worked for me. Most of the time we will find that the gun itself shoots fine but we are not doing our part. I am sure that you will get good information here from folks about what needs to be done. years ago when I was competing in skirmishes with The Civil War Skirmish Association I had a friend who liked shooting in the individual pistol matches. He wasn't much of a experimenter in developing loads-if the gun didn't hit paper well enough he bought another one. At last count, years ago he had 9 cap and ball revolvers and none of them shot they way he wanted. Some of the fellas in our outfit played with the pistols and they all ended up being competitive. It was a standing jke with us for a long time. Work at it, be systematic and you will get there. Good Luck, Joe

·
Copper Bullet member
722 Posts
I've been using round balls (Hornady, IIRC). I have tried shooting for groups, but I could never even hit the paper with it usually. It wasn't until I started shooting at a steel plate rack with it that I realized how low it actually shot. Next time I take it out, I'll try for groups. The idea of adding to the front sight is logical, so if all else fails I may very well try that. If it is indeed just a lemon, then I guess I'll just enjoy it for what it is (a cool pistol that produced a BUNCH of smoke and noise!).

HK91, I use #11 caps and I crimp the sides in a little to give them a snug fit on the nipples. It works really well, because they never fall off until AFTER they have been shot.
Mine also fall off after firing and jam the cylinder sometimes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts