Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to Copano Bay fishing pier this weekend, (left to right) my son, my brother-in-law, my son-in-law, me. I'm not making a fashion statement - it was really windy and it's a real old/floppy hat...

The son-in-law landed this black tip shark, just under 3 ft long

We also kept 2 gafftop catfish in the 3 to 5 lb range

My brother-in-law also landed a small stingray and I hooked an alligator gar in the 4 ft long range, he busted the line when we tried to net him. (Trust me, by next year it will have been a 6 foot gar!)

Great fun, too many hardhead catfish & no trout but well worth the trip!

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Strange - never caught catfish and shark from the same pier. Let alone Gar and Sting Ray.

All I ever seem to get from VA piers are Spots, Croakers, Bluefish, Sting Rays and a couple of different sharks. Every once in while we get lucky and get some Flounder, Speckled Trout, and Cobia (big time luck).

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Gosh that looks like fun, AND it looks like you had the whole pier to yourself! I hope there were a few cool ones in that cooler for after the cleaning was done. What do you do with the shark? I also noticed that someone ran a knife in that fishes head. is this to let them bleed out while on ice?

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you do with the shark?
Grilled, I hope. Sunday.

is this to let them bleed out while on ice?
It is to keep it from biting you!!!! They are not happy when out of water.

I bought this hat when we lived in Nevaada at the Lake Mead Marina. The guy said it was real well made - I'd lose it before I wore it out. I figure I'm still a few years from calling him a liar...

·
Silver Bullet member
1,419 Posts
Enjoy the fishing while you can.I live 10 miles from the Gulf of Mexico in Alabama and our waters are closed and our fish are dying.My Gulf fishing boat is setting in the Yard where it will probably stay forever.I just spent $500 getting it ready for Red Snapper Season and it stayed open a day and a half before they shut down the waters.We used to fish several times a week and catch lots of Fish.This was without a doubt the best place in the World to fish.I hope and pray everyday that I will get to fish again in the Gulf before I grow to old.I dont think we will be doing any fishing for Decades before this gets back to Normal.I have personal friends who USED to make there living of of Shrimping and commercial fishing as well as Charter Boat fishing.All of this is OVER and dont believe what you here on the News about B-P making these people whole.It aint going to happen and they will lose the only living they know.One of my friends is working for BP with his Shrimp boat and has been working in Mobile bay dragging booms and hasnt got paid a Dime yet.He has had to pay his Deckhand out of pocket and his fuel is supposed to be paid for by BP but his name is on the Charge ticket at the fuel dock.Lets pray for these guy's and hope that maybe oneday my Grandson can Fish these waters.Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts