Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Very nice! If a person was going to have only one m96, it might be that one right there. But then, limiting yourself to one is much easier said than done, and no fun whatsoever!

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,955 Posts
FSR M96. 48 grains of RL22!?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yeah, around here somewhere around 44 - 45 grains of RL22 seems to be where it's at. 44.5 for me on a 140gr. bullet. Alliant doesn't publish much on RL22 in a military 6.5X55.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Copied the load data published in an article written for the "Shotgun News" by David Fortier about shooting the CG 63.
This load maintains a velocity at 1000 yards of 300 - 400 fps over the speed of sound ,shooting 139 - 147 grain match bullets. Lapua brass , by far is the most accurate. Winchester is very good for shorter distances ,but it has a burr inside from the primer punch, that requires removing. And the primer pockets require sizing.
Read somewhere an article that stated Lapua has a manufacturing process that inserts a perfect sized, without a burr, primer pocket into the brass cases. Also, Winchester 6.5 x 55 brass does not have exactly correct dimensions. Shooting several different Swedes over the years, have not had bad pressure signs, head separations, and only one Lapua neck cracked case after several loadings.

·
Gold Bullet member
8,179 Posts
The Lyman manual load data for Rel 22 and a 140 gr bullet has 47 gr as max. Since the CG 63 has a slower twist rate compared to the M96, a higher powder charge will not have has much pressure as in the M96, but that is undocumented so I prefer to stay within published loads in current manuals.

Lapua brass has drilled primer flash holes, while most other makers just punch the hole.

Winchester 6.5x55 brass is made using the same machinery as for .308, so the base diameter is a bit narrower than SAAMI spec 6.5x55. I use it for my 6.5x55 Garand because I can load a full 8 round clip. With real 6.5x55, the Garand clip takes 7 rounds with normal tension.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
To Sheep’s point, over about 45 gr of R22 in a m/96 with sharp rifling, you might see bullets come apart. I have with 140 bthp Hornady and SMK best I recall...been a while since I tried that though so maybe I remember incorrectly as 44.5 was plenty good and about all I use now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! A Swede Garand, that's something. Is it as accurate as an AG 42?
Thank you, for the info about the primer pockets, and the Winchester specs. I get concerned that my memory may be off, again.
My initial loads were with Accurate Arms 2700, and copper match bullets. Eventually after reading and testing,my best loads are with RL22, because of increased velocity. Shoot only moly bullets. Moly coated with the Lyman process.

·
Gold Bullet member
8,179 Posts
Wow! A Swede Garand, that's something. Is it as accurate as an AG 42?
The forum thread about the 6.5x55 Garand is here:
Accuracy is more consistent. By that I mean the Garand shoots 5 round groups. My Ljungman shoots tight 4 round groups with an outside shot. My theory is this is due to the difference in chambering force of the first round and the subsequent rounds. The bolt group is driven back with force by the gas impingement, and rebounds off of the safety/bolt stop, thus picking up more energy. The extra chambering force tamps the powder charge. This is why I look for a load with the highest charge density - case fill - to minimize the amount of room inside the case for the powder to move around.

I use a Schuster adjustable gas plug on the 6.5x55 Garand because I use the same powder charge as with my bolt action Swedes. The slow burning Rel 22 and Vihta Vuori N165 have excessive port pressure for the Garand, which is designed for IMR4895 or IMR4064.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Compressed rifle and pistol loads are more consistent and accurate for me.
Any space between the base of the bullet and the powder seems to me to be a potential risk to accuracy.
Store all my cartridges with points up.
Driving to the Range will vibrate and compact the powder to the bottom of the cases.
Prefer to shoot Hornady ELD match bullets because the Meplat doesn't need trimmed , and the BC of the 147 grain is 695.
The only negative is when a fortunate hit is made on a steel target there is no pleasing wack like a Match King makes.
Sorely lack technical knowledge, but read a lot.
What bullet, load, velocity do you shoot in your Garand?

·
Gold Bullet member
8,179 Posts
...What bullet, load, velocity do you shoot in your Garand?
I shoot the same load as for my AG42b: Nosler 140 gr CC over 45 gr Rel 22 or Vihta Vuori N165. I put a light crimp in the case neck with the Lee crimp die. The crimp only indents the mouth of the case but does not deform the bullet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The use of the Lee crimp die has improved the accuracy of my rounds.
I shoot semi-autos very seldom because cleaning takes me a long time.
A few very accurate ones are available.
For your Garand do you full length size, or neck size and knock back the shoulder a bit?

·
Gold Bullet member
8,179 Posts
The use of the Lee crimp die has improved the accuracy of my rounds.
I shoot semi-autos very seldom because cleaning takes me a long time.
A few very accurate ones are available.
For your Garand do you full length size, or neck size and knock back the shoulder a bit?
I FLR for the Ljungman and Garand. Fired 6.5x55 cases are too fat to load 8 rds into the Garand clip comfortably, so I FLR. I have Lee NS dies but mainly use the .303 die along with a shoulder bump die, since .303 does not last long when FLR'd.

Cleaning: cleaning a Garand is no more difficult than any other rifle. I use the Otis pull-through cable. For the gas tube, I have some of those big "elephant's ear" Q-tips for swabbing out the cylinder.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I field strip and clean semi-autos. The M1's hard carbon build up on the gas cylinder lock ,and the operating rod cap may alter gas pressure. The AG42 is not difficult to clean
With bolt rifles, after shooting at the Range, I spray a foam cleaner in the barrels before going home. Later, I clean the barrels with a bristle brush and several patches. Leave the barrels wet with Kroil Oil . Clean the bolt and receiver. Moly from the bullets is never completely removed from the barrel.
Developed 7mm, .303,and 8mm loads to shoot in old, very good condition, Military rifles. The Enfields, and 7mm Mausers are accurate, the K98's are not very accurate. Has the 8 x 57 ever won a rifle match or a War?

·
Gold Bullet member
8,179 Posts
I have no carbon build up problem with my Garands. I swab the gas cylinder and piston after every range session with the aforementioned "elephant's ear" Q-tips. I also spray food grade silicon into the cylinder and on top of the oprod. This prevents the carbon from "grabbing" onto the metal. Note that I use food grade spray, which is not so easy to find. Your regular hardware store and auto parts silicon spray has hydrocarbon solvents that will only add to the carbon accumulation.

I use Ballistol. Periodically I also use PatchOut, but regular use of Ballistol will control coppering and keep it in equilibrium. I abandoned brass bore brushes years ago, I use the nylon bristle bore brushes obtained from Sinclair's/Brownell's.

Re 8x57: the Israelis used a lot of Kar 98's, obtained from the Czechs, in their War of Independence. I agree that the 7x57 is the best original Mauser cartridge. (NOTE: I said "best original Mauser cartridge." 6.5x55 is of course the best!)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you, I read about Ballistol and food grade silicons, and ordered both. Looking forward to treating a .308 Navy Match M1 with the silicon, and shooting it to see if the gas piston is carbonized. An engineer who designed and built parts for space capsules, over thirty years ago, advised me to use Mobil 1 oil, with powdered Teflon mixed in it as a gun lube. He said the Teflon would fill the microscopic pits in metal and diminish wear.
A Microlon Gun Juice treatment in my old rifle barrels increases velocity and improves accuracy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ask the French.
I didn't know the French had 8x57 rifles! Of course, the French desire anything the superior, blue eyed ,blond Germans have.

My French wife for the past 61 years, had a relative at the Dien Bien Phu debacle, who was an officer and survived.

Read a biography ,and Memoir about the Dien Bien Phu siege many years ago. Have always thought the French had French caliber weapons.

It's what I learn, after I know it all that counts - - - .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts