·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A picture of a handgun shoot in South Africa

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks but we want more - show us. I hope there are a bunch ofWebleys and Enfields still barking there, along with all those wartime Smith & Wessons. You've inspired me, me I'm off work toaday, should do some things around the house but I think I'll take some old revolvers to the range and make some noise.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks but we want more - show us. I hope there are a bunch ofWebleys and Enfields still barking there, along with all those wartime Smith & Wessons. You've inspired me, me I'm off work toaday, should do some things around the house but I think I'll take some old revolvers to the range and make some noise.
That's in the other thread.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=5608

·
Registered
333 Posts
Nice, luger right next to you, then a Tranter (?), S&W i think, another Luger, Woodsman or ?

Looks fun, and yes, looks like it could be the dry part of Washington State :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Tough birds, those Afrikaners - not an ear muff in the bunch.
I bet this is a staged photo. We might be stubborn and obstinate, but we are not stupid!

Where was this photo taken?

Groetnis from a fellow South African living in the US for the last 23 years.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bet this is a staged photo. We might be stubborn and obstinate, but we are not stupid!

Where was this photo taken?

Groetnis from a fellow South African living in the US for the last 23 years.
Posed photo but legit rifle and handgun shoot. I'm about 4th down the line. Lots of PO8 Lugers and the last chap is using an Artiliary Luger. I was using a pistol No.2 made by Albion Motors.

This range is in the Transvaal and we meet once a month to shoot our old collectable firearms.

Plenty of Webleys and Lugers around but not so many American firearms like 1911 Colts.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Fletch - I read somewhere that the SA government in the 1980's sold off all its reserve stocks of S&W revolvers (left over lend lease) and Enfield rifles to active, retired and reserve members of the defence forces for a nominal price - were you around? Did they sell ammo too? Did it even happen?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mil Surplus sell off

Fletch - I read somewhere that the SA government in the 1980's sold off all its reserve stocks of S&W revolvers (left over lend lease) and Enfield rifles to active, retired and reserve members of the defence forces for a nominal price - were you around? Did they sell ammo too? Did it even happen?
Yes that is correct. I was in the military in the mid 80's. Did not get offered one though but a buddy of mine got one. I still can buy surplus .303 and .38 ammo but it's drying up quite fast. Ironically its cheaper to buy surplus Yugo 8x57 ammo than South African .303.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pelindaba

If I have to take a really wild guess, I would say it's around the Marble Hall/Loskopdam area.
Hi Hagar, the range is at Pelindaba. I think that it's an old Recce shooting range, just behind the old neculear plant!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Posed photo but legit rifle and handgun shoot. I'm about 4th down the line. Lots of PO8 Lugers and the last chap is using an Artiliary Luger. I was using a pistol No.2 made by Albion Motors.

This range is in the Transvaal and we meet once a month to shoot our old collectable firearms.

Plenty of Webleys and Lugers around but not so many American firearms like 1911 Colts.

A friend of mine who lived down there for a few years said under NP days, many SAP detectives carried Hi Powers and 1911's. You certainly must have some hi powers and at least a TON of Star 1911 copies? I'm really curious

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Powers, yes and Stars, yes

A friend of mine who lived down there for a few years said under NP days, many SAP detectives carried Hi Powers and 1911's. You certainly must have some hi powers and at least a TON of Star 1911 copies? I'm really curious
Hi Francis, yes there are a few Hi powers and Stars around on the private market, but not as many as you would think. The present govt destroyed many many surpus firearms a few years back under some UN protocol. So many Brens, Vickers and FN's gone for ever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts