Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this project wrapped up today and it turned out really well. The rifle is a 1936 Tula ex-PE I got from Big 5 several years ago for $49.95 and I've been wanting to re-sniper it for a long time. I can tell you one thing, this process was a whole lot more involved than I was expecting and I'll not be doing another one anytime soon! The welded over holes and the excessive grinding the Russians did on the receiver caused me some major pains. All I can say is thank goodness for my machinist Grandfather's magic touch or this one would have been a real mess. I fired it today and it was dead center but a bit high. I did a little shimming tonight and brought it down quite a bit so we'll see how she does next time out. Here's a couple of pics.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great looking PE sniper!
The bolt looks to be an original sniper and If you dont mind me asking how did you run across it?
I hope to run across a PE soon, I've been looking for two years now.
I have a 40' Tula PEM that Im sitting on, in hopes of re-snipering it someday but with the $$$$ involved, I'm sticking to the P/U's.

Thanks

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
Very nice. How long ago did you pick it up from Big 5? (In other words, should I be heading down to my local store anytime soon?) TIA

·
Super Moderator
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I'm very happy with it. Yes, the bolt is an original sniper bolt. This bolt came on another non-sniper standard Mosin so I put it on this rifle instead. Gosha, no need to hurry down to Big 5 as I bought this one at least six or seven years ago. The rifle came in the batch of mostly rough looking guns that Century brought in from Albania a long time ago. Luckily, this one was in pretty good shape with a decent bore.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Gosha: I found a 1935 Tula ex PE MO at a Big 5 a couple of years ago. (And one of these days...) They were $90. back then. It is worth checking them on occasion.

Very nice job, Mike! Congrats! DDR

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I've got one started also. Have the bolt and hex base, been waiting on Tuco about 8mo. now to bring me a scope and mount for it. Probably won't be able to find the base when the scope gets here tho...

·
Diamond Member
6,155 Posts
Congratulations Mike. Nice Project! You are very lucky to have the machinist connection and a Grandfather. Denny

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Mike - VERY NICE! I am hoping to get mine to this point someday, but from what I can see it may be a very long time. I hope the availability and PRICES of any PE/PEM stuff will come down in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts