1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice job!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Yup, she looks great. You said bolt change. Is this a new source for parts or a one-time find? I get quite a bit of messaging for parts. Have you found an outlet for spares that we need to post?

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Forgive me but what scope (and mount system) is that and I also would like to know about the bolt..is it stainless or just polished or what?
Heck, for that matter where did you get a laminate extended buttstock?

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, no secret spare part outlet that I'm keeping to myself... the bolt is a product of a good 'ole polishing. The wood is a regular stock replacement that I refinished to my taste with a coat of tung oil for the finish.

The scope is a 8X42 POSP with weaver,
http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=589

with a low-profile sidemount...
http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=834

But before you do anything.... I have not tried these optics and mount out enough to say they are solid. As you can see in one of the pictures, I still keep the 4X POSP that came with this rifle around because I know it holds tight. Right now I guess you could say the optics set-up is just for show since there has been no extensive testing to see if it holds zero.

The laminated buttstock is not extended in any way, its just a regular buttstock that I have refinished. This was the first time I have had this one out in a long time, last time it saw this mutch light, it was still in its original configuration. I also took some pics of the rest of my collection too on this thread >

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...the-camera-on-sunday...Lots-of-pics-of-Mosins!

Enjoy!

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can I see some pics of yours?

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I have seen your picture before so there might have been some inspiration taken from it.

On the wood, I used some ridiculously dark stain. I think with the combination of not sanding 100% of the lacquer off and application of the dark stain, I got these uneven and highlighted areas that I absolutely love. I think it gives it the "been there, done that" look to it. I also have a buttpad like yours but I had such a hard time getting it on the other stock I refinished, I'm not taking it off and putting it on this one.

So how did you get your bolt back to the white?

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Here's mine, I just finished it and it waits for a day at the range..

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think I have seen your picture before so there might have been some inspiration taken from it.

On the wood, I used some ridiculously dark stain. I think with the combination of not sanding 100% of the lacquer off and application of the dark stain, I got these uneven and highlighted areas that I absolutely love. I think it gives it the "been there, done that" look to it. I also have a buttpad like yours but I had such a hard time getting it on the other stock I refinished, I'm not taking it off and putting it on this one.

So how did you get your bolt back to the white?
i used the birchwood casey blueing removal, and a dremel tool for touchup work. I don't baby this rifle so the furniture is a little more beatup now and the upper handguard cracked (you can see in the picture). The wood was way too brittle to try and fix aside from a re-gluing attempt.

the heat caused some bubbling in the finish, also. no biggy for me, she shoots great. 2000 rounds later, she is a pleasure to interact with.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chasdev- Nice stock! I wish I would have gotten the scope you have instead of the setup I have. Yours seems more solid. Want to trade? (j/k)

requiem- these rifles aren't for babying... I like your style. Although I have less than 700 or so rounds through mine. Looking forward to the day I have more than 2000. I've only had it for 1 year.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Chasdev- Nice stock! I wish I would have gotten the scope you have instead of the setup I have. Yours seems more solid. Want to trade? (j/k)

requiem- these rifles aren't for babying... I like your style. Although I have less than 700 or so rounds through mine. Looking forward to the day I have more than 2000. I've only had it for 1 year.
I would highly recommend you try and get that recoil buffer bad on your PSL. it makes a world of difference. Mine was tough to get on, but it was worth it. It also adds another inch to an otherwise short stock.

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
My last PSL (Romak III really) I used a shotgun slipon recoil pad.
It looked like ass but it was under $10 and worked like a dream.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My last PSL (Romak III really) I used a shotgun slipon recoil pad.
It looked like ass but it was under $10 and worked like a dream.
I did the same thing... one of those hideous rubbery brown ones, adds about an inch to the thing and kills any recoil there would be. I do want a different muzzle brake though....

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
2,934 Posts
I would highly recommend you try and get that recoil buffer bad on your PSL. it makes a world of difference. Mine was tough to get on, but it was worth it. It also adds another inch to an otherwise short stock.
What kind of recoil pad is that? Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
What kind of recoil pad is that? Thanks
I believe it's used on some type of AK grenade launcher. I got mine from this place http://dscarmsinc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52_150&products_id=587

To install, I sprayed mine liberally with silicone spray. Then partially worked it on to the buttplate. Finally, place the butt of the PSL on a hard floor and press down. Worth the $$$ as others have said both for recoil reduction and additional LOP.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts