Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Awesome! One day I will save up and be able to grab a 49/56. By the time I'm able it will probably cost me $1,000! Very nice pictures. Please excuse my lack of knowledge and laziness as I guess I could google it but what is the difference between the 44 and the 49s?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not that hard..you have to ask for layaway:rolleyes:,now is a good time. I just saw a Mas 49/56 for $495. There is alot of info on the mas rifles here. Real basic,the 44 was the first during WWII,very limited. The 49's came later and are becoming scarce. The 49/56 was the last and are still out there. The scopes are hard to find and pricey. If you are thinking of the 49/56 make sure its not converted to 308. I reload so the lack of ammo is no big deal. Hope I helped.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The below is personal opion based on observation and a little research, corrections gratefully accepted.
MAS 44: marked "MAS 44" on the left side of the receiver, normally finished in black enamal. I believe most had the hidden spike bayonet.
MAS 49: marked "MAS 49" on the left side of the reciever, normally phosphate finished. French issue didn't have bayonets, some rare few didn't have grenade launchers. Foreign contract (Syrian) had the bayonet and grenade launchers.

Personal collection includes a post-war 36, 36-51, French 49 w/o grenade launcher, Syrian 49, and unissued refurb 49-56. All the French ones are in great shape, couldn't have been dropped more than once. The Syrian is very well used. I'll try to post a photo later.

·
Registered
244 Posts
ooohhhhh, very nice!

That's a worthy collection!

With all the panic-buying going on, we can console ourselves that while the Herds and Mobs of new buyers are gobbling up AR's and such, we can still get one of the best battle rifles ever made for FAR, far less than others are shelling out.

And I'll pick my MAS 49/56 to save my hide in any situation.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are correct with the enamel finish on the 44. I believe both my 49's are Syrian contract. Both have the grenade launcher. Im thinking of getting another 49/56.....its addicting. Im seeing them for under 500. I have an old Shotgun News ad that has the complete kit for $250. I think SOG was selling them at the time.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Mle 44, 49 etc....

Guys: I examined thousands of the Mle 44 at Century Arms in the 80's.....Most were just parked, about 10% were parked and painted, and 1% had an anchor on the butt plate.

The Mle 44 was not a French Armee gun, it was used by the Marines and Colonial Forces.

The Mle 49 was used by the regular Army, sans bayonet..

Dale

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the posts everyone. I was also hit by the enfield bug during the same time and managed to get some nice rifles when prices where cheaper. I have to post those pics in the proper forum.

·
1,154 Posts
I do take exception to the "dropped once" crap
I was hoping we all grew past that?

That is a nice collection you have there. It's always a nice feeling when you get to look at a collection that has been put away for awhile!

Thanks for the photos.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,167 Posts
We did move past it .... No more.
Sorry I did not respond quicker but family matter took precedence
Patrick

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi,

the 3500 last 44s own by the French Armed Forces (more precisely French Navy Commandos) where destroyed upon order of the Minister of Defense (Ms Michelle Alliot-Marie at the time) in the early 2000's (2001 or 2002 if my memory serves me), despite some attempts to have them exported or by default (thus a shame) neutralize.

Pas Glop! Pas Glop!
:<
ccmsd

·
1,154 Posts
You still need to round that out with a bolt 36
Naw he needs 3 or 4!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.