Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there any information online or else were about the post war Dutch High Power contracts? I have one coming with a serial number that starts with KL and has Queen Juliana's crest on the slide top. I have Anthony Vanderlinden's fine book on the FN Browning Pistols but there is not much detailed information on the post war Dutch contracts. It will be next week before I have it in hand for a detailed examination.
Thanks in Advance
Dan in Texas

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
74,963 Posts
I have 2 of the KL variations. One with fixed sights and t he other with the tangent sights. The one with the tangent sights has had the tangent sight so fixed that the tangent sight is permanently in a fixed state.

Over the years, the only KLs I have seen have been concerted Inglis Hi Powers (not FN manufacture) with no Queen Juliana's crest (or any crest for that matter) on the slide top.

When you receive yours, I am interested in seeing picture of it.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charlie
The one that I'm waiting on to arrive is like the one in this link except the serial number is KL22,xxx

http://www.highwoodclassicarms.co.uk/Firerms For Sale/0043.htm

As for Dutch High Powers that were rebuilt using Inglis parts, well the Inglis probably came from the British when they armed & equipped the Princess Irene Brigade of free Dutch in WW II.

Dan in Texas

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The FN High Power Dutch contract arrives at my local gun shop today and I picked it up. I have disassembled it and checked all of the markings that I could see. The frame, barrel, & slide all have a 3 with either one or two sides of a box. The firing pin stop has a 5 in a three sided box. I’m guessing that this indicates that the pistol was manufactured in 1953. The hammer has a star on one side and what looks like a slightly elongated zero in a three sided box on the other. I suspect that it has been through at least one refurbishment program. That maybe what the B W 4.80 signifies that is stamped on the front right hand side of the frame. The grips are plastic and have a small square gold plaque inlayed at the top of the right hand grip. The plaque is inscribed with: FRAKELTOGRLAGMON. Here are the pictures.

Dan in Texas

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would enjoy seeing pictures of other Dutch High Powers. I've collected pre-1945 Dutch weapons for a few years & I've looked high and low for evidence that they used the High Power before 1946 but haven't found any.
Dan in Texas

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't think you will find any Dutch High Power pistols before 1946. IIRC, the first Dutch High Power experience was with the Inglis after WWII and FN pistols were phased-in during the late 40's/early 50's era. CPW or someone more knowledgeable, please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I realize that there wasn't a prewar contract but the KNIL in the Dutch East Indies didn't fall until after the Netherlands did. The KNIL was trying to acquire arms from any source possible up to and including advertising in American gun magazines. Some of the last refurbished # 5 carbines made from 1895 rifles that shipped out are dated 1940 on the stock. I keep hoping one will show up as a capture from Japanese forces. I know, that's probably a "pipe dream". I do have a prewar in the 11,200 range that's all matching but has lots of rust & no finish that's been in this country since the early to mid 1970s. I don't think it's a Chinese or Finnish contract but I'm no expert on these.
Dan in Texas

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dear Sir,

The book: Inglis Diamond, The Canadian High Power Pistol by Clive Law (Collector Grade Publications) contains a chapter on the Dutch M.46 pistols.

The mark “BW 4.80” is indeed a refurbishment program, it stands for “Bewapeningswerkplaatsen der Marine” (Naval Armoury/Workshops) april 1980. At the “Afdeling Kleinkaliber Wapens” (Department Small Arms) weapons where refurbished on contract. The “Koninklijke Landmacht” Royal Army was one of the contractors.http://forums.gunboards.com/#_edn1

The “J” (Queen Juliana) on the slide indicatest the slide of this pistol came into inventory after 1948.
The Princess Irene Brigade (1941-1945) did not use the High Power pistol. These High Power pistols came into the Dutch Forces (KL and KNIL) in 1946, named “Pistool M.46”.

Regards,

Marck

[HR][/HR]http://forums.gunboards.com/#_ednref1 Bewapeningswerkplaatsen der Marine 1953-1993

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Marck
This is the type of information that I was looking for. I have ordered Clive Law's book last week and it should be arriving here later this week. I have also ordered "The Browning High Power Automatic Pistol" by R. Blake Stevens. I should have that book later today.
Thanks for responding.
Dan in Texas

·
74,963 Posts
The FN High Power Dutch contract arrives at my local gun shop today and I picked it up. I have disassembled it and checked all of the markings that I could see. The frame, barrel, & slide all have a 3 with either one or two sides of a box. The firing pin stop has a 5 in a three sided box. I’m guessing that this indicates that the pistol was manufactured in 1953. The hammer has a star on one side and what looks like a slightly elongated zero in a three sided box on the other. I suspect that it has been through at least one refurbishment program. That maybe what the B W 4.80 signifies that is stamped on the front right hand side of the frame. The grips are plastic and have a small square gold plaque inlayed at the top of the right hand grip. The plaque is inscribed with: FRAKELTOGRLAGMON. Here are the pictures.

View attachment 2338346 View attachment 2338354 View attachment 2338362 View attachment 2338370 View attachment 2338378 View attachment 2338386 View attachment 2338394 View attachment 2338402

Dan in Texas

You have a rare example as that is the first one - that I have seen with a crest.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Charlie
Given the fact that I have not been able to find out much about it in print or on the net, I'm beginning to think so too. It came into this country as a police trade-in from Israel. I'm wondering how it got there. Do you know if the Dutch have sold any of their High Powers as surplus? The information that Marck gave us is the most that I've seen anywhere.
Thanks
Dan in Texas

·
74,963 Posts
I have been told that the Dutch did not sell their Hi Powers as surplus. That is borne out by the fact that so few have been on the market.

I would venture to say that it was in one of the countries adjacent to Israel and was captured by them during one of the disagreements.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.