Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a general look through some Gunbroker auctions a few days ago and came upon this M38. She didn't look like the normal refurb so I had to take a closer look. The auction pics showed it was a 1941 highwall M38 with the possibility of some Finn markings. It looked like a good bet so I hit the buy it now. I picked it up today from my transfer dealer. Looks good, SA and D stamped. All matching except the bolt, pretty decent bore, metal is very good with zero rust under the wood. Stock has a tight crack coming off the left side of the tang. The tang hits the wood in this spot. I'm glad to finally add a Finn capture M38 to the collection.

PAshutr3

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,039 Posts
NICE SCORE!! Congrats on the rare find... those Finn marks are visible in the auction photos, but only if you know what you're looking for.

·
Gold Bullet member
395 Posts
Good score!!! Great price!!!!! Nice looking rifle!!!!

Welcome to the club.

dolk

·
Gold Bullet member
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, this was one gamble I figured I had about a 90% chance of winning. I wasn't too sure about the D marking (it is a partial strike) but the square line in the corner just screamed boxed SA.

PAshutr3

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Good eye! I'm officially jealous...

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,541 Posts
Strange how the photo that does show the left side of the receiver does not give a clue that an SA mark is present. Must be the angle of the light.

I also noticed that the escutcheons are an interesting combo; screwed on front but none at the rear.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Strange how the photo that does show the left side of the receiver does not give a clue that an SA mark is present. Must be the angle of the light.

I also noticed that the escutcheons are an interesting combo; screwed on front but none at the rear.
Yes that's a transitional feature you only see once in a while. I thought these were made in early 1941, not late.

Is there a chance these look like a Finn addition PAshutr3?

·
Gold Bullet member
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes that's a transitional feature you only see once in a while. I thought these were made in early 1941, not late.

Is there a chance these look like a Finn addition PAshutr3?
Ken,

The front screwed in SSE could be a Finn addition, but I'm not sure. They don't seem to be as well fitted as the ones on my early 91/30 stocks. One thing I failed to mention in the original post is there are no import marks on the carbine, so that was an added bonus.

PAshutr3

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
Nice snag. Congrats on the acquisition !

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Ken,

The front screwed in SSE could be a Finn addition, but I'm not sure. They don't seem to be as well fitted as the ones on my early 91/30 stocks. One thing I failed to mention in the original post is there are no import marks on the carbine, so that was an added bonus.

PAshutr3
I suppose it could be a Finn-shortened 91/30 stock. That could be discerned by later inletting of the front band spring and the rear sight base.

Here's some pics of my lone plain rear/screwed front M38 stock. The tang step inletting was chiselled out (probably at refurb) indicating this stock was originally for an earlier reciever.

Does your stock have any evdence of these 3 modifications?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts