Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A local shop had this one for $169. No bayo, cleaning rod or butt stock cleaning kit. (I got some spares in the parts bin ;-)

This is my first M21. It has the brown plastic gas tube handguard. All numbers match, but the previous owner looks filled a bag scratch with wood filler that runs in a 'Z' shape down the stock near the cross-bolt. Ugly.
The previous owner tried to fire it while it was still full of cosmoline. I mean it is FULL.
I will add the correct bayonet and I have a like new SKS stock to drop it into (I will keep the original of course so it can be reinstalled)

I almost passed on it, but the last show there was no SKSs below 399.

I am glad I got when I did--the owner was going to mark it up to $249 (on advice from his assistant gun mgr--said it was too cheap)

I guess I did ok on it...I may post some pics after cleanup.

**Cleaned it up today. Nice rifle, all being said. Attempted to put it in another stock and it would not fit..I did not force it I just decided to live with bubba's stock repair. The repair goes right across the triangle stock cartouche.
The previous owner actually fired it (I'll bet it did not cycle due to the heavy cosmo) but there was no carbon on the piston...just greasy black cosmo...
Here she is after cleanup and adding the bayo and cleaning rod.
This is the first time I remember seeing a roman numeral III on the sight of a Chinese rifle. Is this another M21 feature?

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,870 Posts
IMO M21's are amongst the rarest Chinese versions, you're is like mine a post war model and a very good find. Of all my SKS's it would be the last I'd part with (and I have thought about cutting way back on the SKS's :) ).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Bill mentioned his rifle having the brown plastic handguard.....please don't tell me it's only the M-21's that have this because i've seen quite a few at the gunshows i've been to? Don't they actually have "M-21" stamped on the receiver also?

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,870 Posts
Bill mentioned his rifle having the brown plastic handguard.....please don't tell me it's only the M-21's that have this because i've seen quite a few at the gunshows i've been to? Don't they actually have "M-21" stamped on the receiver also?
The post VN war M21 and the last 3 years of arsenal 26 rifles (might be 4?) have the reddish-brown pebble handguard. it's not just a M21 feature but it is a good sign from a few rows over at a show to go take a look :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks for the info, better late than never I suppose.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Photo of mine

Sorry for the crappy photo, I took it years ago. I took it to the last AGCA show. Glad I didnt sell it, it's one of the best ones I've got. As close to new as any I have, plastic upper handguard, all matching etc.

·
Copper Bullet member
928 Posts
A local shop had this one for $169. No bayo, cleaning rod or butt stock cleaning kit. (I got some spares in the parts bin ;-)

This is my first M21. It has the brown plastic gas tube handguard. All numbers match, but the previous owner looks filled a bag scratch with wood filler that runs in a 'Z' shape down the stock near the cross-bolt. Ugly.
The previous owner tried to fire it while it was still full of cosmoline. I mean it is FULL.
I will add the correct bayonet and I have a like new SKS stock to drop it into (I will keep the original of course so it can be reinstalled)

I almost passed on it, but the last show there was no SKSs below 399.

I am glad I got when I did--the owner was going to mark it up to $249 (on advice from his assistant gun mgr--said it was too cheap)

I guess I did ok on it...I may post some pics after cleanup.

**Cleaned it up today. Nice rifle, all being said. Attempted to put it in another stock and it would not fit..I did not force it I just decided to live with bubba's stock repair. The repair goes right across the triangle stock cartouche.
The previous owner actually fired it (I'll bet it did not cycle due to the heavy cosmo) but there was no carbon on the piston...just greasy black cosmo...
Here she is after cleanup and adding the bayo and cleaning rod.
This is the first time I remember seeing a roman numeral III on the sight of a Chinese rifle. Is this another M21 feature?
i wonder if you could remove that repair and fix it the right way, ot prehaps stain the repair to subdue it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.