Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently offered a bargain on a .22 Charter Arms Pathfinder revolver. My original intention with this piece was that it would act like a really good introduction to revolvers for my daughter. It has the small grips and will fit her hand but will not have the kick and blast of the full size pieces. After I have played with this piece I now realize I have a snub-nosed trainer on my hand. With the jumps in the price of ammo I am shooting more and more .22 ammo these days. Heck, I spent Friday afternoon putting another 2000 rounds through my Ruger Government Model. You know your having fun when you have to spray the guts of your Ruger with Break Free to keep it ticking! I am now thinking I could shoot this myself to keep my eye/hand in shape as a supplement to those times, like these, when I cannot afford to shoot the expensive full size ammo. Anyone else thinking down these lines in your own shooting regimes?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes - over the past year or so the increasing cost of ammo has convinced be to take up reloading again (after not having touched a press for years) and to spend more trigger time on my .22's, and this had had several benefits besides reducing costs. My marksmanship has improved, I've found out, and this is one of those lessons I have to keep re-learning; how important trigger control and sight picture is, and nothing will humble and teach me this quicker than a Smith K22 Masterpiece. The only centerfire I've been shooting on a regular (weekly) basis is .38 Special, usually a pre-model Combat Masterpeice, and that old K38 has also forced me to pay attention to the basics, and my reloads only cost me 5-6 cents a round, so a range session is guilt free when it comes to cost.

A side benefit of taking up reloading is that I'm shooting guns on occassion that I would otherwise not shoot, buying a set of dies for the .32-20 was cheaper than a box of ammo, and I can reload .38 S&W as cheaply as .38 Special so I shoot the Webley and Smith in that caliber now and then. In addition I find that I like reloading itself, it isn't a bad way to spend a few hours.

I think my scores in the monthly IDPA matches at my club have improved over the past year because of my revolver use, and I know I enjoy shooting my .38 much more than the Glock 34 I had been shooting matches with - I'll never be competitive with the guys who are really serious about it, but I think I have more fun.

·
Super Moderator
16,496 Posts
Guess I'm not doing as well as you are Michael, the best I could come up with was an eight shot, wooden, rubberband repeater and since the original rubberbands all broke or got lost I haven't shot it.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a self-criticism of my shooting I can say that my double-action accuracy stinks. Yes, I can hit a target at 25 yards with double action shots and closer in is a snap but I am not as accurate with shot placement in double action as I feel I should be. Although the Ruger Government is doing wonders for my eye/hand coordination I think the ease of shooting it is not helping me with my carry piece; a S&W 640. I am hoping the Charter Arms Pathfinder, which feels in the hand VERY much like the S&W, will allow me to work on my double action trigger work. I keep my eye open for a S&W .22 revolver but these are getting awful pricey these days!

·
Gold Bullet member
2,597 Posts
I'm sorry for the soaring prices in ammo you are suffering nowadays in the US; here we have this disease since I can remember, but lately with the higher cost of minerals like copper end lead our local prices for ammo are outrageous-As an example the Fabricaciones Militares box of 22lr goes for 3 US$-Just imagine the price for the bigger calibers, the price of a box of 44 magnum would let you have a good dinner for two at any good restaurant-
As i always enjoyed very much shooting 22's I practically do not miss the other calibers-
Reloading is a possibility, but imported powder is not available and the locally manufactured sucks-

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Raul,
Trail Glades range, in western Miami-Dade County sells .44 Magnum for something like $28 a box. To me that is two good meals too...ok maybe without wine. I am shooting more and more .22s these days. I enjoy them and I can afford them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
"Trainers"

I've always been intrigued by using a subcaliber version of my centerfire pieces. I also train with a .22lr "Pathfinder" in lieu of my .38 "Undercover". I also use a .22lr Beretta 70 S as an understudy to my .380 Beretta 70 S. Now, if I could only find a .380 Manurhin PP to pair with my .22lr Manurhin PP, I could have all the bases covered. > Gary

·
Gold Bullet member
2,597 Posts
As you may know 22 lr conversions for military trainers were made for most of the prewar rifles, they are a joy to shoot and sure make good pieces of conversation, unfortunately they are difficult to get and pricey-I have been lucky and after years of searching finally got the original ERMA 22 lr conversion for the Argentine Mauser 1909, below pls find the pic.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I cast all my own bullets and reload using primers and powder I buy in bulk, so handgun shooting is still affordable for me with my reloads, but I do shoot a lot of .22's, too.

I have a 4" 10-shot 617, 6" 6-shot 617 and for something closer to my snubbies, an 1-7/8" 317 8-shot. My neighbor just picked up a 3" 317 with the Hi-Viz sights. It's my 9 year old daughter's favorite now. Looks like I need to keep an eye out for one of those, too. She was knocking over the bowling pins with every shot at 30ft last Sunday.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Raul,
Trail Glades range, in western Miami-Dade County sells .44 Magnum for something like $28 a box. To me that is two good meals too...ok maybe without wine. I am shooting more and more .22s these days. I enjoy them and I can afford them.
Thats why I've been sticking ot 9mm and .38

·
Registered
38 Posts
Beretta m71

I recently aquuired a M71 beretta 22lr pistol in a trade for s M1 carbine I could no longer afford to feed. havent shot it yet. I didnt know any one still had any.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've thought about buying one(or more) of those air pistols made to mimmick real pistols. Wal-Mart has co2 replicas for not too much.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Taught my wife and my son to shoot 15 yrs. ago.Started them off with my model 94 Taurus 9 shot .22 revolver.Shot overipe tomatos,apples, baloons at 15 ft.They loved it!!Screw paper targets.I reload my handgun rounds on my Dillon.Affordable.Can't see buying commercial loads,way to expensive.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have many guns that are .22 rimfire versions of larger caliber guns. Even for my .25acps I have .22short versions to save money such as the Beretta Jetfires.

I have an older Charter Arms Pathfinder, is yours a 3" barrel as well? I shot it recently. I got it in 2003 for $150 ANIB. I needed to replace the mainspring, keep the chambers clean and make sure the adj sight screws don't back out from recoil.

Other than that it is serviceable. Nice thing about CA revolvers is the grips all fit every other revolver of the same make. I have a pair of bulldog large wood grips on the gun right now.

I rarely to never see in my area the Pathfinder in .22mag, in 2" or 6" barrels,or in stainless. My grandfather used to have a 3" as well, we gave it to a friend of his though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts