Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a bunch of guns, powder, and reloading equipment the other day from a gal who’s husband passed and just wanted them gone. she had a list of 4 pages of gun and and pistols but everything that was worth good money was long gone. I went through piles of empty gun cases I found this savage lee enfield. It looks like brand spanking new. The number match. I never saw a silver bolt before so it threw me off. I’m guessing it’s not refinished and just all original? I picked up a “S” marked bayonet for it the other day as well. Can any give me any info on it?

https://i.imgur.com/SRPahgL.jpg

Forgot I picked a box of a 1000 180 grain soft points and a can of ammo with it from the same source.

https://i.imgur.com/EIwM7nt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S88BVfw.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Could be one of the pieces assembled and sold years ago by Navy Arms several years ago. Advertised as "new" but put together from various parts. I got one somewhere.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
The number match. I never saw a silver bolt before so it threw me off. I’m guessing it’s not refinished and just all original?

That bolt has had 'civilian work' done to it.

I will rarely say 'never' when it comes to Enfields, but, no manufacturer ever supplied them with a silver bolt.
There are examples of chromed bolts and other metalwork, but they are believed to have come from Egypt, or Asia or somewhere where they like shiney rifles for parade duties.

Navy Arms would not be beyond adding some 'suitable numbers' where necessary.

It could even be a 'master test gauge bolt' used by armourers to check wear.

Reactions: Shadow64

·
Registered
857 Posts
Well, it's certainly 1000x better than the Royal Tiger Ethiopian rifles they're flogging for ridiculous money.
I'd have jumped on it in a heartbeat for a shooter for sure! Well done.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The unfinished bolt is what threw me off. I bought it with a group of 7 guns, 45 pounds of powder, approx 3000 projectiles, a tin of 303 ammo, and some reloading equipment all for $540. So I basically have nothing into the gun. I always wanted one in pristine condition. I didn't want to start shooting it a lot, or at all, if it was a rare gun. It looks to be unfired. I would assume it’s not rare gun? How do I know if it came from some where like Navy Arms? Thanks for the help.

forgot I picked up a nice bayonet with the pile that’s going on my 1917 Winchester American enfield.

i already pawned off the 22lr muzzle loader that was NIB from the early 70’s and a 30-30 lee target loaded to recoup my original investment so I’m sitting free and clear on the rest of toy pile. I also already restored the 1904 Winchester boys rifle, R Murdoch 32 rimfire, and 6mm Flobert. I am up in the air on restoring the 1873 Winchester 38 CFW. I did pick up a really good shape Hungary M44 with bayonet and a tuna can of ammo for another $150.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
That bayonet will not fit onto your M1917 rifle. The crosspiece isn't tall enough. Your bayonet is a Pattern 1907 for the SMLE.
Close enough that they grooved the grip panels for the P13/M17's for ID at a glance...or feel in the dark.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I have some 303 Savage ammo available. 180 grn. soft points

SAVAGE 303 is NOT the same as British 303.

A Savage Lee Enfield DOES NOT use the Savage 303 round

They are not interchangable and neither the bullet or case dimensions are compatible

303 British Vs 303 Savage.jpg

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
If it was imported after 1968 the importers name & address shoud be stamped on it somewhere. It may be rather abbreviated.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Something all Americans should be aware of when buying 303 ammunition.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
YES!
.303, Could be either, verify.
.303 Savage. (if its not a lever gun its the wrong stuff, for the most part)
.303 British (well at least it will be safe because it wont even fit in a .303 Savage chamber)

Reactions: DisasterDog

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
If you can trade a Wilkinson 07 straight up for a Winchester 1917....
You're my hero! I'll send you some. Get me a few of those Winchesters too. :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts