Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up a couple of Vetterli’s in person at RTI today (I live one hour away) and unlike the previous poster, I’m satisfied with what I got. Neither has been cleaned up yet but they look good on the surface.

The rifle on the left is a Vetterli 1870/87/15 made by Brescia in 1880. It has a very nice dark walnut stock with no cracks. Bluing is around 75% with a good bore that has plenty of shooting life left. No pitting from what I can see. Did not come with cleaning rod.

On the right is a model 1870/87 Moschetto TS in 10.4x47mm made by Brescia in 1881. It also has a nice walnut stock with nice patina and an unknown brand on the buttstock. No pitting from what I can see. Bore is decent but I likely won’t be shooting this one anyway.

Plant Mesh Terrestrial plant Grass Wire fencing
Brown Wood Wood stain Trunk Tints and shades

·
Registered
300 Posts
That must be interesting. There must be a number of special or exeption guns that never get listed online.
Much harder to stick it to someone standing right in front of you. Or said another way...benefit to examining item before purchase rather than interwebs lottery. Thanks for sharing pics and enjoy the new family members.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Front desk clerk: “Thank you for your payment. Let me go back and get your rifle.” “Here you are sir.” [hands customer a rusty POS with cracked stock.]

“Ah, no. For $xxx I’ll thank you to go back and pick me one that doesn’t look like firewood and goat crap.”

———-
I bet they know from practical experience to present nicer ones to the in-person customers.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Mebbe the OP could make a bit of commission by picking out rifles for us in person at RTI...perhaps better luck that way.
Far fetched? Not really, for a while there were a couple of fellows that would select rifles in person at the Anniston CMP south store for other customers.

• Haha
Reactions: danm55

·
Administrator
10,114 Posts
The VV70/87 shown is Not a "Carbine" but a Moschetto TS,
( Special Troops Musketoon) or a Carabinieri TS ( Military Police Musketoon)
No 70/87 "Carbines" ( for Cavalry) with Spike Byt. Ever adopted, EXCEPT for a Special 500 Batch for the Eritrean Natve Cavalry, and sent to the new Italian colony in 1888. ( Not an Army order, but Colonial Office order.).
Very few known to date...a couple in Museums in Italy, a few (2-4) in Private collections in Italy, USA and Australia ( Mine came via the Queenslander Surveyor General of the Sudan, ( retired 1928, died 1948; Cav Carb. and a Gras sold to me by his Grandson in about 2000, ( no Spike Byt) with Historical Docs of History of SG of Sudan.
Some " Private Purchase" 70/87 Cav Carbs also assembled in 88-90....fate unknown...probably lost in First Italo-Abyssinian War ( Adowa, 1896).
So there is a Very very small chance that an "Eritrean Cavalry Carbine " may still surface out of Africa!!!
As the Romans used to say,
" Semper Novitas Ex Africae":
There is always something new out of Africa ( " The Name of the Rose", By Umberto Eco).

BTW, AVBTechServices has Newly-made 70/87 Charger clips Available. ( Tinplate & Wood)
Enjoy your new Acquisitons.
DocAV

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The VV70/87 shown is Not a "Carbine" but a Moschetto TS,
( Special Troops Musketoon) or a Carabinieri TS ( Military Police Musketoon)
No 70/87 "Carbines" ( for Cavalry) with Spike Byt. Ever adopted, EXCEPT for a Special 500 Batch for the Eritrean Natve Cavalry, and sent to the new Italian colony in 1888. ( Not an Army order, but Colonial Office order.).
Very few known to date...a couple in Museums in Italy, a few (2-4) in Private collections in Italy, USA and Australia ( Mine came via the Queenslander Surveyor General of the Sudan, ( retired 1928
Thanks for the clarification. What would be the correct bayonet for the Moschetto TS? I’m assuming they are very hard to find?

·
Administrator
10,114 Posts
Correct Sabre Bayonet same as for Long Rifle Vetterli and and V-V. Later, with Conversion to 6,5 Calibre, the M70 long Blades were chopped to match the size of the M91 Bayonet. ( M70/87/15)., and the cut off Point used to make Trench or Arditi Daggers
" Pugnale e Bomba a Mano "
( Dagger and Hand Grenade).

Doc AV

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Correct Sabre Bayonet same as for Long Rifle Vetterli and and V-V. Later, with Conversion to 6,5 Calibre, the M70 long Blades were chopped to match the size of the M91 Bayonet. ( M70/87/15)., and the cut off Point used to make Trench or Arditi Daggers
" Pugnale e Bomba a Mano "
( Dagger and Hand Grenade).

Doc AV
One last question, any idea what the brand on the buttstock might be? It looks like an “IO” or “10” in a semi-circle, but the rest is faded.
Brown Wood Bedrock Trunk Wood stain

·
Registered
950 Posts
I just bought a ts vetterli from them today along with a gras rifle. Im just praying it doesnt come with a 6.5 bolt. Ik of 2 that were sent with those. 1, purchased by the youtuber Thekoba, was a piece of crap. I did get the hand select option tho. I dont think that is the correct rear sight on the above TS vett. Correct me if im wrong plz. Not a big deal tho. It looks pretty good. Another youtuber USNA 98 got a very early 1875 Giandoni or girasoli, w.e. theyre called the company that only made the ts vetterlis. But again had a 6.5 bolt. If mine is anything like that one above ill be happy tho. Im gonna have to call them back tomorrow so i can add that in the order notes. "plz dont send one with a 6.5 bolt!"

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just bought a ts vetterli from them today along with a gras rifle. Im just praying it doesnt come with a 6.5 bolt. Ik of 2 that were sent with those. 1, purchased by the youtuber Thekoba, was a piece of crap. I did get the hand select option tho. I dont think that is the correct rear sight on the above TS vett. Correct me if im wrong plz. Not a big deal tho. It looks pretty good. Another youtuber USNA 98 got a very early 1875 Giandoni or girasoli, w.e. theyre called the company that only made the ts vetterlis. But again had a 6.5 bolt. If mine is anything like that one above ill be happy tho. Im gonna have to call them back tomorrow so i can add that in the order notes. "plz dont send one with a 6.5 bolt!"
Mine came with the proper bolt. Doesn’t hurt to ask, especially if you are paying the HS fee. They still have several left so you should be ok. I wouldn’t order one if they only had a couple left.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Is there an easy way to spot the difference? I’m assuming bolt face was swapped out for the 6.5

·
Registered
950 Posts
Is there an easy way to spot the difference? I’m assuming bolt face was swapped out for the 6.5
The bolt face on the 10.4s is flat and featureless besides the striker hole in the middle. The 6.5 has a recessed slot that will fit a 6.5 case. Thats awsome it came with a correct bolt. Good to know. Ill post pics of the one i get. Should be like a week. Yea i especially wouldnt get HS if tgeres only a couple left. One thing that sucks is u never actually know how many they have left. I ordered stuff and it said they had 7 left. Once those were gone they added another several lol.

Reactions: mitch5690

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I looked up the rear sight in Robert Wilsey’s Vetterli book and it has the correct M.90 sights for a converted TA mod. 1870 to a mod. 1870/87.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts