Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last several months I have acquired several shotguns. The wife and youngest daughter keep trying to steal my sweet little Winchester 140 auto in 20 Ga. that I have set up for Sporting Clays. The first is a High Standard Deluxe auto in 20 Ga. I shortened the LOP to 12 5/8" (they are both fairly short) and will be porting the barrel and adding screw in chokes.

The second is a Remington 1100 also in 20 Ga. and it to has the shorted LOP. It will also be ported and have screw in chokes added.

The third is a Nornico copy of a Winchester 1897, 12 Ga. I got this one NIB an is now my home defense shotgun.

Then Thursday, 4-22, I went to lunch with my buddy Randy, Sure Shot to you Marlin Collectors and he gave me a Savage 24 Series P in 22 WMR over a 20 Ga. I've been looking for a 24 in in 22 WMR/ 20 Ga. and one on 22 Hornet/20 Ga., so I'm half way there. I am refinishing the stocks so no pictures yet.

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
Very nice, and nice of you!
Just a caution on the Norinco -- they don't have a great reputation, especially amongst the folk I meet who shoot them the most -- Cowboy Action Shooters. WWII/Korean War Re-enacting commander last week at one of the Military Academies, who's unit bought eight at one time laments the failure rates but are consoled that even when "sport shooting" with them, they are not actually defending their country no less their lives. You, on the other hand...
Alden

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the 1897 is one of two shotguns I have setting up and available to me for Home Defense, the other being a coachgun and then of course my ever present Charter Arms Bulldog "PUG" or the Taurus 425 in 41 Mag, with 41 Special loads in it. I carry one or the other revolver everyday and at least one is within reach 24/7. The wife's Mossberg 500 with 8 round tube is the primary home defense shotgun any way.

·
Administrator
18,344 Posts
Very nice. I had one of those Winchester 140's years ago and it was a fun and smooth shooter. I decided to get rid of everything but my 12 gauges though to standardize ammo. I've heard that the Norinco '97's were reliable, after a considerable break in period or after an action job. I guess you'd better just take it out and put some rounds through it.:)

·
Silver Bullet member
55,191 Posts
Like rabbits

BOUGHT 3- 410'S IVER JOHNSON'S FOR THE GRAND BABIES- re-wooded the first two-
last ONE got off this board was in the least condition OUT SIDE but the best price.
so have installed the best stock from the first two, that were re-wooded.
AND put it on the next grand baby's I J 410.
WE tested the gun today,after we voted- i pointed he marked it.
will refinish it at my leisure.
all three excellent ACCURATE shooter.:thumbsup: never shot a 410 in my life before these! my first shot gun 12- GA- IVER Johnson 30 INCH .:thumbsup:
THESE 410 are like pointing a rifle out to 35- to 40 yards.
he HITs EVERYTIME He'S 9 YEAR OLD.:cross
THEY each HAVE I. J. 12 GAGES TOO, that i engraved stippled, rust blued, wooded- but to young for those yet..:tisk: working, learning guns for the future.
i know what you mean- I'm not a shotgun man but--- just bought 1946 Husky 350 AS 12, LC smith 1919 ONE FAMILY OWNED EXCELLENT SHAPE- ITS BEING restored- up grading wood AS WE SPEAK a keeper.
HAVE new looking 0/u GAMBA 1970's and o/u charles Daly- and Iver Johnson 1926 s/s ONE FAMily OWNED 96%.
JUST sold a RESTORED Ithaca S/S, pre war 1- French LIGHT weight 12GA S/S. that had RESTORED X X FANCY WOOD, CHECKERING, RUST BLUED ETC and 12, spas to finance new things!
THEY ARE MULTIPLYING FASTER THAN I CAN DECIDE WHAT TO DO WITH THEM:confused:<><dk

·
Copper Bullet member
10,096 Posts
I was lucky with my Chinese model 97. The action is a bit rough, but functions fine and is accurate as the "real" 97 my Grandfather gave me. The action on the Chinese model should smooth out over time, though I had forgotten how hard they kick, they are lighter than my more commonly shot Remington model 870, and have only a hard butt plate.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was lucky with my Chinese model 97. The action is a bit rough, but functions fine and is accurate as the "real" 97 my Grandfather gave me. The action on the Chinese model should smooth out over time, though I had forgotten how hard they kick, they are lighter than my more commonly shot Remington model 870, and have only a hard butt plate.
My 97's action is also stiff, but being brand new this does not surprise me. I figure to take the 97 out to the trap and skeet ranges and also to the Sporting Clays shoots and put about a 1000 rounds thru it. By then it should be smooth as butter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.