Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up a couple of Mosin Nagants today. A Polish 8mm & a 1907 carbine- more photos

Picked these up at the local show today. I know they are hard to find based on a post I started back in October but how rare are they? The Polish 8mm is a neat looking gun. It's all matching but the bolt. Unfortunately, based on my research, it is not the correct bolt. That being said, what is it worth in like it is? How hard would it be to find a bolt?

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think this is what's known as a 1907 carbine. Dated 1911. I read where there were two models, one with a cross bolt in the stock and one without. Being this is a later model, should it have a cross bolt? This one does not and looks like someone shot modern ammo in it as it has a crack in the wrist with a field repair. This is the first time I've seen one of these. I thought it was the Czech 91/30 cut down until I got home and noticed the funny looking rear sights. I plan on shooting it with some low powered Czech 7.62X54 rounds tomorrow. It doesn't shoot the pointed type of bullet but a rather small round type. I think they were used for training. I'm too scared to shoot newer 7.62 in it as I do not want to crack the wood any further. This rifle is all matching but the bolt and the bolt is about 200 numbers off.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A buddy of mine bought this rifle ( no pictures ) it was a 1918 Remington M91. Had no serial number ( had the No. and then nothing ) none of the parts had ever been marked and the Remington Armory 1918 markings had been partially scrubbed ( pinged out ). I read somewhere that when the Communist took over Russia, Remington canceled the order and made up the rest of the guns with whatever parts they had left over, thus no serial number. My question is, who scrubbed the Remington markings off? No flaming bombs or any US markings on the gun.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Wow. Absolutely wow. Don't know what else to say but wow and incredibly lucky if you found them the same day, at the same show. So jelly.

As for the Polish 8mm conversion, if it doesn't have a correct bolt head, I was told by someone they were still able to fire it. I don't know if there is any difference in bolt head length, just a ring put in place that held the 8mm round on the face with the extractor claw. So theoretically you could still shoot it as is if it doesn't have the correct bolt head on it. Would like to see more pics of the bolt. Incredible finds.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
A buddy of mine bought this rifle ( no pictures ) it was a 1918 Remington M91. Had no serial number ( had the No. and then nothing ) none of the parts had ever been marked and the Remington Armory 1918 markings had been partially scrubbed ( pinged out ). I read somewhere that when the Communist took over Russia, Remington canceled the order and made up the rest of the guns with whatever parts they had left over, thus no serial number. My question is, who scrubbed the Remington markings off? No flaming bombs or any US markings on the gun.
Remington didn't cancel the order. The order was "cancelled" if you will, when the Russians got out of WWI and had their own civil war to deal with. I'm not sure the exact dates of the end of the contract, but it was when basically Russia stopped paying. Some left with workers, some were used by the Americans as trainers stateside, and some managed their way across to Europe anyways to the Russian Expedition, Northern Russian Expedition, Polar Bear Expedition or however you wish to call it. The American assistance to the railway defenses at Archangel Russia.

·
Registered
23,854 Posts
Man, I need to go to the shows you go to. A 8mm conversion and a 1907 carbine at the same show? Dang! I don't know where you can find the correct bolt. Martin08 picked up a demilled 8mm conversion a while back (and did a photo comparison that shows the differences in the bolt heads, before he returned the rifle) so finding the proper bolt is possible, but not very likely. Here is a link to a thread on another forum Martin posted.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=14071

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried to cycle a round and it's just not working. I think I'll leave it alone. Yes I found them at the same show. Some guy was getting rid of a collection. He had already sold about 30 guns before I got there :( so no telling what else was there. I left behind two SA marked Russian 91/30s and a 1916 M91 ( with imperial markings ) that had bad wood. About $150 for those three. I liked the 1916 M91 but did not like the wood. I picked up a M39 Sako Finn, a Tikka 91/30 and a Wz48 ( .22 ) as well. My buddy got the scrubbed 1918 Remington, a Russian 91/30 1939/51 MO ex sniper, and a M27 Finn. He threw in some Mosin Nagant spike bayonets too. Two look much older and the third looks like the mosin nagant bayonets that comes with the current imported guns ( has the push button.)

·
Diamond Member
7,484 Posts
Fantastic finds to say the least. I think there are two different types of rear sights for the 1907 IIRC. I would not shoot the 1907....way to rare for me to take a chance even with the practice rounds.
Congrats on your awesome finds. Denny

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read that, that sucks it was demilled. I wonder if they would be willing to part with the bolt? I'm thinking maybe this Remington was one brought home and maybe that would explain the scrubbed markings.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
I tried to cycle a round and it's just not working. I think I'll leave it alone. Yes I found them at the same show. Some guy was getting rid of a collection. He had already sold about 30 guns before I got there :( so no telling what else was there. I left behind two SA marked Russian 91/30s and a 1916 M91 ( with imperial markings ) that had bad wood. About $150 for those three. I liked the 1916 M91 but did not like the wood. I picked up a M39 Sako Finn, a Tikka 91/30 and a Wz48 ( .22 ) as well. My buddy got the scrubbed 1918 Remington, a Russian 91/30 1939/51 MO ex sniper, and a M27 Finn. He threw in some Mosin Nagant spike bayonets too. Two look much older and the third looks like the mosin nagant bayonets that comes with the current imported guns ( has the push button.)

heh you might not want to say what you paid for the polish 8mm or the 1907 carbine because people will probably curse u!

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So that is a 1907?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Fantastic finds to say the least. I think there are two different types of rear sights for the 1907 IIRC. I would not shoot the 1907....way to rare for me to take a chance even with the practice rounds.
Congrats on your awesome finds. Denny
Yes Denny, you are correct. Evidently the first pattern, like this was only graduated to 1900 Arshini. The other pattern was out to 2000.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,570 Posts
BARQS19 stop get off the computer and spend $100 on lottery tickets, strike while the irons hot. I can't comment anymore on this. Just go buy lottery tickets. All I got to say. Besides congrats on one heck of a day! Regards, John.

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,487 Posts
You were incredibly lucky to find the 1907 at any price. Most people will never see on and it is the Holy Grail of many Mosin collectors. If the gun was correctly identified on GunBroker, it would go for more than $2,000 and possibly a good bit more.

It definitely has a cross bolt so it was upgraded for the later ammunition. But I would not shoot it with the crack already developed. Many would not shoot it with a perfect stock because of the value.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,967 Posts
Many collectors will search for a lifetime to no avail for what you found in one day. Fantastic.

The crossbolt on the 1907 is not an "upgrade", but rather the original installation for the year 1911. The handguard is correct, and delicate by the looks. Be careful not to continue the crack.

The bolt head for the 8mm will not be an easy task to find. It does hurt the value significantly for most collectors, as it is integral to the proper working function of the gun. Even though most are never going to fire their specimens. With a correct bolt head, these trade from $700 to near $2,000, depending on condition and matching numbers.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Remington didn't cancel the order. The order was "cancelled" if you will, when the Russians got out of WWI and had their own civil war to deal with. I'm not sure the exact dates of the end of the contract, but it was when basically Russia stopped paying. Some left with workers, some were used by the Americans as trainers stateside, and some managed their way across to Europe anyways to the Russian Expedition, Northern Russian Expedition, Polar Bear Expedition or however you wish to call it. The American assistance to the railway defenses at Archangel Russia.
The Archangel Russia sortie was initially for 30,000 US troops, in 1918, per the wikipedia page... but, the contract was some 2 million from each of the NEW and Remington factories, so, a total of 4 million built?

Incredibly lucky to find these fine historical arms!

I found a 1901 Izhevsk M91, with the stock in a Bubba state, for $175 at the Deland gunshow...
Miracles happen! She is now in a 1908 Tula pre-war (91/30) stock... miracles happen! Only the original stock was cut... the barrel is "excellent"!

Finding an M91 stock is a rare thing, I see... And, costly!

·
Gold Bullet member
11,670 Posts
Two fantastic finds.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts