Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
What are you gonna use them in? Do you have a RK62?

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,099 Posts
I think that they're Lanyard loops added so that soldiers could tie them to their combat harnesses so they wouldn't lose their magazines while moving or on skis.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Anyone know the logical explanation for those "keychain loops"?

I never found out any other logical reasons or explanations than for what the loops were actually used when I served.

When soldiers train combat techniques or tactical battle maneuvers (without blanks) the magazine is attached with a leather strap to the rifle. It prevents the magazines going missing in action.

Like said I never saw any other use of the loops. Magazines were never attached to combat gear from the loops.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
The loops were used by ski troopers to retain the mags during reload on the move. Only know of one picture showing its use. It appears that Finnish soldiers made very little use of them.

One ex-Finnish soldier told me he thought they were to help in removing from magazine pouch.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
The loops were used by ski troopers to retain the mags during reload on the move. Only know of one picture showing its use. It appears that Finnish soldiers made very little use of them.

One ex-Finnish soldier told me he thought they were to help in removing from magazine pouch.
Tom, all Finnish infantry was and is also "ski troopers". When I served in jaeger troops in 2000-2001 we never even heard about the usage you mentioned. But it does not sound too far fetched. The latter explanation on the other hand does not sound too logical, not even with the older combat gear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.