Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice shape, and all matching, no import marks. It has three Nazi proof marks, but no Waffenamt numbers. One is on the left frame above the trigger, one on the barrel, and the third was hard to find because it's overstruck on top of the "s" in the word "Depose" on the left slide face. According to the serial number, I believe this is a 1941 occupation gun and should be marked WaA103. Function appears to be fine, although the grip safety spring is very stiff, and really requires a good squeeze while pulling the trigger. I'd like to lighten this a bit, if safely possible. Can't find much info on these Nazi-marked 1922's - anyone have any tips or trivia for me?

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,843 Posts
Are there any markings on the very rear of the pistol arounf the slide area ???

(Like a triangle of sorts)

·
59,843 Posts
There are a number of Model 1922 pistols and also a few (not many) Hi-Powers that have the German military test proof and the triangle marking. The reason/variation for this is not known. Some think it is a wartime commercial. Why the pistol started out in the military chain but did not finish there has not been determiined.

Seems like there are more Model 1922s so marked than there are Hi-Powers with those markings.

Because of the markings, it probably more collectable than the WaA 140 marked ones.

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,096 Posts
That's the first one that I've seen marked that way. Thanks for sharing it with us, that's a nice find.

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,747 Posts
Nice pistol, I also have one that's NIM and all matching, but it has the WaA140 waffenampts on it. How tight is the slide on yours? Mine's a bit worn and feels loose.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice pistol, I also have one that's NIM and all matching, but it has the WaA140 waffenampts on it. How tight is the slide on yours? Mine's a bit worn and feels loose.
Thanks. If I "waggle" the pistol back and forth vigorously, there's a slight rattle at the front of the slide, but nothing major. Slide operation is very smooth, and the slide to frame fit, as seen in the last photo, is pretty good. All springs have good tension (especially the grip safety spring, as mentioned above.) I wasn't really shopping for this, but as it is with most of my recent purchases, just happened across it during one of my usual pawn shop prowls. I stripped it and cleaned it last night, and the internals are in very good shape. I hope to shoot it this weekend.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nice pistol. I bought one about a year ago that has commercial proofs on it. The gun is all matching including the barrel that has a Waffenamt on it. They seem to be kind of unusual. If you would like to see some pics let me know.
Thanks
David

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice pistol. I bought one about a year ago that has commercial proofs on it. The gun is all matching including the barrel that has a Waffenamt on it. They seem to be kind of unusual. If you would like to see some pics let me know.
Thanks
David
Absolutely - go ahead and post them. Before buying this piece, I just assumed all occupation guns were just Waffenamt marked, so I'd like to see as many variations as possible.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Odessaman,
The first two M1922s I ever owned were not WaAmpt marked so I was thrilled when I finally found a M1922 with WaA140 (the most common). Your post and link to Jan Still's area make me appreciate the non-WaA pistols even more. My first M1922 (first two pics) has only the German firing proof on the slide, frame and barrel. This pistol is in very nice condition, matches and is s/n 99,859 with no letter.
My second M1922 (last 3 pics) is one I bought from Century in one of their odds and ends sales ca 1999. It has only Eagle/N proofs, matches, s/n 69248b. It also has the (H) mark on the slide.
D.

·
59,843 Posts
In the meantime, I came across this thread on these "occupation commercial" variants (my term), which I found interesting. Apparently, they're rare, and early ones like mine even more so. :) http://luger.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2631

Very true. There were not many compared with the total production. More of the 1922s are seen with those markings as compared to the Hi-Powers with the same markings. I would guess because the Hi-Power was used by the army whose demand was great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi- Thought I would share some pictures of the Browning 1922 I picked up (soldier bring back with papers, holster, two clips). Mine too is one of the commercial semi's, that does not have the lufwaf stamps on it.

For me the price was right at the time to pick this one up. It fires very nice, very accurate at 25 yards. I definitely will trade or sell it soon (it really does not fit my current collection, and I think I promised the wife at some point that I would not start up another collection ???).

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Nice Pistol

Hello Odessa. Nice pistol you have there. I've been looking at M1910's and M1922's for a while. Not to be rude but can I ask what you paid? I was just wondering about a price range. Thanks in advance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts