Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am designing a two-piece picatinny rail to fit the M1895 revolver that will not require machining or altering the gun, and give us the opportunity to mount (or remove) various hi-tech sighting, pointing, or lighting devices easily. Because most of these guns were mass produced, and mostly in Russia, the dimensions that I need more than likely differ slightly from gun to gun. Since the cost of having the extrusion dies made is the most expensive part of this process, I only want to do it once. What I need to know are the range extremes that I need to deal with in order to achieve this goal. The dimensions will need to be measured with either micrometers or dial calipers, and the cylinder will have to be removed to measure the thickness of the top rail above the cylinder. If you aren't familiar with removing the cylinder, you can go to http://www.reocities.com/Pentagon/Bunker/4064/PersCollection/KnowyourM1895.html and choose:
3) Removing the cylinder from the Nagant Revolver

Before removing the cylinder, cock the gun, and with the cylinder forward, mark the top rail with a piece of masking tape or pencil (lightly) at the 'step' . The two dimensions I need are the width and thickness of the top rail of the gun between the red marks on the attached picture at their widest points. My 1944 Nagant measures .140" thick and .424" wide, for example. if you don't want to remove the cylinder, then the top width only will still help me with my design. Now that your cylinder is removed, you've got a good excuse to clean and oil some of the gun (if it wasn't clean already).
I can't promise to respond to all messages that reply to this, but I will if I can, even if I just say 'thanks'. If you will, please, also give me a yea or nay as to whether something like this would interest you. I have no idea yet as to the price. Thank you for your time and effort.

· Registered
2,114 Posts
Hi nagantful,

Before you start spending your money to tool this project up.... You might think about how many you can sell.
Please think about doing a poll on this & other collector boards. ------- Of course it's your call.-------

Please don't take this message the wrong way, but I don't think you will find many buyers.
Think- How many Glock 45 Gap's do you see at the range?
Have you seen ammo for that round lately? That model was the answer to a problem that did not exist.

The Nagant is purely, a obsolete collector's gun. Some of us have 10 or more!
This project would be like spending $200-$300 on new stocks, mounts & add on stuff to a average MN rifle.

That M/N shoots just as well WITH-OUT the Mall Ninja / Tac-Cool extras. The Nagant revolver was made as a close range defencive revolver. Also there is a reason why revolver & pistol rails are screwed to the frame of a hand gun.... recoil.

Your scope mount would make balance a issue & make the usually difficult loading & unloading function, even more of a challenge.
I would rather see you make a dummy Russian silencer unit. A few of us had talked about it in the past. Some people would think that would look cool!

Best,
point6

· Registered
1,717 Posts
+1 on what point said. The Nagant is a very non-tactical gun, especially with the low power and slow reloading. Most people won't want to attach a scope or red dot to their Nagant. It would be neat if you did not have to modify the Nagant, but I see it being a low-demand item

· Silver Bullet member
2,290 Posts
Many of the old M95 revolvers are accurate enough to benefit from a scope. However, to me, a scope or laser sight would wreck the cool old European look of the M95 Nagant and I would never purchase such a unit.

A kit to convert the Nagant to .22 cal would be nice. But I suspect it would be much too expensive.

· Silver Bullet member
36,347 Posts
How about a picatinny rail for an 1858 Remington New Model Army? Or a Trapdoor Springfield? Something else we really need.

· Gold Bullet member
13,392 Posts
NOT COOL!

· Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
3,861 Posts
Ok....that's about it for the sarcastic remarks...any more will result in infractions being placed on the offending parties...!

I just don't understand folks these days. If you have nothing to contribute, keep your dang fingers off the keys. I have better things to do with my time, than babysit children.

· Gold Bullet member
13,392 Posts
Duke:

Seriously? I'll be sending you a PM.

3,861 Posts
Nah, Allan.....a few more pitched in to help the new guy....since he hasn't posted anymore...maybe he was scared off, or a hit and run.

The last few caught me when I was in a foul mood.....caused me to lose 5 minutes of my life dealing with reading it that I won't get back.

· Gold Bullet member
13,392 Posts
Nah, Allan.....a few more pitched in to help the new guy....since he hasn't posted anymore...maybe he was scared off, or a hit and run.

The last few caught me when I was in a foul mood.....caused me to lose 5 minutes of my life dealing with reading it that I won't get back.
NOT COOL!​
Last edited by Ol Duke; Today at 12:14 PM. Reason: Undue sarcasm​
Duke:

I believe you over-reacted and by censoring my post created the impression that my comment was highly inappropriate. Based on the number of moronic comments allowed to remain and fester, the bar for censorship is high. By deleting my reply you surely left the membership with the impression that my post was mean spirited, risque, or in poor taste. By any measure of reason, none of that is true.

As a moderator you have the ability to censor and punish, but commensurate with that authority is the underlying responsibility to assert that power with good discretion. I am disappointed with the judgment you showed here.

· Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,497 Posts
Except for all the detail in the original post, the OP with a post count of 1 looked like a troll.

If any subject line ever begged for sarcasm, Picatinny rail for M1895 Nagant revolvers would be it.

· Registered
2,114 Posts
Hi Guys,

That thought about a 22 conversion kit would be nice!

At a glance, you would have to change the firing pin & naturally make inserts for the cylinder bores. OK - Maybe with something press fit.---two O rings in grooves to help keep them in place ???

The barrel liner would only.044 thick (at best) on a side. Not much at all!
It would have to be a two piece unit, so it could thread on from the front to lock up on the rear section of the existing barrel where a regular revolver has a taper.
Not very practical! I know I'm not taking off any of my barrels! Leave the barrel as it is & hope the inserts you made from a old 22 barrel will be accurate to hit what your aiming at! HMMMM -Just a wild thought!

Best,
point6

3,861 Posts
Duke:

I believe you over-reacted and by censoring my post created the impression that my comment was highly inappropriate. Based on the number of moronic comments allowed to remain and fester, the bar for censorship is high. By deleting my reply you surely left the membership with the impression that my post was mean spirited, risque, or in poor taste. By any measure of reason, none of that is true.

As a moderator you have the ability to censor and punish, but commensurate with that authority is the underlying responsibility to assert that power with good discretion. I am disappointed with the judgment you showed here.
That's your right....have at it, but tread lightly as my sensiblities are a might touchy at this point. You showed yourself and that's why you got jumped on. I expect to not address this again...period!

· Registered
3,802 Posts
Hi Guys,

That thought about a 22 conversion kit would be nice!

At a glance, you would have to change the firing pin & naturally make inserts for the cylinder bores. OK - Maybe with something press fit.---two O rings in grooves to help keep them in place ???

The barrel liner would only.044 thick (at best) on a side. Not much at all!
It would have to be a two piece unit, so it could thread on from the front to lock up on the rear section of the existing barrel where a regular revolver has a taper.
Not very practical! I know I'm not taking off any of my barrels! Leave the barrel as it is & hope the inserts you made from a old 22 barrel will be accurate to hit what your aiming at! HMMMM -Just a wild thought!

Best,
point6
Look at the original .22s made 1924-1939. The only parts different are the barrel, cylinder, firing pin, breech block and front sight. I see no really easy way to make a .22 insert for the barrel since access from the rear is not possible to insert a full length insert.
Joe

1 - 20 of 27 Posts