Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered several S & W revolver hands from Gun parts and an extractor for this gun. got em yesterday all too small and wrong design. The extractor I need is 28 cm across. The hand who knows. For a spanish pistol board there is not alot of info here course they probably not many crucero's out there. No offense intended. I need help. This buying of parts and returning them to Numrich is expensive and time consuming. The 32-20 is a big frame gun about the size of a colt 1917, well almost. again,any help on what to order next would be appreciated. Thanks guys

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's just the way it is.

There were many, non-interchangable-with-anyone-else's-( or even their own ) parts Spanish Revolvers made in the early 20th Century, by many small Arms Makers of the time...some appearing to resemble an S & W, some appearing to resemble a Colt, and, usually, no one wants them because they were not well made, they did not hold up well, they are usually messed up, and, parts are impossible to find.

So, even though this is "The Spanish Pistol Board", with that in mind, relatively few people ( and none who have any experienve or mentors ) would have such a Revolver, having long since learned to avoid them even if at a bargain price.

Now, some of the .44 Russian or .44-40 Spanish Revolvers which resemble somewhat the old S & W design of being a 'Top-Break', were not too bad, but, again, they usually did not wear well, wore out fast, were cheap in their day, and, when found now, they usually have 'problems', and parts are impossible to find and are not interchangeable with anything else.

So, while some of the .44 Calibre designs were maybe 'alright-enough' if not used much...it is safe to assume ALL of the '38 Calibre Spanish Revolvers of that time period were barely well enough made to hold up for a while, and, that's it.

None of them are anything like the quality and durability of a same time period S & W or Colt or even Iver Johnson.

If you want an old Gun to shoot and have fun with and so on, seek out one which was well made to begin with, and, of a good design and good make.

Now, I know, sometimes it is the satisfaction of 'fixing' some old thing, which can be a draw or purpose or reason.

But, with this one, even then, what you arrive at in the end, is a lot of time and trouble and expense, just to have a Revolver which was never well made to begin with, which for all your troubles, will never be reliable, durable or likely to hold up well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I would not own one for love or money. But guess what, I just bought 2 on GB. I can tell you what, For being potmetal, they brase extremely well. I got some HTS 2000 brazing rods, low heat using map gas, and it works wonders. As to the old crucero, I have order 10 different hands off numrich and ended up sending em all back, not a damn one comes close. Now, the V shaped action spring broke in half due to inserting it and taking it out 45 times so I am about done with this gun. I could make one with a modified hack saw blade, but i have had enuf for a while. Maybe next year or this summer when it's 105 outside.

I have a motto, I have never seen a gun I could not fix, even an L.C. Smith shotgun, which only a few people in this country take on, but this piece of junk has beat me, for the time being.

Numrich would sell alot more parts if they would break em up into a few more categorys.

Anyway, thanks for your comment, like I said I agree to an extent, but if you find a shooter, damn their nice and so are the IJ's. I got a box full of them with the same trouble, that I have not gotten to yet

·
Registered
65 Posts

I do have a Spanish Revolver of my own actually...Lol...

A 'Obera Hermanos' which is buried in Storage at the moment, and, if I could get to it and post a Picture, it would look like this one -

It is chambered in .44-40

Frame is Cast, many internal parts are cast, overall it is not too badly made, but, is far from an S&W or Iver Johnson, quality wise.

Most of the .38 and .44 Calibre Spanish Revolvers were made for selling to naive or new Soldiers as Private Purchase, who were involved in European and South American Wars or other conflicts, or, also, for export to those same regions for anyone wishing for an inexpensive Revolver they did not expect to ever have to shoot much.

The .44-40s were likely intended for Mexico.

I got the things I need to re-Load .44-40, and, I will re-load some full bore 3 F Black Powder Cartridges for it, and, I got a Mould for casting a usual sort of back-when .44-40 Bullet, so, I will give it a whirl one of these days.

Few had any positive 'Lock-Up' for their Cylinders ( though the one shown, does ), and, instead, relied on the final reach of the 'Hand' aspect of the Mechanism, to keep the Cylinder Bore aligned with the Forcing Cone - dash - Barrel Bore. Hence, most will allow the Cylinder to be turned or spun backward when the Revolver is at rest.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am trying to get parts for mine. Yes still trying!!. I have ordered 114.00 from GP and none of anything fit. Now the mainspring broke in half due to age and being put in and out so much these last months I guess. Damn I hate this gun. Been a thorn in my side that won't go away

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,657 Posts
I ordered several S & W revolver hands from Gun parts and an extractor for this gun. got em yesterday all too small and wrong design. The extractor I need is 28 cm across. The hand who knows. For a spanish pistol board there is not alot of info here course they probably not many crucero's out there. No offense intended. I need help. This buying of parts and returning them to Numrich is expensive and time consuming. The 32-20 is a big frame gun about the size of a colt 1917, well almost. again,any help on what to order next would be appreciated. Thanks guys

View attachment 538957 View attachment 538958
Not to be snarky - but 28 centimeters? That is 11" in civilized measure, and that would make for one each HUGE handgun. Could it be 28millimeters (1.1023622")? Which is about (I can't find my precision calipers to get the exact width across) the size of the extractor star for my N-frame S&W Model 57 in 41 Magnum...

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,657 Posts
I stand corrected. LOL hum mybe I ought to order 1 of them and try that. Can't loose nuthin
Wouldn't work. The big Smith may be about right across the horns of the star, but the cut out is for .41 Mag and WAY too big for a 32-20 - the diameter of the case body for a 41 Mag is larger than the rim of a 32-20.

Might do better to try a 32-20 Colt Officers Model or Army Special extractor star (if you can find one) and work it to fit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know Clyde..just joking..waiting for someone to give me a real part# from GP corp. Figured if I talked about the gun again..somebody would step up. Someone out there has had to have gotten a part or 2 for theirs...Yes I know they are all different...but try calling GP Corp and get a person to help you...."Sir, if it is not on our website, we don't have it" been there done that..Thanks Clyde

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.