Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks.

For about 15 years I only had a single Lee-Enfield -- a 1943-dated Fazakerley No.4 MkI (FTR'd in 1947). A couple of months ago I picked up a 1967-dated 2A1 from AIM. In the last few weeks I've since added 1945-dated BSA No.4 MkI, a 1942-dated Lithgow No.1 MkIII*, and I have an unissued 1954-dated Fazakerley No.4 Mk2 arriving in the next week or so. I'm also in the process of trading another rifle for a Savage No.4 MkI*. It would seem that the Lee-Enfield bug has definitely bitten me. :D

Here's the Lithgow:

The Fazakerley:

The BSA:

The 2A1:

I will most certainly post photos of the unissued Fazakerley when it arrives and of the Savage if/when the trade goes through.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Registered
272 Posts
Is that a brass outer band? I've never seen a brass band before. Are they a wartime expedient? Are they mentioned in LES? Does it have inspector stamps?

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
Yes , it's a brass middle band. Purists will say you should leave it blackened but I think it looks neat polished as I did mine. the next owner after I am gone can blacken it if he wishes. (wartime expedient)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nice pics. I especially like the light colored stock on the Fazakerly.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The brass barrel band is marked OA:

Most of the blacking/stoving was worn off when I got it, but when I cleaned it with some bore solvent the rest came right off. I didn't use any Brasso or anything like that, but it definitely has a little flash that I like. It goes well with the brass buttplate and brass rear swing swivel:

Question for the experts out there regarding the Faz. This No.4 MkI was clearly FTR'd by Fazakerley, but is there any way to tell who originally manufactured it? Or did the factories only FTR the rifles they originally produced? I didn't notice it before taking the photos (the photo caught the light just right), but it appears that some stamps on the socket were scrubbed/stamped over... I'm assuming during FTR? Here's what I'm looking at:

You can see the remnants of a previous S/N (?) -- looks like it starts with a 32? Does it look at all like a prior manufacturer's number? Here's a photo of the left side receiver flat:

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think the remnants are the same as the current serial number ie MB20809.
As far as I recall the factories FTR'd whatever came throught he dooor regardless of who made it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
just a small thing
the screw for the brass outer barrel band goes in from the left as do all screws on a enfield. just turn the band around. they where blackened from the factory.
Cheers
NED

·
Registered
246 Posts
The MB##### serial number falls in the allocation for Fazakerly....me thinks?!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yep, Faz rifle....s/n numerical range also allocated 20000-29999.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Gold Bullet member
762 Posts
just a small thing
the screw for the brass outer barrel band goes in from the left as do all screws on a enfield. just turn the band around. they where blackened from the factory.
Cheers
NED
So although brass you would only know it if it was scratched? What time scale for their use?

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 12/44 FTR Lithgow has a brass band as well (polished by the previous owner I suspect, but I agree it goes well with the butt plate)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the brass band being all naked. Bling, bling! :D

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
those are nice, i like enfields too. i need a 2A1, yours looks lots better than most i've seen.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm... I just realized how old this thread was. When I originally posted, I had mentioned the unissued '54 Fazakerley No.4 Mk2 (one of the Irish contracts) that was enroute. I also added a Savage No.4 MkI* shortly thereafter:

1954 Fazakerley

1943 Savage

I haven't picked up any other Enfields since then (money doesn't go as far as it used to... and I've been on a Mossberg .22 kick for a little while), but I'm still keeping my eyes open for a Long Branch. :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Registered
13 Posts
Beautiful Enfields. I only have 1 BSA and when I got it, I thought it was ugly. After taking it to the range 1 time my perception of "looks" changed. I love the look of the Enfields and I want to get a couple more.

I hope it's not hijacking to add a couple additional pictures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts