Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have additional suggestions or methods feel free to add to this thread.

I use three software programs to manipulate photos:
Adobe Photoshop v5 registered.
Micrografx v7 registered.
LView Pro 1.D2 for Win95 shareware.

Adobe and Micrografx are very powerful and complex programs. I'd suggest the simple and ~free~ LViewPro shareware.

This website has LViewPro 1.D2 along with a text file and a couple other LViewPro zip files I'm not familiar with. I'll stick to 1.D2 as I've used it for many years. Its a simple program for cropping & editing photos.
http://papa.indstate.edu:8888/ftp/main!Windows95!Graphics.html

This is what you want. It runs fine on WinXP.
lviewpro.zip - LView Pro 1.D2 for Windows 95

This is the down and dirty tutorial:

file - open (brings in a new photo) The "multiple open" is a very cool slide show capability that advances off your spacebar or page-up/page-down keys.
Also full size or fit-to-window viewing via the right mouse button.

properties - under "jpeg (normal)" you can change the compression of photos to make them smaller kb file size. I'd suggest you leave this in the default setting until you're more adept. When you "save as" the file will be compressed automatically.

Edit -

crop - left mouse key to define the edges you want then hit the "crop" command.

resize - for most internet applications the 640x480 to "fit to desktop" (800x600) measured in pixels. Just hit the button and it does it for you

On cropping - always crop photos to eliminate extraineous nothingness in your photos. This is the most aggrevating thing that alot of the unwashed heathen in internetland do. They don't crop their photos. Cropping reduces file size. Its easy, its fun and it makes forum moderators smile :).

flip - (right to left upside down, etc)

save - will save to the same file as the opened image.

save as - will save in a specified file that you pick. I usually save the original and "save as" in a new or the same folder with a new name, i.e. Sillydutchman is cropped or edited and saved as Sillydutchman02. Otherwise the program will ask you if you want to overwrite Sillydutchman. Its never a good idea to overwrite as you'll loose the original forevermore. Save the Sillydutchman for future abuse.

The "save as" also lets you chose the file type: jpg, bmp, gif, tff compressed or tff uncompressed. The tff file type (uncompressed) is the most clear for printing (or publishing) but its also the largest file size. For most all internet applications you'd pick the jpg file type. (they call it a tiff file but the file type is .tff)

Retouch -

gamma correction - is a tonal correction. you can leave it be for now.

color balance - experiment if your photo has too much blue or red or if your camera white balance is messed up. I usually add or subtract in increments of 5 or 10 "units" to see an exagerated example of how the macro will change the photo. Some of these macros have a "exec" button meaning ~execute~ the change. You can execute and then cancel if its not a good setting. Experiment with this feature.

log & sine - these are the primary features to lighten photos, to enhance contrast. They each attack different visual tones. Experiment with this.

image filters - detail & sharpen are the ones you want to use. I utilize detail more than sharpen. Sometimes sharpen is too much pixilation. It can distort a photo.

I've processed better than 50,000 photos with most of them going through LViewPro as it works so good and fast. I can usually edit a photo in under 30 seconds each.

Post questions in this thread.

(c)Dutchman 2007

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
I use photostudio 2000, it is much the same. Crop the photo first, click "edit" and select "image size". Set it to f.ex 1000 width, make sure the "maintain aspect ratio" box is ticked. That works. Select save (if you want to overwrite) or save as (if you want to keep the original) and presto (!) it's accomplished....

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
If you have Microsoft Office there's a program called Microsoft Photo Editor on the disc. It doesn't load automatically when you load Office, but you can go back and run the install but select "Custom Install" and select only Photo Editor. It is extremely easy to use and uses minimal resources so it's quick. I use Photoshop Elements for the more technical stuff for my site, but it's a memory hog and runs slow on my older computers. I use Photo Editor for work all the time.

·
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Example 1

The first photo is Kriggevaer's excellent Danish Krag photo. Its 800x600 pixels and 89.6 kb file size. According to information embedded in the photo he took his picture on Oct. 10, 2007 at 5:36am with a Canon PowerShot A640 camera.

The second photo I edited with LViewPro.

I only cropped the image. Did nothing else though LViewPro did compress it some unknown amount. It is now 790x421 pixels and 41.7 kb file size. All I did was take off some empty space at the top of the image and took off 10 pixels in length as most monitors handle 800 pixels and then start stretching the window (except if you have one of the wide view monitors).

·
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cropping & Lightening

This is a photo by vonmazur. It is 1200x900 pixel size and 253.2 kb.

The second photo is 727x415 pixels and 52.2 kb. I cropped a lot of unnessesariness out of it and lightened it considerably.

·
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slings taking up space

Balder's photos have been very good, bright colorful & sharp. Just a tad on the large size and this one exhibites a problem typical of photographing rifles with slings. That sling takes up a lot of space. I'd suggest tucking it up closer to the rifle. This one is 800x302 pixels and 96.4 kb.

I lightened it up a little, hit the "detail" marco and cropped it somewhat.
Its now 755x254 pixels and 25.4 kb file size. It needed very little touch up.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
I also use Adobe Photoshop to crop and reduce the size of my photos. Actually I use three steps in Adobe. I first crop the photos then reduce the size. I usually make rifles 900 pixels long, and constrain the proportions so the photo isn't squashed. I then use the "save for web" tab under the file drop down list so the files on the boards are kept as small as possible. I then save the smaller photo using "save as" in the file drop down menu so I can leek the new smaller photo for future use without reducing or changing my original photo.

Because I don't like the thumbnails on the new board I use photobucket to have full size photos in my posts.

With the thumbnails you cannot insert photos inside the text of the post. I think that often diminishes the impact or subject of the post. JMHO

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I use Paint Shop Pro Photo XI. I started with Paint Shop Pro way back in '97 and have just stuck with it over the years. I have also used Adobe Photo Shop, but not nearly as much. Most of the basic rountines that Dutchman wrote about are accomplished pretty easily in Paint Shop and it has capabilities that go beyond my skill at this point.

One of the things people should pay more attention to is cropping their images. It is a little irritating to open up a thread and there are a half a dozen 250-300Kb images with the subject taking up a fraction of the image space. Pardon my curmudgeonliness - :D Sometimes cropping alone is enough to resize images to a suitable size and it almost always improves the composition.

Also, and I know we all have different brands of cameras with different capabilities, but for close up work or best color rendition I set my Canon A640 at the highest resolution. Although this might not really be necessary, since not all subjects require high resolution, I save the original image and modify copies and then any degradation of image because of the modifications doesn't seem to be so noticeable.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
VSO Image Resizer is fast and easy & ...free!

VSO has a free image resizer that is very fast and user friendly. After downloading it all you have to do is right click the picture and choose the size you want, say 1024 X 768 or 800 X 600 then click ok, and it copies the original & labels it, ie (800 X 600). Upload it and others, then add them all at once to the post.
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/

This will put a thumbnail on your post that others can click on to enlarge. If you want a larger picture displayed, you can use a host site like "photobucket", and upload pics to their site then to your post. It is more work than going straight from your hard drive, but if you want a pull page pic, you have to do it that way.
I like fast and easy with VSO Image Resizer. :cool:
Note: I used to use the image resizer from MS Power Toys, but with Vista, that will not work any longer. :(
Hard drive upload, Click on pic to enlarge:
View attachment 52798

photobucket pic: BIG!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts