Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a very nice mauser bayonet that I believe is unique, could someone in this fine board enlighten me on it's value? It is stamped Mundlos and 39 on spine, matching #scabbard with german frog. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Since you are convinced that this is the original finish, there is no point arguing further. So lets touch on your original question... Value.

If original 1939 German Phosphate, then it is easily worth $5,000+ as it is the only one known to exist.
If it has been cleaned with acid, naval jelly or other means, then $45 - $75

·
Gold Bullet member
12,076 Posts
I do not think this is a phosphate finish, rather it looks like somebody cleaned rust off the parts with naval jelly or acid. Doing so will often leave a finish like this.
Sorry, IB. Bill is correct. That poor bayonet has been "pickled" by some fool. :barf: It has zero collector's value as far as I am concerned, but I'm sure that someone who doesn't know what happened to it (or doesn't care) would pay you at least $50. Good luck!

·
Gold Bullet member
995 Posts

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
A 1939 K98 bayonet will be BLUED - no ifs, no buts, no maybes, no supposition, no anything!

Phosphate did not appear in German use until 1944, and even then, phosphated bayonets weren't that common. Too many idiots try to cash in on the "Gray Ghost" wagon (Gray ghosts are the names given by sellers to the 1944 phosphated bayonets) and parkerize or even just dip the bayonet in phosphoric acid/naval jelly.

IF the bayonet was left blue and original, and if the scabbard matches, it was a $155+ bayonet. Now, it's a curio, worth $40, needing to be blued to fix it.

The new Kriegsmodell book details K98 bayonets and the phosphate versions of 44 (and most makers by the way kept blueing and NOT phosphating)

I have in my collection 3 '39 all-matching original examples, and they are BLUE - Jos Corts, Weyersburg and Elite Diamant.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have added some pics for you sceptics!! Screws were unboogered with and tight, No sign's of blueing found, old dried up cosmoline inside, no evedent signs of scratches or cleaning.I am not an expert nor am I an amateur either and have been around the block, I have a small but humble bayonet collection about 60 mostly Japanese and I tell you that I feel that This is the original finish and I haven't seen proof yet that it is not! Being that some of you have contacted me in purchasing it (cheap), only add's to suspiction on my part. Now I love a good fight and when I think I'm right I will fight so show me some more evident proof than what I have heard and I will admit defeat, but please be patient for my reply some of us still have to work for a living out there.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Let them buy it - at least YOU won't have a bogus bayonet in your collection then!

Yes, phosporic acid/naval jelly removes ALL traces of blue. Blue is a form of rust, phosphoric acid/naval jelly is used to neutralise and remove rust. Ergo... well, I'll let you figure it out.

Tight screws means nothing. All of the ones on mine are and I have disassembled ALL my bayonets. This proves what?

Anyway, try to convince yourself all you like, and let those who don't know better buy it. Then you can acquire, partially, and unmessed with example.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Gold Bullet member
12,076 Posts
I have added some pics for you sceptics!! Screws were unboogered with and tight, No sign's of blueing found, old dried up cosmoline inside, no evedent signs of scratches or cleaning.I am not an expert nor am I an amateur either and have been around the block, I have a small but humble bayonet collection about 60 mostly Japanese and I tell you that I feel that This is the original finish and I haven't seen proof yet that it is not! Being that some of you have contacted me in purchasing it (cheap), only add's to suspiction on my part. Now I love a good fight and when I think I'm right I will fight so show me some more evident proof than what I have heard and I will admit defeat, but please be patient for my reply some of us still have to work for a living out there.
IB:

My reasons for believing that the piece is not "right" are based on both objective "facts" and a subjective appraisal:

1. The known history of German bayonet production, and
2. The appearance of the bayonet.

I believe it is universally accepted, or almost so, by collectors and students of German arms, that in 1939 the standard metal finish on rifles, pistols, bayonets and other small arms, was bluing. This consensus has been drawn by 60+ years of observation and study. I further believe that this information can safely be considered objective fact. I have never seen a phosphate finish on any German small arm or bayonet that was not mid to late war production. Based upon the posts above, I don't think that anyone else has either. Could there be an exception to the generally accepted standards? Of course. But until someone documents other reports of similar bayonets, I think that it is safe to assume that your bayonet is not a correct piece. Remember that old, tired cliche, Occam's razor.

I don't believe that you can successfully overturn historic fact, but you have more ground to stand-on when challenging my belief that the bayonet in question has been stripped of its original blue by some acid-wash or "pickling". When I look at your photos, that's the conclusion I reach. It's a subjective appraisal and I might be wrong. That doesn't make your bayonet "right" of course, you still have the little problem of 60 years of conflicting history.

In conclusion, I believe you are mistaken but I appreciate your stubbornness! ;)

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
...Being that some of you have contacted me in purchasing it (cheap), only add's to suspiction on my part...
Yes...its all part of a conspiracy to get it from you cheap... yeah that must be it !!!!!
I suggest you go over to this forum.... http://www.k98kforum.com/forum.php Post your question there and avoid all of us here that just want to cheat you out of this rare rare bayonet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts