Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

I'm new to the forum and to Swiss straight pulls rifles in general. I've just ordered my first long rifle from Simpson, Ltd. A 96/11 dated to 1901 in Good overall condition. I expect to receive said rifle in the post sometime next week. In the interim, I've been on the hunt for ammo to feed my new rifle and have discovered that surplus GP11 has become as rare as hens teeth and what I have found has been exorbitantly priced. So, I'm now looking at hand loading. I've read that people who load for 30-06 have an advantage, as common components used for that caliber are also useful for making 7.5x55 Swiss loads. I have a decent supply of IMR-4895, Win and CCI large rifle primers, and several hundred .308 168gn BTHP that I use for making match loads in my M1917 and M1 rifles. If I've read the wiki correctly, GP11 used a .306 174gn spitzer BT. Hodgdon's website recommends a .308 168gn BTHP over 41-42gns of H4895 (very similar to IMR-4895). I have several other powders and a few other bullets available and a source for more if needs be. Brass might be an issue as I don't have any once-fired and no one has any new PPU brass in stock at the moment.

I've also read that die selection can be an issue. Seems there's a difference in the shoulder profile for the 96/11 vs the K31 and that dies for the K31 can cause issued in the 96/11?? Anyone have a suggestion on which dies I should be looking for?

Finally, does anyone have a Pet load that they've found gives good performance in their 96/11? I understand that all rifles are different and that my MMV once I start loading, but I'd like to have a few recipes on hand as a base line to start from.

Kind regards,

C. Boyd

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,189 Posts
I am going to watch this thread. This will be interesting. I puchased a G11 back in December and so far anything I chamber in it shoots lights out.

Reactions: Stewbaby

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If I've read the wiki correctly, GP11 used a .306 174gn spitzer BT.
Not exactly right. It's more like .308" (7.82mm) major diameter. Many amateurs have made the error of measuring at the case mouth (7.70mm) - failing to realize that the section between ogive and boattail is conical, not parallel.

Beware of K31-specific dies from Redding and C-H. These will not FL size to fit the more-tapered 1911 chamber. RCBS and Lee are dimensioned to work for either 1911 or 1931 chambers.

Folks having trouble finding 7.5 Swiss brass might consider .284 Win. - which can be neck-expanded and FL-sized to make usable 7.5 cases. Graf seems to have some at the moment - 284 Winchester - Rifle Brass - Metallic Reloading - Graf & Sons

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,189 Posts
Interesting. Based on the specifications there is progressive contact/resistance with the interior of the rifling grooves and the maximum contact is at the back. How in the hell do the Swiss expect an old fart like me to understand that principle. :unsure:

Not exactly right. It's more like .308" (7.82mm) major diameter. Many amateurs have made the error of measuring at the case mouth (7.70mm) - failing to realize that the section between ogive and boattail is conical, not parallel.

View attachment 3790392
Beware of K31-specific dies from Redding and C-H. These will not FL size to fit the more-tapered 1911 chamber. RCBS and Lee are dimensioned to work for either 1911 or 1931 chambers.
View attachment 3790395

Folks having trouble finding 7.5 Swiss brass might consider .284 Win. - which can be neck-expanded and FL-sized to make usable 7.5 cases. Graf seems to have some at the moment - 284 Winchester - Rifle Brass - Metallic Reloading - Graf & Sons

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.