Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long ago, when I had but four firearms, about five years ago, I went to an estate auction. In hindsight I still kick myself over passing up the two fifty-five-gallon drums of military rifle stocks this old guy had squirreled away, but I was young and poor and had to go to work at three-thirty, so I just barely managed to attend the guns part of the sale before having to leave.

I bought a chopped-down 1917, and what was billed as an Argentine 1891. The auctioneer didn't know what it was, but both rifles were $110, and I knew that whatever it was, it wasn't chopped and probably was worth a hundred-ten bucks.

When I got it home, I noticed it had a scrubbed Peruvian crest, not Argie, despite the siderail marking.

Well, just recently I was browsing the Trader, and noticed somebody selling a Peruvian marked rifle for what I consider moderate money, and pointing out diferences between whatever "normal" for a peruvian is, and all those features are ones mine has.

What's the deal with these rifles, (are they those politically-embarrassing rifles?) and why is the Lange sight and SJG marking significant?

Strangely, I never much took to mine. It has some moderately deep woodline pitting, but the bore's mirror bright and the SF1980 ammo I shot through it long ago (not knowing any better) made an excellent group despite the test being nothing more than guesstimate plinking.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,085 Posts
sjg is a replacement barrel

Hi Varook
I bought a nice 1909 LR from JL off of the trader a couple years ago. SJG barrels are replacement barrels probably produced in Switzerland.
Do a little exploring over on paralex bill's south american rifle forum. A member from Peru posts under the handel adcc who is quite knowledgeable about his countries firearms.
Did you get the sawbuck I sent you a couple weeks back? I tried to figure out what your return address was and sent it on. thanks again for the rear band, it is the closest to the original I have found yet
gil

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've owned two. Both looked like the metal was painted with black paint, while still in the stock, with black paint stains all over the wood. Unlike the 1909 Peruvian Mausers, the 1891's were originally made for Argentina. Some were sold to Peru, but were updated with the Peruvian crest, the lange-viser rear sight, and an M98-style front sight. A very interesting "variant" on the Argentine model 1891. I sold one, but still have the other, here's photos:

·
Registered
178 Posts

Beanstrung: Nice rifle/pictures. Is yours all matching? I have one such rifle also. Bought it in 1976. The crest is faint. I wonder if mismatch #s is the norm for these rifles? Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts