Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 1909 Peru mauser at an estate sale. It is matching except magazine floorplate and bolt. bolt is matched to it's self. Bore should clean up to good +/very good.I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info online. I would guess it is 7.65 arg(barrel is not SIG marked) and the years of contract by Oberndorf but not much else. I gave a 125.00 for it. I can't find any price gauge for it on the normal spots online. This is the first one I have seen in person. Any info on history and price range would be appreciated. He also had a brittish WWII webley revolver in .38 S&W for 200.00. Good deal but I opted for the 1909 instead. I also picked up a nice Ka-Bar knife and sheath for 40.00. Marked wthh initals on back and Samar Phillipines. All in all a good estate sale.

Jim

View attachment 2850

View attachment 2851

View attachment 2852

View attachment 2854

·
Registered
658 Posts
Looks like you did pretty good to me, but I'm new to this (Mausers) so I'm certainly not the authority.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,085 Posts
great price

Is the mauser cartouche visible. They are fun rifles to shoot and have the coolest crest of all "Mausers Original".
gil

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,363 Posts
The Peruvian 1909's are one of the coolest South American Mausers around. The receivers were slightly larger than other large ring Mausers, and the crests were IMHO are one of the most beautiful. The "Mauser Original" on the crest is again just cool!!

Most unfortunately do not have matching bolts. The story I have been told is the political situation at the time in Peru was not very stable, and to prevent the younger and lower ranking officers from staging a coup de ta the bolts from the rifles were kept separate from the rifles. Weather or not this is true I don't know but it is a plausible story.

$125 is a great price for your rifle. It appears it has been around some, but should make a great shooting rifle. Love those Lange vizier sights!!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Condition is everything and that usually determines the price. It is really hard to tell the conditions of most rifles over the Internet. The bore condition also determines the price. Those shot with corrosive ammo usually bring way less money.

A top of the line Peruvian will bring $800.00 and a very good one can easily bring $500.

In 35 Years of going to gun shows I only saw one worth buying that was in mint condition. The very few others I saw ranged from totally damaged by corrosive ammo to just shooter grade. I finally ended up getting mint one over the net but I paid the big bucks to get it and am very happy with it.

The crest is perhaps one of the most beautiful ever put on any military rifle. The only other that ties it for fist place in my opinion is the Venezualean crest that pictures two rearing stallions.

By the way if you are a hand loader (which is 90 per cent of the fun of owning a rifle) you can make your own brass from 30-06. The Peruvians also shoot cast bullet loads very accurately.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,840 Posts
peru

super find at a steal price. privi partisan makes factory ammo if you don't reload or need a scource of brass after firing a few boxes of factory. norma still makes it at about $2 a round and i think hornaday does as well.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I forgot to mention that Buffalo Bullets can supply dies, bullets, cases etc. They are a super good outfit to deal with and I highly recommend them.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,085 Posts
grafs.com has brass

They are fun rifles to shoot and I do show off the crest at the range when somebody gets curious
gil

·
Registered
3 Posts
peru 1909

Hi

I also have a 1909 peru chambered in 22-250. Bull barrel,single shot. Where can I get parts to convert it back to magazine fed?

Samco

·
Registered
396 Posts
Does anyone have a mint one?

I have an argentine unissued cost 500$ with matching cap and appears unfired. Brazilian on the way that is about the same 411$ off gunbroker. Chilean tiger is all matching and would have been a 7-800$ gun, but someone descided to take this new appearing beauty and slather a heavy coat of poly or varnish on it--was 300. An almost mint ovs set me back about 450--was lucky!

I have been lucky; However, I would think that 800 wouldn't touch a peruvian in mint condition if such exists--any pictures and stories on experiences with such guns?

Mauserdoc

PS always looking for some special guns... Peruvian 1909, elm 38 dated 1916 all matching with heavy elm figure, chilean 1935, great matching tiger swedes, antique swede carbines --- trade options? unissued madsen, 98/40 in nice shape, possible persian mauser carbine in mint condition etc...

·
Gold Bullet member
378 Posts
With thanks to members claven2 and longbranch*, a new addition has been added to the South America - Milsurp Knowledge Library (click here)http://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

"Unissued" 1909 Peruvian Infantry Rifle (click here)http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=3241

Regards,
Badger

Ps: If you aren't a member you have to join, however, you can register for FREE..... Sorry, but if we don't have people register with legitimate email addresses, we get plastered with posts from spammers sellling on-line presciption drugs and advertising *********** sites.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts