Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Preparing for taking over a Persian Mauser Model 1309. Got two slings already - those with the tie thongs at one end. One is dark brown, 111 cm long and has been designated as "original" by the seller, the other is of light brown/ocre colour, about 112-113 cm long and they told me it's an "older reproduction".

A close examination revealed that both had obviously been British crown property - the dark one is stamped with a "broad arrow over 47" somewhere on its inner side, the light coloured with a "broad arrow over 84" on the inner side plus a sort of maker mark close to the tip (near the thongs). This mark reads as "B.H. (followed by a round imprint, maybe a letter O with something unrecognizable inside) 1944".

If I remember right, I did read somewhere that British slings have been used with Persian Mausers, but I'm not sure. So my question to owners of genuine Persian Mauser slings - what markings are on yours?

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,943 Posts
I got my sling from SAMCO with the VZ98/29 rifle in June 1994. SAMCO said at the time the sling was original. I have heard since the slings were repro. Mine has no markings. Persia had ties with the British during WWII and I remember seeing some VZ98/29 rifles with western rack numbers on the stock that were supposedly British used. I suppose it is possible that Persia had some British slings and maybe they also copied them.

I paid $193.75 plus $10.22 shipping for the rifle, matching except cleaning rod. $30.55 for the bayonet/scabbard and $13.21 for the sling. Odd amounts are probably because of credit card percentage add-on.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! So I think, both of my slings will be acceptable as (more or less) genuine for a Persian Mauser - maybe not as the one it has been delivered with from Brno, but as one which is very likely to have been fitted to it at one or another time during its service career. Since the wood of the stock is an extremely dark walnut, nearly black, I think I'll fit the dark one of those slings - simply looks better after my opinion.

And it came with matching bayonet also. But the price is a little bit different from that Bill did pay in 1994... Okay, 1994 prices look incredibly low from today's viewpoint... But what's more astonishing - the price of the sling was nearly 7% of that of the rifle - quite expensive in my eyes.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,123 Posts
Late to the party, 7x57, but both of my Persians have the old style Enfield slings, one has British markings 1941 dated, the other has no markings left. Both slings came on the rifles, one right from the distributor so it has not been messed with. The other one has no import marks, and I believe unmessed with as well.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,943 Posts
Thanks for the info! So I think, both of my slings will be acceptable as (more or less) genuine for a Persian Mauser - maybe not as the one it has been delivered with from Brno, but as one which is very likely to have been fitted to it at one or another time during its service career. Since the wood of the stock is an extremely dark walnut, nearly black, I think I'll fit the dark one of those slings - simply looks better after my opinion.

And it came with matching bayonet also. But the price is a little bit different from that Bill did pay in 1994... Okay, 1994 prices look incredibly low from today's viewpoint... But what's more astonishing - the price of the sling was nearly 7% of that of the rifle - quite expensive in my eyes.
I paid $193.75 plus $10.22 shipping for the rifle, matching except cleaning rod. $30.55 for the bayonet/scabbard and $13.21 for the sling. Odd amounts are probably because of credit card percentage add-on. Adjusted for inflation (if you believe the government figures) in today's shrinking dollar that would be:

rifle: $311.02 (1.61 increase from 1994)
shipping: $16.41
bayonet: $49.04
sling: $21.21

Price of gold per ounce (London price in U.S. dollars):
1900: $20.68
1950: $34.72
1994: $384.00
June 17, 2014: $1,267.50 (3.30 increase from 1994)

At a 3.30 increase from 1994 the prices are:
rifle: $639.38
shipping: $33.73
bayonet: $100.82
sling: $43.59

Which looks more accurate, a 3.30 increase or a 1.61 increase? The value of the rifle and accessories has not changed; the only thing that changed is the value of the dollar. Current Priority Mail shipping with insurance is now reaching $30-$35 for a rifle.

Regards,
Bill

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Perhaps Persia did not order slings with the rifles, they were not autmatically included, as far as I know. They used a lot of Brit. equipment.
They were issued by the British Army of India, which occupied southern Persia during both WW I and WW II, and very likely issued with rifles in India. All the Iranian 98/29's we have in the USA were outside of Iran after WW II.
Regards,
John

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, gents for all your input and clarification. BTW - really interesting assessment of former and today's prices and drop of money value. When we got the Euro on January 1, 2002, all wages and prices were about "halfed" from one day to the other. Prices in the meantime have for the most part now reached the same figure than they had in German Marks before. But better don't ask whether this happened with my salary, too...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.