Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
The Iranian VZ98/29 long rifle, VZ30 carbine, and M1949 carbines all have short rods (the exposed portion is shorter than normal). Bayonets for these are very strange in that they have a short cleaning rod channel and no clean out holes in the grips.

Only the Iranian VZ24 short rifle had standard cleaning rods. There is a similar but special bayonet for these that has a full length cleaning rod channel and clean out holes.

A standard Iranian bayonet will not mount on an Iranian VZ24 unless you first remove the cleaning rod. Originally, this was not a problem as all bayonets were serial number matched to the guns.

The top gun in the photo is an Iranian VZ24 short rifle
The bottom gun in the photo is an Iranian M1949 carbine.
Both have correct - different - bayonets.

The bottom VZ98/29 bayonet in the first two photos will fit the VZ98/29 long rifle, VZ30 carbine, and M1949 carbine - all of which have non-standard short cleaning rods.

The third photo shows a VZ98/29 bayonet full length mounted on a VZ98/29 long rifle. (Excuse the since replaced Japanese frog).
The fourth photo shows an Iranian made VZ98/29 bayonet.
The fifth photo shows a ZB made VZ8/29 bayonet.

Attachments

·
Registered
849 Posts
Thanks. Interesting stuff especially regarding the bayonets.

I was considering searching out a cleaning rod for my 98/29 as it doesn’t have one. But it sounds like I would need to find an actual Czech made rod for a 98/29 to ensure proper fit if I follow you correctly. I may simply leave it as is and enjoy it as is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The correct cleaning rod for the 98/29 rifle as it left the factory, is approx. 15 5/8" long (Gew. 98 length), and has a tip and diameter that matches the M24 rod. The only source for these correct rods was Samco, but they are gone now.
The Persian VZ-24 & Model 30 carbine rifles both left the factory with standard M24 rods, (approx. 14 3/4").
M-49 rifles also use a standard M24 rod as issued.
Only the M-24 FN carbines use the extra short rod with flats at the patch slot. Regards, JH

·
15,946 Posts
First photo is an Iranian VZ98/29 long rifle with an original short rod.

Second photo is an Iranian VZ30 carbine with an original short rod.

Third photo is an Iranian made M1949 carbine with an original short rod.

Fourth photo is an Iranian VZ24 first contract short rifle with an original standard length rod.

Fifth photo is an Iranian VZ24 second contract (with Iranian crest) short rifle with an original standard length rod.

Gunboards is showing the fourth photo to be larger. All photos are the same size, click on them to enlarge.

haak48, I don't know the overall length of my original VZ98/29 rod and I'm not going to dig the rifle out of where it is stored. Try mounting a standard Iranian VZ98/29 bayonet on your VZ98/29 long rifle, VZ30 carbine, and M1949 carbine that currently have a standard length rod - then post the results. Or just compare your rifles to the photos to see where the rod tip is in reference to the front sight; the added sixth photo of the VZ98/29 shows it a little better.

Attachments

·
Registered
849 Posts

Fourth photo is an Iranian VZ24 first contract short rifle with an original standard length rod.

Fifth photo is an Iranian VZ24 second contract (with Iranian crest) short rifle with an original standard length rod.

Gunboards is showing the fourth photo to be larger. All photos are the same size, click on them to enlarge.

haak48, I don't know the overall length of my original VZ98/29 rod and I'm not going to dig the rifle out of where it is stored. Try mounting a standard Iranian VZ98/29 bayonet on your VZ98/29 long rifle, VZ30 carbine, and M1949 carbine that currently have a standard length rod - then post the results. Or just compare your rifles to the photos to see where the rod tip is in reference to the front sight; the added sixth photo of the VZ98/29 shows it a little better.
I like the full length photos Geladen. Thanks! And I know there are other threads about slings for the 98/29 but your photos here give a nice look at one I think.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

Hello geladen. The gentlemen asked about rods for the Persian rifles. The info on the 98/29 (long rifle) rod I gave was correct. They can be hard to find as they are not a standard length/diameter. The VZ-24 (Persia) & the M-30 (Persia) both use the same rod. The different rod "projection", is controlled by the different nut placement location in the butt stock channel. Pull the rod from your M-30 & measure it: if correct, it should be 14-1/2 to 14-3/4", identical to the VZ-24. Remove your VZ24 & M30 rods and switch them & watch the magic. They (The M-30 rods) appear "shorter" but in fact, they just don't protrude as far. Regards, JH

·
15,946 Posts
Hello geladen. The gentlemen asked about rods for the Persian rifles. The info on the 98/29 (long rifle) rod I gave was correct. They can be hard to find as they are not a standard length/diameter. The VZ-24 (Persia) & the M-30 (Persia) both use the same rod. The different rod "projection", is controlled by the different nut placement location in the butt stock channel. Pull the rod from your M-30 & measure it: if correct, it should be 14-1/2 to 14-3/4", identical to the VZ-24. Remove your VZ24 & M30 rods and switch them & watch the magic. They (The M-30 rods) appear "shorter" but in fact, they just don't protrude as far. Regards, JH
Today is the first day I am going back to work after a 28 day episode with the flu. I will not have time to pull and compare cleaning rod lengths in the foreseeable future. My VZ98/29 rifle is buried deeply but the other Iranian rifles are available. I can understand how a standard length rod could be used if the cleaning rod nut location was different - and that would be a simple fix for the manufacturer.

·
15,946 Posts
Haak48, I apologize. My thinking was based on the cleaning rod nut locations being standard.

It is beginning to sound like a G98 (or Brazilian M1908) rod would be the correct length for a VZ98/29 rifle and would be a suitable replacement if the diameter was not too large.

·
15,946 Posts
N8theSk8: I like the full length photos Geladen. Thanks! And I know there are other threads about slings for the 98/29 but your photos here give a nice look at one I think.

The latest I heard was that the SAMCO VZ98/29 rifles came from a British controlled area of Iran and the SAMCO slings, while "correct", are actually British slings or a local copy of same. I would vote for local copy as made at the time and used on the rifles.

·
Registered
849 Posts
N8theSk8: I like the full length photos Geladen. Thanks! And I know there are other threads about slings for the 98/29 but your photos here give a nice look at one I think.

The latest I heard was that the SAMCO VZ98/29 rifles came from a British controlled area of Iran and the SAMCO slings, while "correct", are actually British slings or a local copy of same. I would vote for local copy as made at the time and used on the rifles.
I have read similar about the slings.

Normally rifles in my collection without slings and cleaning rods bother me, but with this one I am adapting or at least coping nicely!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Haak48, I apologize. My thinking was based on the cleaning rod nut locations being standard.

It is beginning to sound like a G98 (or Brazilian M1908) rod would be the correct length for a VZ98/29 rifle and would be a suitable replacement if the diameter was not too large.
Hello Bill, no apology needed! I always enjoy and learn something from your posts. And unlike you, I do not have a correct Persian marked bayonet on my VZ-24. Maybe someday, but for now, a standard VZ-24 bayonet will have to suffice. Regards, JH

·
15,946 Posts
Hello Bill, no apology needed! I always enjoy and learn something from your posts. And unlike you, I do not have a correct Persian marked bayonet on my VZ-24. Maybe someday, but for now, a standard VZ-24 bayonet will have to suffice. Regards, JH
The bayonets for the first contract Iranian VZ24 rifles (previously CS Army rifles) were VZ23 Long bayonets (blade edge up) previously unit marked and used by the CS Army on VZ23 rifles.

The bayonets for the second contract Iranian VZ24 rifles (with Iranian crest) got special Iranian bayonets, the same as VZ98/29 bayonets (blade edge down) except they had the full length cleaning rod channel and clean out holes in the grips.

~~~

My bayonet/rifle combinations are far from perfect.

I only have one VZ23 Long bayonet which is on my Czechoslovak (but German used) VZ23a rifle.

My second contract Iranian VZ24 bayonet (Iranian marked with clean-out holes) is on my first contract Iranian VZ24 rifle (with small Iranian crown).

My second contract Iranian VZ24 rifle (with Iranian crest), marked as captured by Iraq, has to make do with a standard CS Army VZ24 bayonet.

I figure a rifle captured by the enemy is more likely to have 'just any old bayonet'.

·
15,946 Posts
I have read similar about the slings.
Normally rifles in my collection without slings and cleaning rods bother me, but with this one I am adapting or at least coping nicely!
All rifles MUST have a sling, cleaning rod, bayonet/scabbard/frog, and ammo!!!!!
;)
A cleaning kit is nice to have, but not a muzzle cover - it gets in the way of the bayonet on display.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,241 Posts
That is nice to know about the British style sling. I got two of the long rifles from Samco, both had matching bayonets and where suppose to have the target that came in the box with them. They were advertised as un-issued. One had the British style sling (ratty and used) and the other had a (new) black sling with a brass buckle. Neither came with the matching target. I complained and they sent me another black leather sling. The lady on the phone said someone threw out the targets thinking it was just paper and the slings were packed in the bottom of the crate.

·
Registered
849 Posts
That is nice to know about the British style sling. I got two of the long rifles from Samco, both had matching bayonets and where suppose to have the target that came in the box with them. They were advertised as un-issued. One had the British style sling (ratty and used) and the other had a (new) black sling with a brass buckle. Neither came with the matching target. I complained and they sent me another black leather sling. The lady on the phone said someone threw out the targets thinking it was just paper and the slings were packed in the bottom of the crate.
Makes me wonder if a No1 Mk3 sling might serve at least as a placeholder on one of these until something better could be found...

·
15,946 Posts
Makes me wonder if a No1 Mk3 sling might serve at least as a placeholder on one of these until something better could be found...

Sure, but the leather sling, not the web sling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.