Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this one up today. A Samco Import Persian 98/29. Made by the Czechs? I
can't believe how smooth the action is on this gun compared to all my other Mausers. Let me know what you think. The bore is mint.
I was wondering where this rifle picked up the English painted on rack number from? UK maybe?
Thanks for your input.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Are the Persian mausers century currently list,worth obtaining?.Or are they the bottom of the barrel regards condition.
I've seen them selling for $700-$900 in excellent condition. Don't know about the Century guns. They are probably those obtained from SAMCO's bankruptcy auction. Compare it to a current Browning of Remington rifle at $900-$1,200. There is no comparison. If that rifle were made new today it would likely retail for over $2,000. Consider that all metal parts are machined compared to cast alloys and "monkey metal" castings.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have one from Samco too. I always wondered on the glossy finish on my stock. All the Persian Mauser 98/29 seem to have this glossy finish.
Question Is that correct for the rifle? I assumed it was finished during a rebuild.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice rifle Hansellhd2. When I first saw mine, I thought "refinished stock" until I looked at the Farsi writing burned into the stock thru the finish. So I assume they came with the shiny coat.
Does anyone have any ideas where mine would have picked up the 202 rack number in English. I've cruised the net looking at pix of others and have yet to see another rack number in English.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As I have stated before, I am not into the military collectables and I do try to find Mausers that have been sporterized and usually in less than excellent condition because I do like to make them nice. 4 or 5 years back, I did acquire a Persian that had been sporterized to 8mm-06 with nice metal work and a neat stock that the builder had shortened and added a great fitting pistol grip. It came from a local gun store that was selling for heirs all the guns altered by their deceased father. I paid a total of $75 including new sights, a Bushnell scope, and a Bueler safety. The trigger appeared to have been changed so I took the rifle apart to examine and clean everything. The trigger turned out to be a Sako adjustable that is probably worth twice what I paid for the whole deal. When I told the gun store owner that I needed to talk to him about that rifle, he said "You bought it, its yours". But, when I mentioned the Sako trigger his next comment was that I owed him some more money. Actually, he was a really great dealer and great to do business with before he closed and auctioned off the store so I miss him a lot.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
The members here are a great bunch of enablers. Some years back when Samco was still a viable entity many members had pics and info regarding the Persian mausers. Found one at a local gun show a few years back for $500. Ran a bore brush through the barrel and she came home with me. So my thanks to all who supplied pics and info. Same thing with the West German Sig P6's and Czech CZ82's in 9mm makarov. Frank

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Got one back then too. All matching w/matching bayonet-crazy expensive back then, so much so never fired it! Absolutely new unfired-was there a test target? going to look thru old records...
Yes there was a grease covered piece of paper that was a test target, I lost the one that came with my rifle. Honestly it looked like a piece of trash.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a matched pair of the 98/29 BRNO manufactured Mauser rifles; stocks have no markings, Persian crest and rear sights are in Arabic script (I assume). They both have the low carry and stacking swivels. Actions are like a Swiss watch action and as smooth as melted butter. Had a $ 2,400 offer for the pair but said no; the paper money isn't really worth much and they will ride inflation just like silver and gold. Besides, if I sold them then I would have to get two more of something to fill the empty rack spots in the arms room.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.