Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Admiral Perry's early meeting with the Japanese Emperor he gave five "Halls" rifles, three "Maynard" muskets. He had requested from the New York Naval Yard 96 "Halls" carbines, half flint and half percussion and 92 percussion "Jenks" carbines.

I'm looking for a source of photos for the Halls rifle and/or carbine, Jenks carbine, and Maynard musket. I don't expect them to be Japanese-maked, simply photos to familarize the reader with what was in use/surplus in the mid/late 1850s. Aany help leading to a source for one or more of these photos will be appreciated.

·
Registered
328 Posts
A good book which has all 3 Carbines would be "Carbines of the Civil War" By John D. McAulay The date on my book is 1981. I do have 2 books if you can't find one.

A side note, I work with a fellow and his last name is "Jenks"...Yes he is directly related to the man the rifle was named after.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I looked in one of my Civil War books, "Arms and Equipment of The Union" and it shows a Hall and a Maynard carbines, but unfortunately they are across the fold so you cannot reproduce it worth a darn. But I can lend you the book if you want to use it.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank's to both of you gentlemen. If possible could you photocopy the photos, realize the one with the fold will be a problem. Goes without saying I'll pay all costs. Would like to have book title, author's name, and publisher's name and address.

Has anyone attempted to obtain photos of individual rifles from the NRA museum? I note in "Military Bolt Action Rifles 1841-1918' the by D. B Webster, the Canadian War Museum is a reference for a number of photos. For the record, their telephone # is 800/555-5621, ext. 8652. Just obtained the number this PM will talk with them manana.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'll send you the extra copy of the book I have if you PM me with your mailing address.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I stand corrected....The "Jenks" is not in this particular book I have, just the "Hall" and "Maynard". It includes pictures of the actual patents and detailed drawings and photos. It's pretty cool resource.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I thought I had some pics of the "muleear" jenks carbine but didnt find them yet..on the "maynards" any idea if they were maynard rifles or simply rifles using the naval maynard tape primer system? Most CW era maynard rifles were breech loaders ,so was the Hall for that matter..ILL keep looking,Dave

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
D. White, P.O. Box 6, Eva, AL 35621-0006. Book will be returned overnight.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Doss,Have located the following types of arms in "Flayderman`s guide to American firearms,
and thier value" 1. Halls Carbines from 1833 to 1843 2.Jenks "mule ear" 1841 to 1846 3.
Maynard carbine 1857 to 1865. Pictures are printed in book along with information on rarity,
condition and values.Will scan pages of interest for you,maybe you can re-scan to eliminate
text and copy photos only.Give me the go-ahead and will mail copies to the address below.

Charlie

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Charlie, Thanks, will credit you in the acknowledgements (that and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee). Contacted the National Firearms Museum in Disneyland East (Wash. D. C.) and they said they had a like new Halls, they would photo and email me, I have to send them a request. It's amazing what you learn about late muzzle loaders and early breech loaders in a project like this.

Missed a Japanese-marked Gras on GunBroker, seller bascked out after I won the bid, but I have his photos, close up of Japanese markings. Rodent 48

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ronin, just curious, what was your winning bid on that Gras?

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Around $385, I'd offered more when I called about a better photo and he said "Make me an offer." I called the seller several times, all calls went to an answering machine, told him I was willing to pay what I'd offered. I finally got his email address and emailed him. Then he answered, all kind of excuses, lies, he was selling for a friend and friend had decided not to sell, etc.. Live and learn.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thats too bad. I guess he "got lernin'" before the auction ended and realized it was worth something. Or someone gave him a huge offer and sold it to the person with the big pockets. I thought only the bad luck on the auction sites happened to me.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,918 Posts
Hopefully this is what you are referring to -

An acquaintance of mine is a black-powder collector.

HTH

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any chance of getting these on a light background with the buttstock characters showing?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
Now that's a very nice piece of american history!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Sure is an odd shaped rifle, sort of boat shaped. I have been to the area where Harpers Ferry Arsenal once stood. Hard to tell that it once was a major Arsenal of the United States.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Topside, Your book arrived, I made notes and it's on it's way back to you. Charlie, your envelope was in the mail this AM. Thanks to both of you. Doss

1 - 20 of 22 Posts