Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
Sure BR, Ill tell you what I'm doing over here. First though, post your real name, ssn dob and address here. Then, I'll tell you exactly what I'm doing here.

· Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
I had a job opportunity and at 25 wanted to make some green and start paying off all that debt I had accumulated.
I'm a little confused now. You said in this thread that you were accepted to UNM for ROTC in '82. You graduated at 25, which would make it 1989, right? Then when were you an engineer in the aerospace industry? In the thread "Well, Dam Me", you claimed you were laid off in 1989. Maybe my math is off but..........

· Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
Still haven't heard one of your shrill responses. What say ye engineer?

· Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
No response. Kind of hard to dig yourself out now isn't it?

· Registered
1,571 Posts
I hate to rain on you parade, BR, but the Pentagon has already notified Prez-elect Obama that a surge isn't going to make much difference. More troops may become available after 2011 when we are scheduled to remove all troops from Iran [sic].
Out of curiosity, when did the Pentagon make such a statement?

· Registered
190 Posts
I hate to rain on you parade, BR, but the Pentagon has already notified Prez-elect Obama that a surge isn't going to make much difference. A 'Surge' of 20,000 troops in reality means about 2500 combat troops, assuming that the current in country ratio of of seven support troops to one combat soldier holds. Furthermore the Pentagon has said that the troop increase will be mainly used to maintain security in Kabul and the surounding countryside. More troops may become available after 2011 when we are scheduled to remove all troops from Iran.

Afghanistan has the potential to become Obama's albatross just as Vietnam was Johnson's and Nixon's. It will be interesting to observe the changes in opinions of both Obamaphile's and 'phobes as this mess continues over the coming years. Or decades...
The last person to ever conquer Afganistan was Alexander the Great and that was over 2000 some odd years ago. The Brits tried it, the Soviets too- all lead to abject failure. The only reason Alexander did it was by incorporating the native peoples into his armies as he was at the time interested in invading India.
Im fairly sure the Iranians will be grateful to know we'll have all the US troops out of Iran by 2011 also.

JAK;)

· Registered
7,503 Posts
http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?article=59288

Wonder how long it will take for SS Lt Amtroller to call this guy a traitor?

Commander: A ‘surge’ isn’t the answer in Afghanistan
General seeks sustained increase in troop levels

Stars and Stripes
Mideast edition, Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The top commander of U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan says that 2009 will be a "tough fight" in Afghanistan, and the United States will need nearly twice as many troops for up to four years to stabilize the country.

Gen. David McKiernan told USA Today on Sunday that increasing U.S. troop levels from about 32,000 to 55,000 or 60,000 is "needed until we get to this tipping point where the Afghan army and the Afghan police have both the capacity and capability to provide security for their people. That is at least three or four more years away."

A report issued Monday by a Europe-based think tank said that the Taliban have expanded their presence in Afghanistan to cover more than 70 percent of the country.

The report, issued by the International Council on Security and Development, said that the Taliban presence this year was up from 54 percent of the country last year.

"While the international community’s prospects in Afghanistan have never been bleaker, the Taliban has been experiencing a renaissance that has gained momentum since 2005. The West is in genuine danger of losing Afghanistan," its authors wrote.

McKiernan told USA Today that he has asked the Pentagon for more than 20,000 soldiers, Marines and airmen. He also called on NATO nations to increase their commitment of troops to Afghanistan and to remove restrictions on how and when they can fight. There are about 31,000 troops from other nations in Afghanistan.

U.S. troop levels probably will need to remain at elevated levels for "several years at a minimum," Andrew Krepinevich, president of the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments, told USA Today.

McKiernan told the paper that his request for more troops differs from the escalation in Iraq last year. The addition of more than 30,000 troops there, combined with a new strategy, helped improve security.

"I don’t like to use the word ‘surge’ here because if we put these additional forces in here, it’s going to be for the next few years," he said. "It’s not a temporary increase of combat strength."

The Paris-based ICSD, which maintains full-time offices in Afghanistan, said the Taliban have spread across much of the country and are beginning to encircle the capital, Kabul.

A NATO spokesman on Monday criticized the report, saying "we don’t see the figures in this report as being credible at all," according to wire services.

"The Taliban are only present in the south and east, which is already less than 50 percent of the country."

But the group contends that Taliban fighters have advanced out of southern Afghanistan, saying that Taliban forces can be found in 72 percent of Afghanistan, up from 54 percent a year earlier, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

"… [T]he Taliban has been experiencing a renaissance that has gained momentum since 2005," the report said. "[T]here is a danger that Afghanistan will be lost for at least another generation."

Other critics pointed out that the report defined "permanent Taliban presence" as a province that averaged at least one violent insurgent attack per week over the entire year.

Afghan government officials also criticized the report, calling it "questionable methodology" to base conclusions on "sporadic"

· Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
Gem McKiernan has his opinions. That is one article little fella. I don't see us pulling out yet. Why don't you pull up recent postings from Gen Conway. Nice try at saving BR from himself. I'm sure he appreciates it.

· Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Gem McKiernan has his opinions. That is one article little fella. I don't see us pulling out yet. Why don't you pull up recent postings from Gen Conway. Nice try at saving BR from himself. I'm sure he appreciates it.
Nah, I don't need MB's help, unlike you Amtraker who needs the help of our local Klansman M1A.

Oh, btw, it's Gen. McKiernan, not GEM.

Show some respect for the man. At least he could stick it out.

· Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
Show some respect for the man. At least he could stick it out.
Funny, I did stick it out to retirement (it's twenty years in the military, but you knew that didn't you?) Now how long did you last in the defense industry before they showed you the door? A year? Less? What is it you do now that is so important?

· Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
This may come as a shock to you, BUT generals DO NOT MAKE POLICY. MacArthur found that out the hard way when he tried it in Korea.
I will always be gratreful to Truman for sacking him. We could STILL be fighting the chinese. I missed the Korean war by six months.
John, of course generals don't make policy, BR does from his Tactical Command Couch. Everyone knows that. lol.

· Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Funny, I did stick it out to retirement (it's twenty years in the military, but you knew that didn't you?) Now how long did you last in the defense industry before they showed you the door? A year? Less? What is it you do now that is so important?

Yeah, wouldn't you like to know. Funny, you can't tell me what you do when I ask you.

Try the search feature. I guess laziness was one of the reasons you ditched the Marines. Or is that a trait you've recently picked up?

· Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
Yeah, wouldn't you like to know. Funny, you can't tell me what you do when I ask you.

Try the search feature. I guess laziness was one of the reasons you ditched the Marines. Or is that a trait you've recently picked up?
Oh my, another Internettoughguy comment. How do you cover your failed career in the defense industry on resumes? As for ditching the Marine Corps, they seem to be quite happy with my two decades plus of service. I get a nice check every first of the month (but you wouldn't know about that then). As for what I do, I told you, I'm a teacher. Now, about your occupation..............

· Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Oh my, another Internettoughguy comment. How do you cover your failed career in the defense industry on resumes? As for ditching the Marine Corps, they seem to be quite happy with my two decades plus of service. I get a nice check every first of the month (but you wouldn't know about that then). As for what I do, I told you, I'm a teacher. Now, about your occupation..............

Nope, I asked you specifically whom you taught. You didn't answer.

Learn how to use the search feature, as you used to tell me. Remember?

· Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
I teach a wide variety of people certain key subjects. Now, time for your answer.

· Registered
7,503 Posts
This may come as a shock to you, BUT generals DO NOT MAKE POLICY. MacArthur found that out the hard way when he tried it in Korea.
I will always be gratreful to Truman for sacking him. We could STILL be fighting the chinese. I missed the Korean war by six months.
No shit sherlock, that's why, in spite of of all the generals who warned NOT TO INVADE IRAQ, Bush did anyway.

· Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I teach a wide variety of people certain key subjects. Now, time for your answer.
Like you I am an educator/consultant in the private sector.

Now, since you don't want to tell me whom you specifically teach, may I ask why you won't? I mean what does it matter if I know if you teach the army or the police?

· Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
Like you I am an educator/consultant in the private sector.

Now, since you don't want to tell me whom you specifically teach, may I ask why you won't? I mean what does it matter if I know if you teach the army or the police?
No, you are nothing like me. Don't flatter yourself. No, you may not ask that question about what I do. You have no need to know what I specifically do out here.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.