Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a super nice ex sniper round receiver that is a side mount PEM with the plugged holes. Boltman is working the bolt and I found a Ukranian PEM copy scope that came with bases and rings for a round receiver.

The only side mount available is the accumounts which has rings that are 26mm or 1.6 inches. The PEM scope I have is 1.75-1.78 in diameter. I am not sure that the accumounts rings will even work.

Has anyone run into this before and how did you fix it?

Hate to do it, but almost seems like the only way to do it is drill and tap the receiver for the round mount on the scope now.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have a super nice ex sniper round receiver that is a side mount PEM with the plugged holes. Boltman is working the bolt and I found a Ukranian PEM copy scope that came with bases and rings for a round receiver.

The only side mount available is the accumounts which has rings that are 26mm or 1.6 inches. The PEM scope I have is 1.75-1.78 in diameter. I am not sure that the accumounts rings will even work.

Has anyone run into this before and how did you fix it?

Hate to do it, but almost seems like the only way to do it is drill and tap the receiver for the round mount on the scope now.
Are you sure about your measurements? 26mm =1.0236 inches
1.75" = 44.45mm

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
+1.

Don't try to put a topmount on a sidemount - if you want to do that either find a topmount with no serial number in the way of drilling holes ( an awful job to do a topmount right anyhow) or do it to some far less historic never-drilled rifle.

As said, seriously Bubba in my humble opinion.(Of course, there are some who think my rescoping ex-snipers is Bubba, so my purist status is definitely compromised.)

I have a Ukrainian PE replica (adjustable scopes are earlier PE replicas, not later PEMs) and the Accumount sidemount fits both my real PEMS and the Accumounts and Ukrainian PE replicas fine. (I used the first Accumounts sidemount made and am very happy with it.)

if you have questions, call or email John at Accumounts -he has always been glad to answer questions.

Accumounts PEM mount works with ukrainian PE scope and genuine PEMs too.

Please don't use PE mounts on ex-PEM. That's just bubba. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thought I would post an update.

Bruce Dow at Dow Arms room is doing my restoration (?) and seems we have an issue.

He is sure the scope is in actuality an original pristine Russian. It has the elevation turret pinned at 400m which was not uncommon he says for the Russians to do. By far the best PEM scope he has seen.

He is going to try and take out the pin and make it so it can be adjusted.

Seems I might have lucked out for $200!

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,486 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
734 Posts
Very Nice Dmitry! It even came with the cover and caps? If so the covers are usually $150 and up. The caps I rarely see for sale and if I do they are over $100. It would be sweet if you were able to get these in from time to time.

Thanks Brian. Yes it came with the cover and caps :) Since I've cornered the PU sniper/scope market, now it's time to branch out into PE/PEM, LOL.

Spaciba Alex. I think the sellers other mistake was listing it only in Russian and a very high shipping cost. Fortunately Russian was not an issue for me. It is in excellent shape. Certainly better than pictured or described.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,176 Posts
Thanks Brian. Yes it came with the cover and caps :) Since I've cornered the PU sniper/scope market, now it's time to branch out into PE/PEM, LOL.

Spaciba Alex. I think the sellers other mistake was listing it only in Russian and a very high shipping cost. Fortunately Russian was not an issue for me. It is in excellent shape. Certainly better than pictured or described.

That is a super nice PEM scope. Congratulations.

The OP's rifle was near certain a side mount and a PEM scope would be better than a repro PE, which is what he has. Some repro PEs do not fit well in many repro nor original mounts so beware of potential problems. An original PEM scope is the best choice. Additionally, with rifle almost surely originally have been a side mount, using a top mount on it would be a very unwise decision. Some shun any restoration but with no originals being available restore or do without. Once originals show up(won't happen as they are extremely rare even in Russian museums) then we can have a choice. Restore or do without is the reality.

Good luck with the restoration but please do your homework hharke before you act.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.