Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this picture before. What the heck is this? Maybe two feet long with fins. Looks like some type of rocket but when I picked it up it was very light with a thin, metal body. Flare of some type? Found in a huge cave on Peleliu.

Thanks in advance, Eric

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Looks like a spigot mortar. Fired pheumatically, or by blank cartridge. Maybe for messages, or leaflets?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Probably a Japanese Navy Type 0 model 1

It looks like it is a flare, probably a Navy Type 0 Model 1. Measuring 13 3/4 by 3 inches. From "Handbook of Japanese explosive ordnance OPNAV 30-3M, pp 242-243. These were floating sea Flares. They have a weighted nose and the smoke exits out the tail. Great picture. I might have ID'ed this on a different site?

Jim
JapaneseOrdnance(at)yahoo.com

The second flare from the left in the picture measures 20 inches long, 4 inches wide, it could be that one as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim,

You're the man! Yes, that is exactly what it looks like! Now that I think of it, it was pretty small and I vividly recall how light it was. Found it in 1999 in Col. Nakagawa's command cave. Thank you very much for the quick reply and it appears that you're right on with the ID. Nice job.

-Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts