Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These 7.7mm rounds (clip) seemed to be in excellent condition with paper wrapping around clip still intact. Note leather ammo pouch and live 'nade with pin.

-Eric

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn, wrong attachment! These are actually 20mm drum magazines found in a cave on Peleliu. The Japanese used 20mm cannons from their wrecked Zeroes that were destroyed on the airfield to beef-up cave positions.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Holy cow, that's an Oerlikon license turned into T-99 20mm MG drum mag ! Man, I wish I could own just one of those things. Very cool.

·
Registered
93 Posts
whitesharkseeker,the 'nade that you found with the 7.7 ammo,do you think it would still go off if the pin was pulled? or was it washed out.

fzane.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whitesharkseeker,the 'nade that you found with the 7.7 ammo,do you think it would still go off if the pin was pulled? or was it washed out.

fzane.
No. Those things are in an advanced state of corrosion and probably too far gone to still explode. I was walking in a dark cave one day and heard a snap as a I walked over something. It was a Japanese grenade, complete with fuse and pin. I had broken the grenade fuse as I stepped on it! We tossed another live 'nade off a cliff and nothing happened. The island guide, however, collected 75mm artillery fuses one day and made a home-made mortar round that exploded with a load bang. Several islanders in the years past would attempt to remove the brass around unexploded ordnance and kill themselves when the round exploded. On the other hand, some of those 7.7mm rounds would probably still work that I found in the caves.

-Eric

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
I've just started watching "The War" this week and these photos really enhance what I've been watching. Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Read "The Old Breed" by Sledge about the battle. Seems they discovered that they could bypass the island without a battle, but the generals said "What the hell, everything is ready so we might as well attack!" Tell that to the thousands killed.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
I did read that book a long time ago & have it around here, somewhere. May be time for a re-read! Another good book about this battle is "Brotherhood of Brothers" by Bill Sloan.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
James Hallas' book "The Devil's Anvil" is probably the best all-around account of the battle with vet memoirs. Sload wrote about the memoirs, for the most part, of K-3-5 (Sledge's unit) that has already been written about in Sledge's book "W.T.O.B." It's ok from a different perspective but alot of those memoirs were recollections after 55-plus years. Of course the bible on the Peleliu battle is Frank Hough's official narrative. If you like small unit action accounts, George Hunt's "Coral Comes High" is hard to beat. Written right after the war.

-Eric

·
Gold Bullet member
11,316 Posts
Eric, I'm about 1/3 the way through "The Devil's Anvil". It is very interesting, and each anecdote described evokes images of what it must have been like. I wish it had a few more map sketches to visualize the battlefield.

Your post above answers one question I've been wondering about whilst reading the book... It would seem that Capt George Hunt did survive the battle (and the war). I recall something in the opening of the book that described how he was supposed to have been rotated to the States, but was kept in the Division for the Peleliu campaign. I'm at D+2 right now, and it sure seems like a hell of a battle so far. What I would do to be able to visit the island...

·
Copper Bullet member
4,063 Posts
What I would do to be able to visit the island...
You and me both bones.

Eric, you ever thought of doing maps of the internal areas of the different defensive positions on the island (preferably without revealing their exact locations)? It'd be fascinating to see how the caves were designed and constructed

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eric, I'm about 1/3 the way through "The Devil's Anvil". It is very interesting, and each anecdote described evokes images of what it must have been like. I wish it had a few more map sketches to visualize the battlefield.

Your post above answers one question I've been wondering about whilst reading the book... It would seem that Capt George Hunt did survive the battle (and the war). I recall something in the opening of the book that described how he was supposed to have been rotated to the States, but was kept in the Division for the Peleliu campaign. I'm at D+2 right now, and it sure seems like a hell of a battle so far. What I would do to be able to visit the island...
Yes, Hunt survived the war and became editor for Time Life magazine. He died in the early 80's. Chesty Puller wanted Hunt's Company (King Co.) for the tough assignment to take the Point because of his confidence in Hunt's leadership.

-Eric

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You and me both bones.

Eric, you ever thought of doing maps of the internal areas of the different defensive positions on the island (preferably without revealing their exact locations)? It'd be fascinating to see how the caves were designed and constructed
Yes, of course. I have conducted extensive surveys of the cave/defensive positions and sketched most of them out. I've spent weeks crawling in and out of them during past Peleliu ventures but have never published them. I do have a copy of the official cave study done in1945 for the War Dept. that has many diagrams and maps.

-Eric

1 - 16 of 16 Posts