Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have to agree with bodybag...the Pearce grips are real nice for shooting. The Dennisgrips look great, but I don't know how much I'd want to shoot them, I'd be afraid of cracking them. The regular old factory grips would be best if you're going to carry it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Pearce Grips are supposed to be the best for shooting. Soft and comfortable but you can't carry with them as they are bulkier and the rubber grips your clothes too much.

I have Dennis grips on my Bulgy and they are very comfortable for carry and shooting. The standard red star or Baikal black grips are thin but the Dennis' grips are perfect! I have fired 1000s of rounds with the Dennis grips on and never had an issue. I have heard of others that had them crack on the P-64 but Dennis replaced them with an updated design...for free. Never an issue with a Mak as far as I know. I think Dennis grips are the way to go period...they look good function well!!! They also ain't cheap.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have Pearce grips on my shooters, and Dennis on my carry piece, as others have suggested. What I find surprising is that, even though they are much thinner than the Pearce, and actually feel thinner than the stock EG grips that I used to have on my carry piece, the Dennis grips are just as comfortable to shoot as the Pearce, and more comfortable than the stock EG grips. Maybe it's all psychological, and just because I know the gun looks so much better with the Dennis grips on, but still . . .

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
... They also ain't cheap.
Do you think they are expensive? I bought a pair for my Mak & P-64 for $70 shipped for the both. When I first saw them, and contacted Dennis about them and he told me the price for one pair...I ordered two. :) I thought it was very reasonable. Your comment must have been a typo. :D :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pearce vs military grips

If you're smaller in stature like I am, you may find the Pearce grips too big to comfortably carry all day. After a few hours, I really missed the slimmer, plastic star grips.
I hardly notice my Bulgie with the star grips, and as mentioned by someone earlier, they do not print as much, although I didn't really have a problem with that.

Either choice will do just fine. Go with what you're most comfortable and most confident with.

One thing to consider, though. If you change your grips to Pearce for a day of shooting because they reduce felt recoil, could this impact your shooting in an emergency situation?
I would (and do) practice with what I carry.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't care for the Pearce grips--too fat. I bought a pair for my bulgie, to replace the thumbrest grip. I didn't have them on for more than ten minutes before deciding I hated them. Replaced it with an original red star grip. Much better, IMO.

·
Administrator
7,282 Posts
I gave mine away. Like others they were too large for me and make the grip uncomfortably wide.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love my Pearce grips. Make it real pleasure to shoot and have them on my Bulgy CCW. I don't have a problem with it for CCW but they are thicker and I wonder if the Makwraps sold by makarov.com might be the perfect CCW grips. I'd love some of those beautifull Dennis grips but not on my CCW as I know I would barf them up and be sick. I need to get another Mak to keep at home for those.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a set of Dennis khaya mahogany and absolutely love them. For me, the Pearce grips were too large for my hands and the rubber was softer than I like for carry. The Dennis grips are just perfect for both uses.

·
Registered
622 Posts
My hands are pretty big and the added bulk of the Pearce makes for uncomfortable shooting. I have a set of EG grips for my everyday carry IJ70 and a set of Dennis grips for the dressy bulgy. I may get another set for the IJ, I really like the way they look/feel. Dennis made them to be checkered on the outside and smooth on the inside for me, that way the checkering doesn't bite into my spare tire if I am not wearing an undershirt.

·
Registered
658 Posts
My Pearce that I ordered for my Mak came in today and it makes a world of difference. But...a hi-cap is a different animal than a standard Mak. The Pearce is actually a tad smaller than the factory grip and feels a whole lot better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts