Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is alot of discussion on the current batch of 91-30 imports containing ex-snipers...some with new stocks and mount holes filled...have we seen PE and PEM rifles that are otherwise unmolested but missing scopes and mounts...I see the repro mounts and scopes on the auction sites so I assume they are being used. Thanks,
Flakshield

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,570 Posts
I don't think so.......

As far as PE and PEM snipers, the exsnipers coming into the country now are about the only game in town. A few scopeless Finn captured snipers came into this country some years ago. I was fortunate to obtain a 3fer on scopeless Finn capture PE snipers a few years ago. Two 1937s and one 1939, which I have added mounts and scopes to, and have shown a couple times on this board. I think all the activity reguarding the scopes and mounts on ebay is mostly directed towards the restoration of exsnipers. The PEM siderail exsnipers are VERY expensive to restore, as the mounts are tough to find.:(

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Duane...that is a fine looking PE sniper you have...I figured as much on availability but was hoping maybe there were a few here and there...I was out of the collecting loop for about 7 years so I missed the Finn batch...have two PU's from the early imports...one completely matching Tula in near mint condition... the other came scopeless and has mismatched but genuine PU scope on it. Both were group buys off the old Trader. Those were the days!
Flakshield

·
Gold Bullet member
2,278 Posts
i have an orginal finn pem siderail (it a tula,came with orginal base on it and has a beat up tula mount and a 38 pem on it) and a top mount pe ( poulas marked/ the guy i bought it from missed the welded mount holes..it is a 1935 tula and not ch marked).those are the only two i have ever seen for sale..i know many more are owned by board members here. they have posted numerous photos..ask vic to show you a few...

·
Gold Bullet member
2,096 Posts
Well, I have two ex-PE's and six ex-PEM's, but those are ex's, but I did manage to find a '36 Finn'd scopeless PE, but that was the only one I'd ever seen. So, in short, scopeless snipers are out there, but they're a whole lot scarcer than the ex's.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys...I know Vic has a "few"...was just curious if there were any popping up in the recent import batch...the scopeless rather than ex versions...will keep my eyes open...Duane's original post of his PE at the range made me think about this...the PU's are nice snipers but after you see a PE or PEM the bug gets you.
Flakshield

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
This has probably been asked before, though I can't find it in a search. Are there specific marks to look for on a scopeless PE/PEM or are you limited to looking for the welded up holes of the PE mount? Also, which arsenal was the predominate producer of these rifles?

TIA

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
I have only seen one in the past 4-5 years and that was by accident-it was bought and behind a friends table when I went to sit down with him. It was a top mount and [SA] marked. I was lucky back in the day as I was actively after these and had a chance to cherry pick about a dozen of them at one time. Today it seems like the only ones that are around are the ex snipers welded up.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,570 Posts
Scopeless vs Exsnipers

Ok, The Mosin snipers that are in original condition, but have had the scope mounts removed, we call scopeless snipers. The Finn batch (mostly PE) that came into this country and the PUs that Century and Samco sold are examples of these. The exsnipers have had the mounts removed, the holes plugged with screws and pins, and welded over. They had the sniper bolts replaced with standard 91/30 bolts, and have been refurbed. All Tula snipers built from 1932 thru 1940 were done at Tula and bear the cn sniper proof. They were top and side mounted with PE and PEM scopes. 1942, side mount PEM snipers were built at Tula and Izhevsk. The Tulas were marked with CH, and the Izhevsk rifles were marked with the scope number on the left side of the barrel shank. That being said, some snipers from 1942 are lacking these markings. Of course, being exsnipers, the scope mount holes are obvious inside the receiver. The odd rifle will not conform to these guidelines. Some(few) top mount snipers were built up to 42/43. You can go to Mosin Nagant.net and there is a wealth of information on snipers there.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great info Duane...thanks...Vic, I think I saw your stash some years back...I have a Samco PU...43 Tula I believe...need to verify the date...and one of the Century scopeless PU's with side mount...have a scope and mount for it from Empire, back when Dennis had a run on these. But I want a PE or PEM so the search is on...I don't mind using a repro mount and scope if I must. Thanks guys,
Flakshield

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.