Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this Mossberg 395KB at the pawn shop yesterday... did some research and went back today and purchased it. All in all it’s in pretty nice condition. These were cheap shotguns made by Mossberg when sold in the 1960’s - 1980’s. I don’t see 12ga bolt action shotguns too often... especially this nice. I think the weak part of these guns were at the wrist... this one isn’t cracked.

The bad... somebody cut off the choke. Maybe wanted to make it a deer gun with slugs? All it really needs is a front bead sight. Not everyday (Especially today) can you buy a gun out the door for $100.00... even has a 2 round detactchanle mag... pretty cool! Sling included...

Would anybody know what year this was actually manufactured?

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
58,830 Posts
I don't know (and cannot seem to find a reference) if Mossberg ran a serial for one or all of a type of receiver,

having a 6 digit serail, guessing (as in WAG) late 70's?

they were made from 63 ish to 83ish, serial's became necessary in 1968

I did find a reference that suggested the B (as in KB) meant a change, from the K, then KA, but no idea what changed

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,188 Posts
Chokes can be bad news with plastic wads. The old paper ones burned out or shredded. The Plastic ones stick to the choke and could blow the barrel . It was all the rage to put a "Poly Choke" on your shotgun , back when but a bad idea today. Good thing you got the magazine. Those are harder to find than the gun.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody for the comments... whoever cut the choke off the barrel didn’t do a great job at cutting. I don’t think he shot anything through it after removing the choke (at least I hope he didn’t). Spent today cleaning up the end of the barrel. There’re slight vice marks at the end of the barrel. Thinking about refinishing the barrel because spots of blue missing and some deep rust. I can make it look a lot better...

I agree... those chokes were junk. I don’t blame him for cutting it off... but at least do a decent job!

Here’s what I found on a forum in regard to what the letters mean

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Chokes can be bad news with plastic wads. The old paper ones burned out or shredded. The Plastic ones stick to the choke and could blow the barrel . It was all the rage to put a "Poly Choke" on your shotgun , back when but a bad idea today. Good thing you got the magazine. Those are harder to find than the gun.
Why would the Mossberg adjustable choke be any different than dozens of other vintage makes that have been shot with plastic wads for decades? I have owned several of this very gun and they performed well with the attached choke. I'm guessing somebody chopped it off to make it a "tactical" shotgun and ruined it for anything but cylinder bore shooting.
As far as paper wads "burning out or shredding" I have recovered card overpowder wads nearly intact-one from inside a deer! If the wads burn or disintegrate they fail to perform their intended function.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey, I've got one of those, mine is a single shot as it came to me missing the magazine so I cut a block of wood to fit the well to seal it off. Good shooter, stiff recoil. No problems with the choke and plastic wads, yet. Mine is a 390KB, not a 395 KB.
Tartan Textile Orange Sleeve Wood
Brown Wood Publication Book Tints and shades

Reactions: 26Intrepid

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Magazines are a little steep for these guns for only being 2 round mags ($50.00-$70.00). I think the guns sold for $50.00-$60.00 when new. Crazy!

The safety doesn’t work on this one either. I think that was another problem with it... I wonder why? Fires both on safety and fire.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had one of these that was stolen from my camp about 10 years ago. I think I paid $75 for it. For some reason, the theif(s) didn’t steal the magazine that was on the shelf loaded with 2 slugs 🤷‍♂️. The point of the gun was one I could leave up there and not really worry about a more expensive or nicer gun getting stolen, so you could said it served its purpose. Guess it’s good to hear that the magazine is at least worth what I paid. Still like old mossbergs, especially the 22’s.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That’s a bummer... can’t stand a thief! Go get a job!... sorry about your gun. I’m gonna refinish the barrel on this one and go through it. Since the barrel was cut I figure it’s not worth much anyways. I might as well make it look as good as I can. I have it all in parts... hope I can get it back together in a month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts