Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was helping some folks out on Black Powder Mausers like 71/84 so thought I would provide a small item of Mauser history that Led to 71/84 model.

As Early as 1881 Paul had been experimenting with various magazine loaded rifles using the already known Tubular Feed system. By 1882 Paul Patented his First Tube feed Mauser designated as Model 1882 and sent samples to Spandau. Spandau then offered to run a Troop Trial with 2000 Mod, 82 rifles. The final order was for 2024 units as the 24 extra would be run through Technical tests etc. Regards, Jon

1. Image shows the Model 82 Rifle, Note the extended magazine tube at front end

2. Close up left wall of another example shows Only Brothers Mauser with No model designation as on 71/84

3. July 27 Spandau Order for 2024 rifles

4. First preliminary talks from Spandau with Letter headed doc

5. These docs were folded up in to post size envelopes and then stamped on address side and back side

6. Spandau Post marks

7. Spandau order for Spare parts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On photo of rifle I sent you will see Designation 71/84 as Lockhoven only obtained original docs on true history at later date. Here is Photo that shows Paul Mauser at the Spandau trials hand over of First 82 models. Jon

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jon Speed has a large collection of Mauser related historical documents. We are all very fortunate that Jon works and I do mean WORKS to provide all of us with primary sources comprised of original documentation. We are also very fortunate that he is so giving of his time and knowledge. There are many that horde or hide their collections, or want monetary compensation for sharing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jon Speed has a large collection of Mauser related historical documents. We are all very fortunate that Jon works and I do mean WORKS to provide all of us with primary sources comprised of original documentation. We are also very fortunate that he is so giving of his time and knowledge. There are many that horde or hide their collections, or want monetary compensation for sharing.
I believe that one of the greatest complements you can give a man is to say "He wears his knowledge lightly and gives of it freely"

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Fascinating!

I have a few military surplus rifles, but the various Mausers I have are my favorites.

The history and evolution of their work is amazing.

Thanks for sharing OP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.