Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Diamond Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a photo of a fine upstanding young man in front of three tanks that are slated for restoration at the Patton Museum at Fort Knox. The picture is 3 or 4 years old. The tanks are from left to right, German Pzkw III with the short 50mm gun, mid war Russian T-34/76 and a German Panther. It was cold, I wish I had more photos of these tanks.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
61,354 Posts
It does look cold.

Do you know if the they are finsihed with them ??

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,878 Posts
More tanks

Here are some pictures from early summer of 2007 at the Patton Museum. I've got some (hundreds) from the UK Tank Museum at Bovington, if there is something in particular you want to see.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here are some pictures from early summer of 2007 at the Patton Museum. I've got some (hundreds) from the UK Tank Museum at Bovington, if there is something in particular you want to see.
THE TIGERS!!!! The Tiger II at the Patton museum is one of the most impressive looking tanks I have ever seen. Also looks like they have added a gun to the Japanese tank in your photo...I think it was missing when I was there in the mid 90's. I'd have to dig out my photos to check for sure though.

·
Diamond Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
same day different tank

Here is my son standing in front of the US T-28 tank. This tanks was designed to attack the Seigfried Line but was not needed.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,628 Posts
One of the worst ideas ever, but what the hey - at least we didn't field it except in a test environment.

·
25,878 Posts
hummm....

If I was staring down one of these in a M4A2, I think I'd want one!

·
25,878 Posts
here are a few more that arguably were better

than the thin skinned and under armed Sherman. (OK, the T-34 was probably a close match up)

These are at the UK Tank Museum at Bovington, Wool, G.B.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
61,354 Posts
Thanks for the photos

·
Registered
490 Posts
Cool photos!

·
Registered
97 Posts
My first and only trip so far was in Nov. of '93. I bought a coffee cup in the gift shop with a M48 & M60 on it...I think. The ink for the tanks wore off long ago and the handle has been glued together and back on at least twice. It was my favorite cup for a long time. These photos make me want to take my soon to be 14 year old son down for a visit and get a new cup. Thanks for posting fellows!

ETA: Son and I are going down Veteran's Day weekend to visit. Thanks for planting the seed guys.

·
94,628 Posts
Was there for a year on a post-Vietnam tour, September, 1969-August, 1970. I understand most (but not all) of the Patton Collection, and many of the road-side sentinels, have been moved down to Benning along with the transfer of the Armor Center. And much of the Ordnance Center collection has gone from Aberdeen to Fort A.P. Hill, along with the ordnance Center & School. Yep - can't go back again, at least not and expect to find what things were the last time you were there.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hello Clyde. I live only 100 miles west of Knox (may it rest in peace)- Owensboro. I hated to see USATCA moved tp Benning, how ever I don't recall them asking for my input. see ya around the boards. THANKS FOR SERVING

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
am I the only one who cant see the photo's ? all I see in my thread is a paperclip which states "attached thumbnails' I tried clicking on that and nothing.

·
Registered
695 Posts
am I the only one who cant see the photo's ? all I see in my thread is a paperclip which states "attached thumbnails' I tried clicking on that and nothing.
Same here. They were posted nearly 10 years ago. Swallowed in the mists of time - possibly defunct server or photo hosting site.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Thanks Richie....That is the problem! its an old thread. I didnt even realize someone had brought to life an older thread. I find that a lot when doing research the old threads lose the pics. the people who originally posted them may no longer be members or your own account only holds so much data so older posts and pics get deleted as you upload newer ones. Thats the problem!

·
94,628 Posts
Hello Clyde. I live only 100 miles west of Knox (may it rest in peace)- Owensboro. I hated to see USATCA moved tp Benning, how ever I don't recall them asking for my input. see ya around the boards. THANKS FOR SERVING
Thanks for the kind words. Have to admit that wasn't the greatest year I ever spent. Lot of difficulties of one sort or another related to RVN still being fairly hot but showing signs to winding down, anti-military attitudes, and we won't discuss how the 198th got along with Boatwright (sp?) Field maintenance Facility (civilian manned and operated).

Some interesting memories though - including thinking (to the point that we manned up, drew ammo and got the convoy ready to go) we were going to implement our part of Operation Garden Plot (the big civil disturbance plan) right after Kent State. Man I am glad we didn't have to do that.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hello Clyde. that was a very decisive time in our lives. I remember an R. A. confronting me in basic training, telling me I was N.G.- no good & no guts, I assured the young man at that time " I was next to GOD & NOT GOING" I only hope he returned home safe - unlike a friend of mine. I lost my hearing in basic training as a result of a simulator explosion, and am now going to ask the VA if I qualify for a hearing aid ? I don't hold out much hope. I have enjoyed our past conversations my friend & hope for more in the future.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts