Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Awesome photos! Looks like they changed out some of their displayys since I was up there last. I love the diorama with the WWI tank. Before, if I remember right, there was a diorama of an Allied soldier pushing a wheeled armored plate towards a German MG. Then the WWI and interwar stuff was kind of grouped together in a large hall. They have also changed out some of the WW2 Axis vehicles. There was a Jagdpanzer IV where the Marder II and Schwimmwagen are. The Kettenkrad and Kubelwagen were also not on display.

Have they gotten their new facility yet?

Did you go further on base? Down one of the main roads, there used to be a building that they used to practice loading and unloading LSTs during the war. The one end of the structure was shaped like an LST, complete with the double doors.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,043 Posts
Neat-O!
Things have definately changed
in the 30+ years since I was there!
Thanks for sharing!
:)

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
96,339 Posts
Have to agree with Videodon, lot of change sine I was last at Fort Knox (1970, it was). Shockingly, I understand that under the latest BRAC list, the Armor Center & School is leaving Knox and going to somewhere else (is it Benning? I can just see how the Infantry and Armor Schools will get along; better they send it to Fort Hood where there are pretty good maneuver and range areas configured for tanks).

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
They have some interesting tanks that have never been on display also. One I remember from when I was there in the late 70's was a T-23. If I can find the old photo album I'll try to scan in a couple pics.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have some more photos from the Patton side of the museum that I will post if someone wants to see them. In my opinion the best armor museum in the USA is at the Aberdeen US Army Ordnance Museum but the display at the Patton Museum is a close second if for nothing else the Tiger II and Panther tanks. Those two are as rare as they come.

·
96,339 Posts
I recall the cut-away King Tiger from when I was at Aberdeen for Ordnance Officer Basic and MOS course, in 1966. They ahd an SP of some sort also cut away. Can't recall now - maybe a Hetzer.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aberdeen had a Tiger I that became the object of conflict with the German armor museum. The Germans claimed, correctly, that the outdoor storage of the tanks at Aberdeen was allowing them to rust and corrode away. Last I heard the Tiger I had not been returned by the Germans but that was a few years ago.

·
Diamond Member
709 Posts
Thanks for the photos, my little digital camera did not have enough flash for any of the inside photos to work.

Great job, lets see the Patton side.

Thanks again

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
96,339 Posts
That "Everything is going to be moved to Fort Lee" is a recipe for spending a LOT of man-hours and dollars. There is a LOT of stuff at Aberdeen, and it is scattered all over the post. Some along roads, some next to shop and instructional buildings, and I'll bet none of that has been moved to the outdoor storage area next to the museum building. May not even be known to exist, as I'll bet a lot of the stuff sitting as static displayed here and there isn't on any property books or inventories. And some of it is REALLY big - the twin 12.7 (or maybe 12.8) cm AA mount, the 22,000 pound GP bomb, things like that. And of course Leopold and the 16" gun (is it one of the Navy 16"/50 Mark II guns built originally for the 1916 program capital ships - Lexington-class battle cruisers and South Dakota-class battleships - or one of the very ponderous Army 16" coast defense Rifles, Model of 1919 I think?) and Atomic Annie and such. What a job. Boy would I like to watch...

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
66,318 Posts
if it is not on the books, it would look nice in our front yards.

·
96,339 Posts
There were some real oddities out around the instructional; area. Most buildings (well, maybe just "a lot of buildings") had something sitting next to it. 90mm SPAT. Some thing with a rotary cannon,. but not a Vulcan 20mm (memory suggests it was either a .60 caliber, which I know we experimented a bit with or a 37mm). Tracked chassis, two man gun crew who sat under Plexiglas bubbles (wonder if it had air conditioning?), on-carriage radar dish feeding the fire control gear. Other things. I have a lot of slides that I hope to scan into the computer one of these days.

·
Registered
675 Posts
wow. long time since I was here. The LST building @ fort Knox ( may it rest in peace) was built so the design engineers could figure how to ventilate the exaust fumes from the craft. It is one of the oldest structures on post. They moved USATCA & all armor related equipment & displays years ago. that's when I realized " you can never go back" & I only live 100 mi. west of knox.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts