Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have today come to possess a rifle I believe to be a pattern 53. Am I right?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,025 Posts
Looks like it, but as stated, you will need to find the inspection proofs to confirm what exactly you have, and identify what contract it may have filled. At least it's not a Nepal "copy" ;-)

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are algsise left side barrel. Going to separate barrel this morning and will look under it

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took some pics underside the barre
Proof marks? Then ther is one I cant get a picture of that looks like PJ 12 crown. A crown above it

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Well you're on the right path. A Potts&Hunt lock and a Deakin marked barrel and all surely point to a trade made War Department contract piece.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. I brought it to an antique dealer who I buy some of my guns from. He confirmed what you just said. The pics dont show it but the rifle is in real bad shape and missing pieces. Monetary value is at wall hanger status. There is the historic value. I plan to give it an overhaul and hang it on the wall. Been a real learning experience. thanks for your help. Many have put in a lot of effort

·
Silver Bullet member
1,025 Posts
Yes. I brought it to an antique dealer who I buy some of my guns from. He confirmed what you just said. The pics dont show it but the rifle is in real bad shape and missing pieces. Monetary value is at wall hanger status. There is the historic value. I plan to give it an overhaul and hang it on the wall. Been a real learning experience. thanks for your help. Many have put in a lot of effort
If it has a full stock, you are way ahead of my Lancaster Armory Co P53, postwar shotgun conversion. ...that was sanded with coarse grit and browned.... And the lock gutted.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts