Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remember correctly the American enfield model of 1917 was built from the tooling of the pattern 14. Can some one post pics. of a pattern 14 or two? I am intersted in the similarities and differences between the Pat.14 and the 1917 enfield.

The reason. I was gifted a sport modified 1917 and took it to an informal range this weekend.
The place was busy so I didn't set up targets, just shot "targets of opportunity" un broken clays from the other shooters there. We (two groups of strangers) traded guns and ammo around while shooting for about 3-4 hours. Every one that shot the old enfield commented on its smooth action, great feel (heft, ergonomics, etc.) and the fact that no one missed even one time with it (wow).

If the pat.14 is anything like the 1917 it must be a heck of a rifle and makes me want one.

any help or more info appreciated

Wheeler44

·
Registered
273 Posts
They are almost indentical,

Except that the Pattern 14 is in .303, versus 30.06 for the M1917. Most of the differences are due to the different rounds, so thing like boltheads don't interchange. The stocks are also slightly different, most Pattern 14's have provisions for volley sites.

Sorry, no pics with me, however, I own a 1917 Remington Pattern 14 and absolutely love it. Extremely accurate and a joy to shoot. It is more accurate than my K31, at least in my hands.

If you can find one, I suggest picking one up. P14s seem to go for less that M1917s, wait until a nice one comes along and you won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas

thanks youngsurplusnut and anlseyj, judging from the pics. there isn't a whole lot of difference between them, kinda what I thought coming from the same tooling etc.
I sure like the way mine shoots, a little heavy but what the heck.
Anyone else have anything on these old soldiers?

Wheeler44

·
Registered
254 Posts
The only decent book on these rifles - "The US Enfield" by Skennerton, is out of print and fetches £80 second-hand.

Very good read.

We start novice shooters on P14s. Low recoil and very accurate.

·
Gold Bullet member
542 Posts
thanks youngsurplusnut and anlseyj, judging from the pics. there isn't a whole lot of difference between them, kinda what I thought coming from the same tooling etc.
I sure like the way mine shoots, a little heavy but what the heck.
Anyone else have anything on these old soldiers?

Wheeler44
Can you answer your personal messages

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
get "united states rifle modle of 1917" by c.s. ferris , and strattons vol.4 "the pattern 1914 and US model 1917 rifles"
both are good resouces , there didnt used to be an overabundance of info on these but ferris's book has improved that a bunch ,
they are both excelent rifles , while not really enfields they were developed there , a mauser clone based somewhat on the M1903 rifle they were considering , it retains the cock-on-closing and butstock style of the enfeild and incorporates the magazine and foreend of the M1903 with those great sights

·
Registered
265 Posts
Huh, I thought the RE in oval was the late Eddystone marking. Learn something new every day. BTW, I know they're rare as hens teeth, but if anyone has a spare front dial pointer for P14 volley sites, I would love to hear from you.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
BTW, I know they're rare as hens teeth, but if anyone has a spare front dial pointer for P14 volley sites, I would love to hear from you.
Enfield Lock make a terrific repro. I put one on mine and it's the ducks guts (Aussie, for real good mate)!!

Cheers
Darren.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Do you have a site link or email address for them? If it's EFD by another name, I already know about them, and yes their repros look excellent. I just can't justify ponying up that much for repros right now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all who posted. They are so much alike ( I kind of thought they would be) I cannot understand why they weren't more popular at the time. Maybe too expensive to build or something. The one I have is such a good shooter.

Wheeler44

·
Registered
273 Posts
It seems everybody that has a Pattern 14/ M1917 really likes it,

I cannot understand why they aren't that popular, I absolutely love mine, it can put most rifles in my collection to shame...

Perhaps its the fact the guns are kind of a hybrid Mauser/Enfield, making them the red-headed stepchild of milsurps...

I dunno, but I'm not that worried, we people that own them can just continue to enjoy them :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Its the Skill

Try shooting one in rapid fire against a Lee Enfield and you might get a clue... :)
I would back a bloke using a P14 against a bloke using an M98 or M17 for that matter with practice you can achieve a very acceptable rate of fire mind you I have seen Ben Doherty in action and its just a blurr

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
The doglegged bolt handle imitates the bolt knob placement of the SMLE by design. The cockonclosing simulates the feel of operation, so anyone familiar with the SMLE finds making the transition to the P14/M1917 rather easy.

Both rifles were relegated to second line following the Great War, so for decades neither got the recognition they deserved. In the UK, it wasn't an "Enfield" and in the US it wasn't a "Springfield". Both names were commonly used to describe the military rifle of the day. In fact, I've met a few WW2 vets who casually refered to their M1's as "My Springfield" instead of saying "My rifle".
Compared to Springfields and SMLE's, the P14/M1917's felt heavy and chunky and lacked both the eye appeal and noteriety of the others. When surplused they were dirt cheap in comparrison and were looked upon as merely a chassis for building a deer rifle.
I've always had a soft spot for these rifles as an Eddystone M'17 was my very first CF longarm. I have several models now.
Times have changed and history has taught us just what an impact these rifles served in their days. Car collectors are even seeking out Desoto's and Studebakers! :)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
IMO, they'd be a lot more popular at a lower price. As it stands, you can still occasionally find an intact original MkIII for what a redone P'14 will fetch.

Both the P'14 and the M1917 are fine rifles...but the "sexy" factor will always be with the M1903 and the ShtLE.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
"......but the "sexy" factor will always be with the M1903 and the ShtLE..."
These M17s aren't sexy???

Top: Remington from the 36,000 range.
Bottom: Eddystone with a P-H 5B and J-A two groove.
Unlike the Krag-Mauser of 1903, these sweet babies hold SIX rounds of .30-'06----how sexy is that?
-----krinko

1 - 20 of 21 Posts