Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this P-14 rifle today. Looks like one of the CAI imports from the 80s. I gave $475.00 OTD for it. I've not cleaned it yet and it still has a lot of cosmo on it.

LOL...It smells like the local Woolworth's surplus rifle section did back in the day....Funny how a just a smell can remind you of something 40 years past.

It needed a stacking hook/screw that I've already ordered. The wood is in very good shape (no cracks and minimal dings) and was not sanded to heck and gone. I believe after a good cleaning with DA and a few coats of linseed oil it will look good.

I was able to clean the bore at the shop where I got it from and it is very strong.

Otherwise it's a pretty typical refurb with a force-matched bolt, the filled-in stock disk hole, and removed volley sights. Other than the "pointer" being missing on the front volley sight at least the disk still shows all the markings.
Musical instrument Water Wood Flooring Air gun

Automotive tire Wood Rim Tints and shades Automotive wheel system

Wood Automotive tire Bumper Tool Household hardware

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
***SMELLS LIKE WOOLWORTHS * * *

Made me smile. I know what you mean. Raised in the US. Creaky wooden floors. Plenty of "stuff" in bins and barrels.
But....I imagine Australians thinking, "It smelled like a grocery store??".

Woolworths five & dime (some having a lunch counter) certainly smelled different in our hemisphere! :giggle:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We had a Roses with the same racks upon racks of P-14s, FN-49s, SMLEs, and such but it did not have the same smell to it like Woolworth's did because they had a separate sporting goods department where all the mil-surps were and Roses was more open.

The funny thing was if you used the rear entrance to Woolworths you had to pass the mil-surps before you got to the rest of the store.

LOL.....I always wondered how many people brushed-up against them on their way in and got cosmo on them.

·
Registered
13,430 Posts
The Woolworth's I was dealing with back then opened in 1969, in a local mall that had just opened. They definitely had the rifles on sale there, but not sitting out on the floor. There were no smells to associate with the gun department.

That mall pretty much was out of business by about 2000, and they tore it all down about ten years ago,

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I got it tore apart this evening and must have got a couple ounces of caked-on cosmo out of it. The bolt body was packed. Blah, shades of Yugo SKSs.

The good news is i worked on the bore some more and it came out sharp and shiny.

I'll de-cosmo the barreled action tomorrow and then get to work on the stock. I think it's going to turn-out to be a pretty nice example. :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got it completed and it turned-out OK.....I did remove the stock biscuit and replaced it with a blank ID disk. The metal was in exceptional shape and I was pleasantly surprised with the way the stock turned-out.

After I degreased it and let it dry (no sanding) I hit it with a few rubbed-in coats of raw linseed oil and it really brought out the red in the walnut.

Wood Asphalt Metal Soil Terrestrial animal

·
Gold Bullet member
12,084 Posts
OP:

Nice rifle. Congrats!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts