Gunboards Forums banner

Patten 1907 aging

356 Views 15 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  DisasterDog
Trying to figure out the age on the Patten 1907. I cant find anything on the specific numbers on this one.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
It’s a Sanderson, December ‘17?
It’s a Sanderson, December ‘17?
I think thats an 11 but I could be wrong. is that second number the year it was made?
Yes, the second number is the year.

A 1911 would have a hooked quillon, which has a different shape of crossguard, even if the hook has been removed.
Reactions: 1

A 1911 would have a hooked quillon, which has a different shape of crossguard, even if the hook has been removed.
Oh I gotcha. I have seen those too. So on the other side, the crowns with the number 59 under them and the IV E above that, do you know what that means?
Those are acceptance marks...the X is a pass on the "bend" test.
i looked at that site last night but didn't find anything matching the numbers that mine had.

Is there anyway to tell if it was used in a war or not? I know the answer to that but just thought id ask.
Is there anyway to tell if it was used in a war or not? I know the answer to that but just thought id ask.
I guess you could scrape the blade and see if there is any blood / DNA.
The DNA might match up to a vendor 10 years ago. Can’t charge that person in a paternity suit, so no monthly bayonet care payments.

Among the 3 inspectors marks, that IV looks more like a 1V.
Reactions: 2
Disaster dog, you must be related to superman (no pun in any way intended). The 12th month is easy. I can see the top stroke of 1 but not a 7.
"AUSTRALIA" stamped on one grip so this had been in Australian service before being surplussed off to the US in the early 1960s.
So I just had another look and is the muzzle ring sort of bent!
I reckon it might be 12 '15? Just the vertical back stroke of the 5 visible?
I reckon it might be 12 '15? Just the vertical back stroke of the 5 visible?
I think that’s what’s going on. I had thought it was a serif on a “7”, but I’ve only had a few minutes to look at online images & can’t find an example, no time to go through my own.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts